NSA and eavesdropping

Fezmid

OK, well, what if I really AM a bad guy, but someone along the chain decides I'm not?

592219[/snapback]

The deck is pretty stacked in favor of getting the warrant. I believe the number was out of some 20,000 plus requests, less than 15 were turned down. And those that are turned down can be appealed to yet another special court.

I will look for the link for the specific numbers. We covered all this back in the fall.

EDIT:

I was wrong. It looks like the numbers are 1222 out of 1226. They got turned down four times. So you're totally correct, Joe. Having to get a warrant before they tap, or even a year later, is totally threatening the security of the nation.

Edited by Johnny Coli

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deck is pretty stacked in favor of getting the warrant.  I believe the number was out of some 20,000 plus requests, less than 15 were turned down.  And those that are turned down can be appealed to yet another special court.

I will look for the link for the specific numbers.  We covered all this back in the fall.

EDIT:

I was wrong.  It looks like the numbers are 1222 out of 1226.  They got turned down four times.  So you're totally correct, Joe.  Having to get a warrant before they tap, or even a year later, is totally threatening the security of the nation.

592252[/snapback]

It is even worse than that Johnny. Of the 4, two were modified and approved as modified and the other two were appealed successfully so that they were ultimately issued exactly as requested so in essence, all 1226 requests were granted. FISA Annual Report 2002

I ran the numbers going back to 2000 which I took right from the yearly congressional reports and posted all the results including links to the reports not to long ago so I don't know why this kind of disinformation is still floating in the toilet bowl.

The essential number was something along the lines of 96% on the whole and if you toss out warrant requests that the government withdrew itself, warrant requests that were made at the end of the year but not approved until after January 1st (thus making it look in the yearl stats that a request was denied) and the like, the number was, if I recall correctly, 99.5% of all warrant requests by this administration were granted by the FISA Court between 2000 and 2004.

OK, well, what if I really AM a bad guy, but someone along the chain decides I'm not?

592219[/snapback]

If someone in the chain doesn't think you are a bad guy, they aren't goint to tap you anyway. That is the same result under the law or outside of it. If the NSA tells Alberto its a bad guy, he puts that into the certification and signs it and off you go. If the NSA says the target is clean, that would be it under any game plan. The alternative for them would be to tap people they think are good targets and to also tap people they don't think are good targets thus, they end up tapping everyone from Marv Levy to Willy Wonka. Well, if Willy Wonka weren't a fictional character that is.