Here is a sad offensive stat to ponder.

The_Real

OFFENSIVE LINE

Starters - LT Mike Gandy, LG Bennie Anderson, C Trey Teague, RG Chris Villarrial,

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/9195988

RT Jason Peters. Backups - T/G Mike Williams, C/G Duke Preston, G Justin Geisinger, T Greg Jerman, G Lawrence Smith (injured).

The Bills set a record for fewest yards gained in a 16-game, non-strike season with 4,122, setting the stage for a major overhaul of their front wall. Gandy and Anderson were economy-grade free agent signings last season, moves that didn't make Buffalo's line worse but certainly didn't make it better. Meanwhile, the mid-year benching of RT Williams, the fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft, in favor of Peters, a converted college tight end, signaled the official arrival of panic. Peters held his own but it would be hard to argue he was better than Williams, particularly when McGahee topped 100 yards rushing only once with Peters at right tackle. Williams is willing to make a switch to left guard permanent if that's what the new coaching staff wants, but his $11 million cap figure is an albatross for such a high pick that hasn't yet panned out. Teague, an eight-year veteran and unrestricted free agent, has been a steady if not spectacular performer for five seasons in Buffalo but he's likely to be replaced by the rookie Preston, who played in all 16 games. Villarrial had a sub-par season but is still one of the NFL's tougher inside people.

The fewist yards in a non strike season? Man we suck. DOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

:angry:

The Real

OK fine.  Send me to the site where you got your avatar.

587980[/snapback]

I find the best way to find pictures of hotties is to go to google and do an image search on whom ever you are looking for. Usually 10-15 pages of pictures show up and you just pick one. As for me and Milla, I'll never tell.

t-r

Teague, an eight-year veteran and unrestricted free agent, has been a steady if not spectacular performer for five seasons in Buffalo but he's likely to be replaced by the rookie Preston, who played in all 16 games.

587977[/snapback]

If I am reading this correctly, are they saying Preston played all 16 games? cause I don't remember him playing at all?

The Bills set a record for fewest yards gained in a 16-game, non-strike season with 4,122

587977[/snapback]

Stop bring cold hard facts on this board...dont you realize that its ALL coaching why the Bills arent performing up to their "great" potential? :angry:

The Bills are a LOWER level team. And until the TALENT is upgraded, I dont care if Vince Lombardi rises from the dead and comes back, it wont help that much.

To some Bills Fans: Stop being in denial, the talent on this team is not good at all.

To some Bills Fans:  Stop being in denial, the talent on this team is not good at all.

588053[/snapback]

I'll stop being in denial thinking this team atleast has a few talented players when everyone else stops with the doom and gloom (sorry I meant to say being realist as that is what they like being called)

I'll stop being in denial thinking this team atleast has a few talented players when everyone else stops with the doom and gloom (sorry I meant to say being realist as that is what they like being called)

588071[/snapback]

Well there is a lot of doom and gloom around here thats for sure..thats what 6 years of losing and missing the playoffs brings out.

I want to somewhat rephrase what I said...Bills talent level isnt that good when you compare it to all the teams in the league...SO many middle-lower end teams like Buffalo who can make the same exact claims Bills fans do about "if the coaching is fixed things will get good quick" etc.

Peters held his own but it would be hard to argue he was better than Williams, particularly when McGahee topped 100 yards rushing only once with Peters at right tackle.

Damn, I remember someone saying this and getting blasted. Sorry folks but Peters isn't that good. Agin he does okay again smaller pass rushers, but he has no push and really should never start at RT again. I think he should be given a chance to start at LT wheere his quickness should be an asset. for his size and with some further teaching maybe able to hold his own on power rushers on that side. But as the article points out on the right side he is a downgrade from Mike Williams, at that doesn't speak well to his being a starting quality offensive lineman in the NFL.

Damn, I remember someone saying this and getting blasted.  Sorry folks but Peters isn't that good.  Agin he does okay again smaller pass rushers, but he has no push and really should never start at RT again.  I think he should be given a chance to start at LT wheere his quickness should be an asset. for his size and with some further teaching maybe able to hold his own on power rushers on that side.  But as the article points out on the right side he is a downgrade from Mike Williams, at that doesn't speak well to his being a starting quality offensive lineman in the NFL.

588130[/snapback]

I wholeheartedly disagree. Peters was much better than MW last year. I will concede that his run blocking is still not as good as MW provided when he was healthy. Peters was, by far the best O-lineman on the team last year. He was consistently 5-10 yards downfield on run plays, moreso than any other lineman. He was looing for a second player to distroy after busting through the D-Line.

If anything, my criticism of Peters is that he is a bit lost when no one engages him on run plays. The other place it looks like he needs more coaching is on short yardage plays. He's pretty good on these, but I remember twice last year the defender getting lower than him and plugging up the goaline. Peters was looking for the defender to take him on, when instead they got to the space around his ankles faster.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we can land someone in this year's draft who does better in their first year.

Until people realize the whole oline is crap we'll be stuck in this same positon. Get rid of the qb, get rid of the rb, get rid of the wr... but, Mike Gandy is a good lt :angry:

Jason Peters would be a great asset to this team as a blocking te ala a jason dunn type player. We could really take advantage of his athleticism using him in this role. As a tackle he leaves a lot to be desired. The fact that he seemed to be our most consistent linemen doesnt speak very highly of his counterparts.

Chris Villarriall is getting long in the tooth, and while I think he probably has about 2 years of being productive left, now is probably a good time to look for his replacement.

Trey Teague is a good center if he played in a finese type offense. He cant overpower his man. Horrible run blocker, struggles against big nose tackles. If you want a smashmouth offense not the type of center to have around. Lacks the mean streak you expect from the most important position on the oline imo.

Bennie Anderson.... fat slob who cant pull on simple counters, or traps. Good straight ahead run blocker, pretty much sucks at everything else.

Mike Gandy is an adequate at best starter, and would make a good backup, might even make a decent rg, where you could use him to pull. Still wouldn't start for most nfl teams.

Until we prove in the trenches, you can get any qb, rb, wr you want it wont matter. You win football in the trenches. I realize you cant have allstars at every position but a few simple position changes and upgrades at others will definitly improve the line

First Mike Williams is a tremendous run blocker. I'd give him another chance at rt. I'd let Duke Preston and Mike gandy battle for the rg spot, I'd sign Lecharles Bentley in free agency instantly upgrading the center position. for lg I'd draft USC Guard Taitusi Lutui An absolute monster run blocker even though he's a rook would offer an upgrade to the immobile bennie anderson. for LT, if a more viable option cant be found in the draft or free agency I could live with Mike gandy for another year.

Gandy/Lutui/Bentley/Preston/Williams.

Whatever the bills front office and coaching staff decide to do, the most important aspect to offensive line play is continuity, as long as it isn't the same 5 from this year. The biggest problem with the current line is the interior, being unable to pull puts a major damper on your running game, and the ability to pick up simple dline stunts in pass protection.

He was consistently 5-10 yards downfield on run plays, moreso than any other lineman.  He was looing for a second player to distroy after busting through the D-Line. 

588139[/snapback]

That'd be nice if if his RB wasn't getting tackled behind him for a 1-2 yard gains. :angry:

I agree that Peters' pass blocking was way ahead of his run blocking last year. I blame a lot of that on not being in an O-lineman strength and weight training program last offseason when he was still listed as a TE. It will be interesting to see what kind of shape he shows up in at training camp and whether the new coaching staff is committed to making him a full-time OT this off-season.

I would love to see Peters and Everett in at TE for the Bills. If Peters could line up next to a healthy MW and Villareal, it's hard to image we couldn't consistently gain 5 yards running to the right (so long as WMcG doesn't trip over Shelton). But, back from my fantasy...

Peters is too valuable as a lineman and is the only one I'm convinced can return and hold his own on the O-line next year. Trying to be realistic, my hope is that Gandy plays as well as last year, and is our weakest lineman.

We need to catch a small break, and have either Villareal or MW return to the line healthy next year. If they do, we only have two more spots on the line we have to fill, which is as much as I feel like you can really address in a single off-season.

For me, the 2006 season starts:

Gandy / new / new / Villarial / Peters

or

Peters / new / new / Villarial? / MW (yes, $$ needs adjustment)

should start:

new / new / new / Villarial? / Peters

man, this sucks!

Just the fact that Peters took the spot of a veteran on the team in his first year as an undrafted free agent is good enough for a rookie in my eyes. I'm not saying he deserves rookie of the year nominations, but he definitly deserves some respect and considerations.

588240[/snapback]

Peters would have a hard time getting votes as rookie of the year considering he is in his second year. :angry: