Special Edition Dune

/dev/null

i never saw the movie but it was the first rts game i ever played with sound.

589169[/snapback]

I was one of the few hundred to see this when it was released at the theatre :D It was confusing for those who did not read any of the books. They had to pass out a special flyer with a quick summary of the different houses, spice, worms, and the like. Nothing like watching a movie that requires a guide!

It bombed, although I was in bliss. Great geek movie!

Sting was GREAT BTW.

Its a great flick and I can't wait to get the special edition!

"Weirding modules".  :D  Stupid-ass movie.  The Sci-Fi channel's mini-series adaptation was better.

589181[/snapback]

No way on both accounts :D

Take into consideration when the first Dune was released. The FX were top notch for the time, and still better than the newer version ( I own both :lol: ), but they are both enjoyable.

No way on both accounts :D

Take into consideration when the first Dune was released.  The FX were top notch for the time, and still better than the newer version ( I own both :lol: ), but they are both enjoyable.

589184[/snapback]

I'll give the cinematic release props for effects, of course. But the story was butchered FAR too much, even far more than was necessary to fit such a dense book into a 2+ hour movie. The "weirding modules" are a prime example...like the stupid "midichlorian" bull sh-- in Star Wars: The Phantom Blemish, it was an unnecessary cop-out to avoid dealing with the human themes that were the point of the story to begin with. (Contrast that with the most recent "Pride and Prejudice" release, in which the producers did a very creditable job of cramming a three volume novel into a 2:10 movie while remaining true to the central themes and points of the book...and by the way, Keira Knightley can seriously act.)

Even by my relatively low expectations for any book being made into a movie, Dune sucked. Frankly, "Battlefield Earth" was a better adaptation of a book than "Dune" was...and Battlefield Earth really sucked. :D

I'll give the cinematic release props for effects, of course.  But the story was butchered FAR too much, even far more than was necessary to fit such a dense book into a 2+ hour movie.  The "weirding modules" are a prime example...like the stupid "midichlorian" bull sh-- in Star Wars: The Phantom Blemish, it was an unnecessary cop-out to avoid dealing with the human themes that were the point of the story to begin with.  (Contrast that with the most recent "Pride and Prejudice" release, in which the producers did a very creditable job of cramming a three volume novel into a 2:10 movie while remaining true to the central themes and points of the book...and by the way, Keira Knightley can seriously act.) 

Even by my relatively low expectations for any book being made into a movie, Dune sucked.  Frankly, "Battlefield Earth" was a better adaptation of a book than "Dune" was...and Battlefield Earth really sucked.  :D

589189[/snapback]

Battlefield Earth ? GOOD LORD that is ugly :D:lol: One thing I remember about the train wreck was when the slaves suddenly could fly jets :):lol::D:w00t::w00t: Now that is some comedy ...

Battlefield Earth ? GOOD LORD that is ugly  :D  :D  One thing I remember about the train wreck was when the slaves suddenly could fly jets :)  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :w00t:  Now that is some comedy ...

589192[/snapback]

The one thing I liked about Battlefield Earth is...well...that it ended. :w00t: Horrible movie, right down there with "Volcano". Dune, though...I'd still sooner watch Battlefield Earth or Volcano than I would that pile of tripe they released as Dune.

The book was actually pretty decent...if you're not some sort of scientology extremist (either way, pro- or anti-). Good enough that I devoured it (1200 pages) in a couple of days. Not great, though...but certainly readable and entertaining.

The book was actually pretty decent...if you're not some sort of scientology extremist (either way, pro- or anti-).  Good enough that I devoured it (1200 pages) in a couple of days.  Not great, though...but certainly readable and entertaining.

589197[/snapback]

I read the book also, I was working on a help desk at the time, so all I did all day sitting there waiting for the phone to ring was read it. I liked it overall, though I can never see them making the second part of it into a movie.

I am a huge Dune fanatic, I have read just about everything that Frank Herbert ever wrote. I liked the movie for what it was, an adaption of one of my favorite stories, which came out in the golden part of my youth. That being said, I think the movie was seriously flawed.

Tom is right, the "weirding modules" were seriously lame. The fact is, the didn't even have to use them, why not just make it clear that the Bene Gesserit were superior warriors, due to thier intense mental and physical training. The other part I didn't like was the whole heartplugs by the Harkonnens, but I can see the need for them, to show thier savagery and such.

And they did in fact make the second book into a movie, it is in the first hour of Children of Dune miniseries on SciFi, which is EXCELLENT. Here's to hoping they make God Emperor of Dune next.

The novels are very engaging, and in fact, are sometimes hard to read because of the sophistication of Herbert's writing style. By contrast, his son Brian's writing is more traditional. Brian Herbert is planning on writing the mythical "Dune 7" at some point, which will actually be two books, finishing the story left hanging at the end of Chapterhouse...

EDIT: Ah, Jack and Tom were probably refering to L. Ron's stuff, not Dune. My bad.

I am a huge Dune fanatic, I have read just about everything that Frank Herbert ever wrote. I liked the movie for what it was, an adaption of one of my favorite stories, which came out in the golden part of my youth. That being said, I think the movie was seriously flawed.

Tom is right, the "weirding modules" were seriously lame. The fact is, the didn't even have to use them, why not just make it clear that the Bene Gesserit were superior warriors, due to thier intense mental and physical training. The other part I didn't like was the whole heartplugs by the Harkonnens, but I can see the need for them, to show thier savagery and such.

And they did in fact make the second book into a movie, it is in the first hour of Children of Dune miniseries on SciFi, which is EXCELLENT. Here's to hoping they make God Emperor of Dune next.

The novels are very engaging, and in fact, are sometimes hard to read because of the sophistication of Herbert's writing style. By contrast, his son Brian's writing is more traditional. Brian Herbert is planning on writing the mythical "Dune 7" at some point, which will actually be two books, finishing the story left hanging at the end of Chapterhouse...

EDIT: Ah, Jack and Tom were probably refering to L. Ron's stuff, not Dune. My bad.

589544[/snapback]

Yes, I was referring to Bettlefield Earth being "merely" very good. Dune, however, is great. If it weren't pigeon-holed into the "sci-fi" genre the literary world is so prejudiced against, it would be considered a classic work of literature and not just science fiction.

The sequels, though...Dune Messiah bored me. Children of Dune was good. It took me eight years to get through God Emperor, seven years of which was spent trying to read past page 187 (I don't know what it was about that page, but I always said "This book is offal" and put it down at that point.) Heretics of Dune has been sitting on my bookshelf for 20 years, unread. Occasionally I pick it up and try to read it...never get past the third page.

Brian Herbert's prequels were decent in their own right...but when considered not in their own right but in light of the whole Dune series, they sucked. Needlessly naive with wooden and unappealing characters.

Yes, I was referring to Bettlefield Earth being "merely" very good.  Dune, however, is great.  If it weren't pigeon-holed into the "sci-fi" genre the literary world is so prejudiced against, it would be considered a classic work of literature and not just science fiction. 

The sequels, though...Dune Messiah bored me.  Children of Dune was good.  It took me eight years to get through God Emperor, seven years of which was spent trying to read past page 187 (I don't know what it was about that page, but I always said "This book is offal" and put it down at that point.)  Heretics of Dune has been sitting on my bookshelf for 20 years, unread.  Occasionally I pick it up and try to read it...never get past the third page.

Brian Herbert's prequels were decent in their own right...but when considered not in their own right but in light of the whole Dune series, they sucked.  Needlessly naive with wooden and unappealing characters.

589741[/snapback]

You definitely are challenged reading Herbert the elder, without doubt. I have read them all several times, and still have to go back and re-read portions two or three times to understand it. I took a writing course last year that taught me the sentence length + big words = grade level equivalent necessary for reading. If that were the case, you would have to be a Nobel Prize winner in chemistry and physics to read DUNE.

By contrast, Brian Herbert's (with KJA) books were much more mainstream with respect to reading comprehension. Which is really the difference between the two writers I would say. Frank Herbert's books really challenged you to think about what you were reading, and contained more of a moral to the story. Brian's stuff is mearly entertainment value fair at best...