A Cure for the Midwinter Blues

The weather outside is lousy, my throat is sore and my ears ache, and since I can't go to warm sunny place for a few weeks, I cheer myself up by looking at -- seed catalogs! Yes, I'm looking forward to the spring when I can go and work in my garden. I find it fun, relaxing, and therapeutic -- you can't stay pi$$ed off when you're picking tomatoes!

Since I don't have alot of room here in the city, I do a lot of container gardening. I plant mostly flowers, but I'd like to try some veggies this year. I heard that bush beans, cukes, and some types of tomatoes grow well in containers.

Growing up on Grand Island, we always had a nice garden. We grew cukes, melons, okra, peas -- nothing compares to the taste of home-grown produce.

I'd like to hear from other gardeners, especially in USDA Zone 6.

Well, I don't think I'm in the same zone as you but I just bought a house with a yard. I've been living in a condo for the last 3 yrs. and have missed having a yard to grow flowers, etc in. It's been raining non-stop here in Oregon for the last two months so the ground is way to soggy to do anything yet. I can't wait until summer! I'm not sure if I'll grow a garden though but we always had home-grown veggies as a kid. I miss that.

Melissa,

You can grow just about anything in a container. I've even heard of potatoes grown in a container. The advantage is that the soil gets warmer faster than growing in the ground. The disadvantage is that it will dry out quicker.

The trick that I have found is to get things to grow vertically. Using a trellis, stake, or cage does the trick. Landscaping tape or twine holds them in place.

I did have a lot of success growing a plum variety of tomatoes last season rather than the regular sized ones. They were $1 / four pack castoffs from Home Depot. Almost too many. One trick with them is to prune the sucker stem that grows between the main stalk and branch. The other trick is to add a can of beer (cheap) when watering.

I guess my biggest suggestion is to just try what looks good and buy stuff that has already been started. If it doesn't do well, don't repeat next year. Good luck.

Well, I don't think I'm in the same zone as you but I just bought a house with a yard.  I've been living in a condo for the last 3 yrs. and have missed having a yard to grow flowers, etc in.  It's been raining non-stop here in Oregon for the last two months so the ground is way to soggy to do anything yet.  I can't wait until summer!  I'm not sure if I'll grow a garden though but we always had home-grown veggies as a kid.  I miss that.

587588[/snapback]

Part of Oregon is actually in zone 6.

You grow some good apples up there -- or is that Washington?

Melissa,

You can grow just about anything in a container.  I've even heard of potatoes grown in a container.  The advantage is that the soil gets warmer faster than growing in the ground.  The disadvantage is that it will dry out quicker.

The trick that I have found is to get things to grow vertically.  Using a trellis, stake, or cage does the trick.  Landscaping tape or twine holds them in place.

I did have a lot of success growing a plum variety of tomatoes last season rather than the regular sized ones.  They were $1 / four pack castoffs from Home Depot.  Almost too many.  One trick with them is to prune the sucker stem that grows between the main stalk and branch.  The other trick is to add a can of beer (cheap) when watering.

I guess my biggest suggestion is to just try what looks good and buy stuff that has already been started.  If it doesn't do well, don't repeat next year.  Good luck.

587915[/snapback]

What does the beer do?

Oh okay, didn't know that.  <_<  Washington is known for its apples, yep.

588685[/snapback]

Here's a hardiness zone map of Oregon:

http://www.mgonline.com/zm_or.jpg

Remember that there can be different "microclimates" even within a backyard, for example, one part may be shady and another very sunny, so just experiment and see what works for you.

Here's a hardiness zone map of Oregon:

http://www.mgonline.com/zm_or.jpg

Remember that there can be different "microclimates" even within a backyard, for example, one part may be shady and another very sunny, so just experiment and see what works for you.

588706[/snapback]

Cool, thanks Melissa! That's interesting about the different microclimates w/i a backyard...never thought of that. My backyard has a big tree in the northeast corner so I'm thinking it may be mostly shady. Not sure yet...I won't be moving there until the end of Feb. It also, it has not been sunny enough to even find out! :D

I'd grow some basil, Italian parsley, rosemary, mint..etc.  Easy to grow and fresh herbs really liven up the cooking.

Is "liven" a word?

588705[/snapback]

Dont forget Chives, Tarragon, Cilantro, Thyme, Chilli Peppers, Tomatos...... One of my dreams it to have a huge green house!

Dont forget Chives, Tarragon, Cilantro, Thyme, Chilli Peppers, Tomatos...... One of my dreams it to have a huge green house!

588917[/snapback]

When i've lived in places where i could have one, i usually plant a "sauce garden". Tomatoes, peppers, herbs...etc. Nothing like fresh sauce from the garden.

When i've lived in places where i could have one, i usually plant a "sauce garden".  Tomatoes, peppers, herbs...etc.  Nothing like fresh sauce from the garden.

588940[/snapback]

Agreed! There is no substitute for fresh herbs and nurtured tomatos. I love to cook and I am quite ambitious in my quest for cooking knowledge. I have yet to master the sauce. I make a very decent sauce but nothing like the sauce in Italy. Give me time. Dean- I can tell you make a killer sauce!