from a friend who teaches at vandy: on jay cutler

What happened against LSU?  I heard he was sacked a whole bunch, picked off acouple times, and totally shaken by the Tiger's D.  Does he have any mobility, or is he a sitting duck back there?

589795[/snapback]

I don't think he is "McNair In His Heyday" elusive - but he's mobile. I can't remember which game, but this past season, he made one play where he was being chased by two guys and they had him in the grasp practically folded and he threw a laser to a WR.

He got beat up. But, he limped to the huddle. Yelling at guys at sh*t - whooping it up. He's not a whoop it up guy - but it was like something got him goin...Funny as hell...

As for the fumbleitis stuff - I don't remember him having a chronic problem with it ala Travis Henry. Small hands or not...

I'm not suggesting we draft the guy - I don't think we've seen all we have to see of JP. I'm just saying Cutler is a wise investment for anybody who needs a QB.

Charles

your buddy's story leaves the door open for cutler to be kidd or murray, in other words he can be the one superstar or a hanger on.

if he is the hanger on, who on vandy is a star?

mayock from NFL network (who i think does a good job in ranking guys and showing you why he has them ranked that way) has cutler at number 1, perhaps 2 after a not great senior bowl.

i hope he is a very good looking qb on draft day, if 3 qbs, 2 rbs ( memphis guy and bushy), and hawk are the top 6 picks then we get one of williams, fergesun or ngata.

the point is that guys like lamond murray (and many others) get all hyped up despite the fact that they performed poorly in big games against poor opponents.  speaking of cal, in 1996 three of their defensive players were drafted in the first 40 picks: regan upshaw at 13 overall, duane clemons at 16, and je'rod cherry at 40. this occurred despite the fact that they had one of the worst defenses in the country in 1995. not surprisingly, none of them turned out to be very good in the pros despite their very good measuables.

589709[/snapback]

Duane Clemons has been on the B'gals squad the last few years. In the '04 season he was eventually beaten out by then-rookie DE Robert Geathers. He sat out several games last year - some sort of vioilation of NFL drug policy.

He's had a few good moments, but I think he stuck around because with the exception of Geathers and fellow DE Justin Smith, Cincinnati's DL is a poor one with little depth.

Guest BackInDaDay
I don't think he is "McNair In His Heyday" elusive - but he's mobile.  I can't remember which game, but this past season, he made one play where he was being chased by two guys and they had him in the grasp practically folded and he threw a laser to a WR.

He got beat up.  But, he limped to the huddle.  Yelling at guys at sh*t - whooping it up.  He's not a whoop it up guy - but it was like something got him goin...Funny as hell...

As for the fumbleitis stuff - I don't remember him having a chronic problem with it ala Travis Henry.  Small hands or not...

I'm not suggesting we draft the guy - I don't think we've seen all we have to see of JP.  I'm just saying Cutler is a wise investment for anybody who needs a QB.

Charles

590627[/snapback]

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. 0:)

I hope that Marv calls your teacher friend on draft day. When i played baseball at ASU professors were all over the place evaluating talent, and submitting their findings to MLB scouts  0:)

591026[/snapback]

jeezus christ, you guys, he was half-joking and anyway doesn't pretend to be in the business of evaluating players. i thought it was funny, largely because i remember cal's epic choke job, but i realize others may think i have a bad sense of humor. that said, he played football in high school (his dad was a coach) and follows vandy reasonably closely.