Counsel in the crease

plenzmd1

Not sure if anyone has read this book, but I am bout half way through. Found some things really interesting.

1) in 1968, looked like Buffalo was getting an MLB expansion team. As a matter of fact, the NY Daily News, in its afternoon additions, said Buffalo was awarded a franchise, but Montreal came in and stole it. Hate those rat bastard HABS.

Number one, George Steinbrenner had a 25% piece of the group. Could you just see the BOSS owning a team in Buffalo, amd it was oh so close.

Number two about that situation was the financing was all lined up for a domed staduim complex similiar to what KC has. Wow, we were that close to getting a dome. The reason MLB said they didn't come to Buffalo was the race riots on Jefferson ave that year, and they felt no one would come to the Rockpile while the new stadium was being built.

In terms of the Sabres, they was fugged to in the first go around. Then the Oakland/California Seals got in financial trouble, and the league begged the Knox's to help with some cashola, so they actually owned that team for a spell. Also, the NHL offered the KNox's a team in another market, but god bless em, they refused and waited for a team in Buffalo.

A lot of other interesting tidbits in the book, like how powerful the owner/ publisher of the Niagara Falls Gazette was. Looking at it now, thats just hard to imagine.

The book itself, in my mind, is poorly writtten, but it has some fascinating stuff in there.

Again, name of the book is"Counsel in the Crease" by Robert Swados. I bought it off Amazon

Swados sounds familiar. I believe he was in the Sabres organization. One interesting thing about the Buffalo Bisons hockey team is that for a time they played in Fort Erie.

There were a lot of riots in 1968. In Buffalo and cities all across the country (Vietnam, MLK assassination, etc.) there was incredible anger. Even as a little kid I sensed it and saw some of it. I went to high school with kids from the fruit belt and they used to tell me how they didn't like going down Jefferson. I am amazed that the Sears at Jefferson and Main stayed open as long as it did.

If I can find it, I will check out the book.

Swados sounds familiar.  I believe he was in the Sabres organization.  One interesting thing about the Buffalo Bisons hockey team is that for a time they played in Fort Erie.

There were a lot of riots in 1968.  In Buffalo and cities all across the country (Vietnam, MLK assassination, etc.) ther was incredible anger.  Even as a little kid I sensed it and saw some of it.  I went to high school with kids from the fruit belt and they used to tell me how they didn't like going down Jefferson.  I am amazed that the Sears at Jefferson and Main stayed open as long as it did.

If I can find it, I will check out the book.

589554[/snapback]

Swados was the team's Corporate Counsel from day 1. He was #3 in the food chain behind Seymour and Norty. I believe he held a minority stake in the team as well.