Offensive Line equals winner

I agree that a good OL is needed to win, but I disagree with what you need to build a good OL.  Notice you don't mention NE, winner of 3/4 Superbowls, or DEN, widely regarded as the best OL in the game.  That's because they don't spend high draft picks on OL.  What builds a good OL is good schemes and continuity.

589043[/snapback]

I beg to differ. The 2 teams in the Super Bowl have a combined 5 players picked in the 1st round. In other words 50% of the starting OLs in the SB are 1st round picks.

Pittsburgh has 3 1st, 1 2nd, and a 3rd round pick on their OL. Average of 1.6

Seatle had 2 1st, 1 3rd, 1 5th and an undrafted on their OL. Average of 3.6(assuming an 8th for the undrafted)

The Bills had a 3rd, 5th, 7th and 2 undrafted for an average of 5. If you include Williams instead of Peters you'd have an average of 3.2.

Ide say they are about equal, although the QB is harder to find, so I think the QB is more important because you normally have to have one fall in your laps or your looking almost every year for another one.

588619[/snapback]

Or, you just need to let him develop and find comfort with his targets and with the position in general. See: Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees.

Roethlisberger and Brady are the exceptions, not the rule.

Or, you just need to let him develop and find comfort with his targets and with the position in general.  See: Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees.

Roethlisberger and Brady are the exceptions, not the rule.

589221[/snapback]

Really? SD was pretty much done with Brees, and then all of sudden the switch goes on.

Teams dont know what to do when it comes to QB's. The NFL was split on Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning.

They dont know how long to give a guy and when to pull the plug and move on. Its by far the hardest position to fill, and is by far the most important position on the team.

SD is the perfect example. A group of lineman that SD fans wanted booted out of town, the switch goes on for Brees, and then bingo, they are one of the best OL's in football on one of the best offenses.

Really?  SD was pretty much done with Brees, and then all of sudden the switch goes on.

Teams dont know what to do when it comes to QB's.  The NFL was split on Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning.

They dont know how long to give a guy and when to pull the plug and move on.  Its by far the hardest position to fill, and is by far the most important position on the team.

SD is the perfect example.  A group of lineman that SD fans wanted booted out of town, the switch goes on for Brees, and then bingo, they are one of the best OL's in football on one of the best offenses.

589223[/snapback]

Sure, the switch went on. But it would have been so much less likely if he had been getting pulled for Doug Flutie every four games and sitting the next four.

I think most football personnel would say it takes around 3 years for a QB to really get his head into the NFL game and find his comfort zone. My question is are we going to give JP that much time?

For a QB like Leaf who was an obvious cancer, it's easier to see early on that he's not the answer. I see no such problems inherent in JP's character -- the real problems for the team were with his rise to the position, dictated from without (not by him).

I hate hammering this one into the ground, but he needs to fight for the job and win it.

I hate hammering this one into the ground, but he needs to fight for the job and win it.

589228[/snapback]

Yes he does.

I dont think its smart to just hand over the job to someone unless they are on a bad football team not really thinking about playoffs, but rebuilding. The Bills definatley werent in rebuild mode going into last season.