Sexual Offender Registry

Movinon

So i took a look at Tallahassee, and was wondering...is it bad if you click on a square and it says, "multiple offenders found at this address" Guess i know where to avoid trick or treating...

590035[/snapback]

In Syracuse, there's an apartment building that most convicted/just released peds live. Here there were about 15-20 names listed under that one dot, a red one. The one you saw could be the same deal.

It was in Illinois somewhere.

Just one of the examples of the problems of these "sexual predators" lists.  Not infrequently they're a knee-jerk reaction to a significantly over-hyped problem that haven't been given enough thought into their relation to other laws.  Not unlike the PATRIOT Act in relation to the legality of using agencies of national security for warrantless wire-taps.  Knee-jerk laws are a bad idea, no matter how well-intended they are.

And that's beside the constitutional issues with sexual predators lists.  Every criminal attorney I know (more than a few) expect these lists to be overturned on constitutional issues if it ever gets to the Supreme Court.  There's not insignificant constitutional issues with punishment continuing after your judicially-decided sentence is served...

590121[/snapback]

It also happened in the West Michigan area. Couldn't give you the details because I moved out of the area, but not only has this happened but more then once. Can you even imagine the feeling of your Neighbors finding your name clumped together with some of these sick MF?

It was in Illinois somewhere.

Just one of the examples of the problems of these "sexual predators" lists.  Not infrequently they're a knee-jerk reaction to a significantly over-hyped problem that haven't been given enough thought into their relation to other laws.  Not unlike the PATRIOT Act in relation to the legality of using agencies of national security for warrantless wire-taps.  Knee-jerk laws are a bad idea, no matter how well-intended they are.

And that's beside the constitutional issues with sexual predators lists.  Every criminal attorney I know (more than a few) expect these lists to be overturned on constitutional issues if it ever gets to the Supreme Court.  There's not insignificant constitutional issues with punishment continuing after your judicially-decided sentence is served...

590121[/snapback]

Yeah, because we all know sexual predators and pedophiles CAN be rehabilitated, right? So why on Earth would ANYONE want to know if an animal had taken residence in their neighborhood? Nah, that wouldn't be important, would it?

Frankly, I don't think these "people" should even be allowed to live, let alone leave prison.

Yeah, because we all know sexual predators and pedophiles CAN be rehabilitated, right?  So why on Earth would ANYONE want to know if an animal had taken residence in their neighborhood? Nah, that wouldn't be important, would it?

Frankly, I don't think these "people" should even be allowed to live, let alone leave prison.

590679[/snapback]

Which is completely beside the point. Your punishment for a crime ending with your sentence is a principle of the justice system. If you want to punish them for life, amend the law so they can be sentenced to life by a judge. If you don't, there's NO constitutional basis for continuing to punish them after their time is served.

Personally, I agree with you in that I have little problem seeing such people killed. But the sexual predator lists are 1) usually poorly considered and implemented, and 2) almost universally unconstitutional, and 3) basically flawed anyway, in the sense that if someone is enough of a threat to society that they have to be tracked and hounded for the rest of their lives, why aren't they still locked up??? 0:)