Our Scouting Dept.

ans4e64

The decisions made on the first day of the draft on who we take are made collectively by the whole organization, GM, HC, Owner, Scouts ect. But the second day the information that the GM's have are relied heavily upon the scouts information. I'm worried that we have bad scouting and here's why. It seems like every year after the 4th round we get no quality players, granted the talent diminished round after round but i mean these guys suck. Here's the guys from the 5th round and after since 2001.

2005:

5 - CB Eric King, i think he will be good, no complaints

6 - OL Justin Geisinger

7 - RB Lionel Gates

2004:

4 - TE Tim Euhus

7 - OT Dylan McFarland

7 - WR Jonathan Smith

2003:

4 - WR Sam Aiken

5 - OG Ben Sobieski

6 - DT Luvale Sape

7 - LB Mario Haggan, no complaints

2002:

5 - DT Justin Bannan

6 - CB Kevin Thomas, no complaints

7 - OG Mike Pucillo

7 - WR Rodney Wright

7 - FB Jarrett Ferguson

7 - LB Dominique Stevenson

These guys arent good, they're not even good special teamers, and most of them arent even on the team anymore. Just wondering what you thought.

Compared to the average 5th round pick, Bannan has done well. Ditto Jonathan Smith. I wonder if most 7th rounders even play for the team that drafts them.

I agree with your point whole-heartedly, but it would be more effective if you didn't have an arbitrary line through the fourth round that includes Tim Euhus but excludes Terrence McGee.

You're right, most of those linemen are pretty gross, but there are several players in that pool who have performed to expectations-- better than you have surmised.

Sam Aiken has been a special teams ace-- as a 4th rounder, we might expect more positional performance, but I have no qualms with him in his current role with the team, and hope we retain him.

Tim Euhus has struggled mightily with injuries (something I hope Everett is able to overcome), but he projected well, and still might develop. Acquiring him where we did, when we did, wasn't foolish and might still pay dividends.

For a 6th round DT, Sape is just fine-- an occasional run stuffer who has shown a few flashes of "something"...enough to keep him on the roster, not half enough to be excited about it.

We were, and are, suffering in the trenches, and the indexes you've provided might speak to the lack of depth, and poor success rates, of latter round linemen-- were there productive players who escaped the Bills radar on the second day of those drafts? The Bills drafting for need on the second day, and "best available" on day one seems to be inverting the conventional saw. CB's and LB's seem to be better yield prospects on the second day, so I'm not surprised we hit on a few of them, but I think your prospectus says worlds about looking for lineman in the nether regions of this year's draft: for every Jason Peters (undrafted), there are five McFarland's.

Yeah, I don't think that's too bad a list, especially when you add undrafted free agents.

587886[/snapback]

Yup no complaints at all. Our early round picks are what has bothered me mostly. A good number of the players you list are still performing for the Bills in certain capacities, almost ALL of them as key players on Special teams. They are good backups in my view.

Do a similar analysis of or early rounds and I think you'll be more disappointed.

the problem has been that Teflon Tom was always looking to make the unexpected, flashy pick in hopes of hitting a homerun.

You need to hit a few HRs, but it seemed a disproportionate number of his picks were spent in this manner, didn't pan out and he didn't have a backup plan.

This is especially true of teh OL where he consistently relied injured players with previous upside to fill gaping holes. (Ben Sobiesky, Kris Ferris, the list goes on)

The decisions made on the first day of the draft on who we take are made collectively by the whole organization, GM, HC, Owner, Scouts ect. But the second day the information that the GM's have are relied heavily upon the scouts information. I'm worried that we have bad scouting and here's why. It seems like every year after the 4th round we get no quality players, granted the talent diminished round after round but i mean these guys suck. Here's the guys from the 5th round and after since 2001.

2005:

5 - CB Eric King, i think he will be good, no complaints

6 - OL Justin Geisinger

7 - RB Lionel Gates

2004:

4 - TE Tim Euhus

7 - OT Dylan McFarland

7 - WR Jonathan Smith

2003:

4 - WR Sam Aiken

5 - OG Ben Sobieski

6 - DT Luvale Sape

7 - LB Mario Haggan, no complaints

2002:

5 - DT Justin Bannan

6 - CB Kevin Thomas, no complaints

7 - OG Mike Pucillo

7 - WR Rodney Wright

7 - FB Jarrett Ferguson

7 - LB Dominique Stevenson

These guys arent good, they're not even good special teamers, and most of them arent even on the team anymore. Just wondering what you thought.

587790[/snapback]

Tough to make any assessments on Gates and Geisinger when they drew little to no playing time. We'll see how they fit in with the new regime.

Calling out the Euhus pick is rather ludicrous. He looked solid before the injury. Many others have been ST regulars on a good squad. You expect these 5-7 picks to strike gold on rare occasion, and most of the rest of the time they are developmental projects or 2-3 year special teamers. That's what they've been, with a few prospects for eventual starters or solid backups.

So what's the problem?

Ditto the previous poster on ignoring the Terrence McGee pick. A difference-making All-Pro in the fourth round? That, my friend, is a fantastic pick.

Hey, it wasn't just TD's watch that had this problem. It's the nature of the draft that we remember the diamonds (few) and forget the turds (many): :angry:

2001:

4 - Brandon Spoon__LB

5 - Marques Sullivan__OT

6 - Tony Driver__FS

6 - Dan O'Leary__TE

6 - Jimmy Williams__CB

7 - Reggie Germany__WR

7 - Tyrone Roberson__DT

2000:

4 - Avion Black__WR

5 - Sammy Morris__RB

6 - Leif Larson__DT