Where is the Bates DC offer right now?

Houston has nowhere to go but up just like the Bills do.  And if they get Fat Ted to return, they'll immensely improve the defense.  And the Bills will have as much as the Texans, if not more, once they cut the deadwood.

588935[/snapback]

Houston still wins, IMO. McNair trumps RW! :D

Which is why Sherman (and possibly Bates) are still in the picture!  :D

Maybe Sherman, who couldn't get a job as a HC and will now work for his bud just to keep his feet wet until next year. But Bates isn't in the picture. So at best they get 1 good coach to coach the O-line, a postion he never coached in the NFL before. Sounds good to me! :D

Maybe Sherman, who couldn't get a job as a HC and will now work for his bud just to keep his feet wet until next year.  But Bates isn't in the picture.  So at best they get 1 good coach to coach the O-line, a postion he never coached in the NFL before.  Sounds good to me! :D

589034[/snapback]

The "O-line" part of Sherman's title is a sham. The "Assistant HC" part isn't, however.

Why should it be a sham?  Why not call him the OC/AHC?  Have they already hired an OC (I don't see one on their website).  And Sherman still hasn't accepted it.

589060[/snapback]

Coaching titles are being used and abused tremendously this year to lock up assistants so they can't jump to other teams.

Troy Calhoun is the Texans' official OC, but there's no way he keeps those responsibilities if Sherman comes on board. McNair seems to be a bit squmish about handing the OC job to a "no name" guy like Calhoun and would feel more comfortable with a proven commodity like Sherman (as RW apparently did).

It's the same in Denver, where Mike Heimedinger was given the Assistant Head Coach title so the OC title could be given to Rick Dennison--so other teams couldn't hire him away from the Broncos.

Look at Washington, they have Associate and Assistant HC's plus an OC and a DC. Then there's the Fins' hiring Dom Capers as "special assistant" to Nick Saban. Yeah, right. :D