Gameday Adjustments

Corp000085

you know, after watching the comeback on espnclassic earlier today, i realized a few things.

a) I miss those days

b) the single greatest PLAY in bills history was don beebe knocking the ball from leon lett.

c) for all we talk, marv doesn't appear to have aged one day since 1993

d) i really miss those days

e) the bills defense actually switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 MIDGAME... Yes folks, they switched to an entirely different philosophy during the 15 minute intermission. I yearn for the days when the coaching staff wasn't so dumb, and i'm hoping that those days are gone with our new dick jauron. The bills defense didn't have the coaching to switch bitzing schemes mid-season, let alone an entire philosophy change mid-game. And that was with walt corey as the coordinator.

f) it was nice to see jerry gray get torched in that game

I was captivated watching the highlights of that game as well - literally I can remember the where, when, and who of that game like almost none other.

As I watched, I hold a few things pretty close, first of which are the injuries.

1. The Bills played that game without Kelly, Biscuit, and T.Thomas (for the most part).

2. Reed played lights out.

3. Phil Hansen was a star that game and never quit in his pursuit toward the ball.

4. Don Beebe flat out burned corners.

5. Finally, in no particular order:

-Jerry Grey looked absolutely lost

-the lb Seale for the Oilers was absolutely the widest body on the field

- Kenneth Davis looked like a starter

-Marv Levy has seemingly not aged.

A classic that, for me always brings out the best emotions of being a long-time, ardent, and true blue WNY Bills fan.

you know, after watching the comeback on espnclassic earlier today, i realized a few things.

a) I miss those days

b) the single greatest PLAY in bills history was don beebe knocking the ball from leon lett.

e) the bills defense actually switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 MIDGAME...  Yes folks, they switched to an entirely different philosophy during the 15 minute intermission.  I yearn for the days when the coaching staff wasn't so dumb, and i'm hoping that those days are gone with our new dick jauron.  The bills defense didn't have the coaching to switch bitzing schemes mid-season, let alone an entire philosophy change mid-game.  And that was with walt corey as the coordinator. 

587483[/snapback]

Ever since Levy left the coaching staff that we have had knew nothing about half-time adjustments. I pray that is restored......

a) I miss those days

e) the bills defense actually switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 MIDGAME...  Yes folks, they switched to an entirely different philosophy during the 15 minute intermission.  I yearn for the days when the coaching staff wasn't so dumb, and i'm hoping that those days are gone with our new dick jauron.  The bills defense didn't have the coaching to switch bitzing schemes mid-season, let alone an entire philosophy change mid-game.  And that was with walt corey as the coordinator. 

587483[/snapback]

One thing Marv said in one of the interviews on the show today rang like mnusic in my ears, because the bills the past few years have had problems with it...

"Its not the big play thats so important as much as what you do after the big play."

I love this attitude. the bills of the past few years have been pre-occupied with making a turnover, or hitting the bomb. But those plays dont mean squat when you go 3 and out after a turnover, or cant punch it in from the 2 after the big bomb.

Watching that today gave me butterflies again :blink:

Ever since Levy left the coaching staff that we have had knew nothing about half-time adjustments. I pray that is restored......

587518[/snapback]

I appreciate the sentiment, but I will give Wade Phillips, and his staff, for making the best "in-game" adjustments, of any Bills coaching staff, since the Chuck Knox era.

Marv's teams were just damn good, with great depth in most areas, they lost few games, when those guys were in their prime. When they did lose, though, it was normally an ass-whipping from the opening kick-off to the merciful end. I remember calling my brother during half-times of games where the Bills were getting their ass handed to them, and just knowing that the coaching staff (particularly on the defensive side of the ball) wasn't going to change anything.

Of course that era of Bills teams had a lot of great comebacks. In those cases, it was normally a sitution where the offense was just flat...when they woke up, and the special teams (or Steve Tasker moreover) got their game in gear, they were able to seize momentum. I give the players more credit than the coaches in most of those instances.

I saw that Comeback special a few months ago...I do remember the Oilers and Bills players both agreeing that it was the result, as much as the Oilers collapsing, and losing their intensity, as much as the Bills playing great. The Bills players of that era seem to have a great sense of knowing where, and how, momentum could be seized in a game. That is something that has been sorely lacking since the Levy days....

587483[/snapback]

Not as impressive as it sounds. They actually started in a 4-2-5 against the Oilers to try to stop the run and shoot They even tried a 3-2-6 if I'm not mistaken. Weird how Moon had all day to throw, huh? Talley & Bennett were the only 2 linebackers on the field in the first half. At halftime all they did was go back to their base 3-4 defense.

I was fortunate to be at that game. My friends and I noticed the hafltime adjustment immediately, but I think it was quite a gamble. Marv said so in the press conference after the game, when he said the score "could've easily been

70 to 3". I think he was betting that the change and the ability of his linebackers would confuse Moon just enough to throw him off his rhythm.

The atmosphere at that game was amazing. The hair was standing on the back of my neck the whole 4th quarter!

587483[/snapback]

The 3-4 was their base defense that year? How is that an adjustment?

Edit: Oh I see someone already pointed that out. Oh well carry on.

Not as impressive as it sounds.  They actually started in a 4-2-5 against the Oilers to try to stop the run and shoot  They even tried a 3-2-6 if I'm not mistaken.  Weird how Moon had all day to throw, huh?  Talley & Bennett were the only 2 linebackers on the field in the first half.  At halftime all they did was go back to their base 3-4 defense.

587569[/snapback]

The 3-4 was their base defense that year?  How is that an adjustment?

Edit:  Oh I see someone already pointed that out.  Oh well carry on.

587608[/snapback]

I know it was their base defense all year, they had the minds and personnel to make the change, but it was the point that they actually changed formations. It wasn't that impressive for those teams to change to their base formation, or to the 4-2-5. I guess my point was that i miss the days when coaches would actually adjust.

I know it was their base defense all year, they had the minds and personnel to make the change, but it was the point that they actually changed formations.  It wasn't that impressive for those teams to change to their base formation, or to the 4-2-5.  I guess my point was that i miss the days when coaches would actually adjust.

587865[/snapback]

If Walt Corey could coach, they wouldn't have been down by 25 points at half time in the first place.

Not as impressive as it sounds.  They actually started in a 4-2-5 against the Oilers to try to stop the run and shoot  They even tried a 3-2-6 if I'm not mistaken.  Weird how Moon had all day to throw, huh?  Talley & Bennett were the only 2 linebackers on the field in the first half.  At halftime all they did was go back to their base 3-4 defense.

587569[/snapback]

Yup, with a slight correction -- Biscuit was one of the guys in street clothes that day.

I think Marv's postgame quote about going back to the 3-4 was something along the lines of, "if we're going to lose, we're going to lose with our best players on the field."

You might also want to take a minute and review the rosters, that team was absolutely loaded with talent. Yes, I know that players were out. Depth and desire comes into play now (that and the fact that the refs didnt see Beebe step out of bounds, among other things).

no...The Greatest Play In Buffalo Bills History...bar none...was Mike Stratton bone crushing tackle of Keith Lincoln in the championship game against San Diego in 65 or 66. That made us league champions and defined the team as one that practiced what a recent BB coach termed "smash mouth" football.

The thing that stood out to me this time watching it (aside from being reminded what an unbelievable player Reed was) was seeing those screens - with lineman actually getting upfield and killing people. And the play calling - those draws on passing plays - again with linemen actually pulling and getting upfield and hitting people. I kept telling my kids - "when was the last time you saw the Bills execute a play like that!" (and being that they are only 7 years old the answer is *never* :angry::lol: ).

Yup, with a slight correction -- Biscuit was one of the guys in street clothes that day.

587908[/snapback]

So, having Biscuit on the sidelines in street clothes constitutes a "slight" adjustment? That was apretty big deal at that time, as I noted earlier in this thread. Surprising anyone overlooked that.