Marv Levy on draft day

Simon

I keep seeing these comments on Marv's tendencies on draftday and for hte life of me can't figure out where they're coming from. He's never been an NFL GM and I don't believe for a second he had any real input into what Polian did. So where are these assumptions and extrapolations coming from?

And am I the only one who thinks that Marv's primary contribution in this draft will be fetching coffee for Tom Modrak?

I keep seeing these comments on Marv's tendencies on draftday and for hte life of me can't figure out where they're coming from. He's never been an NFL GM and I don't believe for a second he had any real input into what Polian did. So where are these assumptions and extrapolations coming from?

And am I the only one who thinks that Marv's primary contribution in this draft will be fetching coffee for Tom Modrak?

587395[/snapback]

Sure...now he takes Chuck Lester's job? :blink:

Seriously, my recollection is Marv was very invloved in the picks, but Polian was The Man.

So, I doubt Polian's reluctance to trade draft picks had anything to do with Marv. But, I'm virtually certain Marv had a lot of input into the player selected.

But, I'm virtually certain Marv had a lot of input into the player selected.

Living in rural Western Pennsyltucky w/ no internet at the time, I have minimal insight into anything that happened off the field during that time.

But considering that Polian is a ferociously headstrong, single-minded and even combative guy, I just have a hard time picturing him allowing anybody else to have much if any imput into his decisions.

Living in rural Western Pennsyltucky w/ no internet at the time, I have minimal insight into anything that happened off the field during that time.

But considering that Polian is a ferociously headstrong, single-minded and even combative guy, I just have a hard time picturing him allowing anybody else to have much if any imput into his decisions.

587407[/snapback]

Except Marv's not "anybody" in Bill's eyes. Polian owes ML his whole career, and you can tell by every remark he makes that Marv's opinion means a lot to him. They had a partnership, in the truest sense of the word, when it came to putting the team together.

I think Marv will handle it exactly the way TD handled it and virtually every other GM handles it. He will have all kinds of ideas going in. Teams above him making moves will change those ideas. He will cross off players on his board as they are drafted. He will field trade offers and inquire with other teams about trading down. He will discuss these possibilities with Modrak and Jauron and probably Ralph. And then he will make his pick based on all of that together. The only difference is, there is a pretty good chance that in the middle of the draft, Marv, Ralph and Lou Saban will decide to rob a bank in broad daylight and leave the war room.

I think Marv will handle it exactly the way TD handled it and virtually every other GM handles it. He will have all kinds of ideas going in. Teams above him  making moves will change those ideas. He will cross off players on his board as they are drafted. He will field trade offers and inquire with other teams about trading down. He will discuss these possibilities with Modrak and Jauron and probably Ralph. And then he will make his pick based on all of that together. The only difference is, there is a pretty good chance that in the middle of the draft, Marv, Ralph and Lou Saban will decide to rob a bank in broad daylight and leave the war room.

587417[/snapback]

It's great when old guys pull a caper. Fun for the whole family.

the way I see it, GM's make the deals, not the coaches, but that being said, a GM would have to be either a complete fool, or some level of genius that I cannot comprehend to not allow his HC to have some say in which players they pick. Unless the GM spends a ton of time on the field and knows the HC's system as well as the players and coaching staff they probably don't know as well as the coaches which players will fit the system. Just my POV

So, I doubt Polian's reluctance to trade draft picks ...

587402[/snapback]

Not sure I understand this. As I recall, when Polian was around he was quite active on draft day -- trading up or down as needed. After Polian left, the Bills always seemed to stand pat with their draft position.

Not sure I understand this.  As I recall, when Polian was around he was quite active on draft day -- trading up or down as needed.  After Polian left, the Bills always seemed to stand pat with their draft position.

587444[/snapback]

You are correct...I mis-typed. I meant to say "Butler's reluctance"

Thanks

Not sure I understand this.  As I recall, when Polian was around he was quite active on draft day -- trading up or down as needed.  After Polian left, the Bills always seemed to stand pat with their draft position.

587444[/snapback]

I think Polian is being credited for John Butler's prowess of never making deals with his draft picks to a degree. And, Marv is being credited with being the ultimate puppet master.

I don't buy it. Polian, Butler, Levy, Smith, Adams, Wilson, etc. were a team that worked pretty well together in the early years. (Up until Jeffrey Littmann and Polian butted heads anyway.) They got rid of "talents with issues" (Harmon, Burkett, etc.) and built a team.

I think Polian is being credited for John Butler's prowess of never making deals with his draft picks to a degree.  And, Marv is being credited with being the ultimate puppet master.

I don't buy it.  Polian, Butler, Levy, Smith, Adams, Wilson, etc. were a team that worked pretty well together in the early years. (Up until Jeffrey Littmann and Polian butted heads anyway.) They got rid of "talents with issues" (Harmon, Burkett, etc.) and built a team.

587453[/snapback]

That's my take on it. While Polian may have been headstrong, I don't think that there was an instance on draft day in the Polian/Butler/Levy era where there was disagreement over the pick My understanding is that a lot of discussion on every player had been had before draft day, and the slotting was completed, that by the time Bills' pick came up, the selection was academic.

Of course there's the Travares Tillman anomaly.

That's my take on it.  While Polian may have been headstrong, I don't think that there was an instance on draft day in the Polian/Butler/Levy era where there was disagreement over the pick  My understanding is that a lot of discussion on every player had been had before draft day, and the slotting was completed, that by the time Bills' pick came up,  the selection was academic.

Of course there's the Travares Tillman anomaly.

587458[/snapback]

That's pretty much the deal, I think. But, I don't know about the picks being academic. The first pick may have been academic, but after that, the board comes to you. I doubt the Bills anticipated Thurman would drop that far...but, they made the adjustment and picked him.

I think Polian is being credited for John Butler's prowess of never making deals with his draft picks to a degree.

587453[/snapback]

Sure butler never made deals with draft picks except for thsoe 2 brilliant moves in acquiring hobert and RJ for draft picks... :blink:

587395[/snapback]

Not the only one but the only one who usually make sense. :blink:

Marv has a sharp mind and decades of football experience. He was instrumental in bring many people to Buffalo INCLUDING some of the front office staff he worked for. Marv will definitely be helping decide which players to draft and I suspect he will be part of staff interviewing in Indianapolis during combine.

I have a strong gut feeling (or it might be the double order of suicidal wings) that Marv and co. will be trading down this time around.Even if Ngata would be there...its too high to draft a DT.Look what the Jets did to get Robertson..while he is a nice player not a game changer.Having a couple 2nd and 3rd rounders would help both lines greatly.

Not the only one but the only one who usually make sense. :angry:

Marv has a sharp mind and decades of football experience.  He was instrumental in bring many people to Buffalo INCLUDING some of the front office staff he worked for.  M

587494[/snapback]

This is a major misunderstanding.

Marv did not work for any of the front office staff he brought to the Bills.

Polian was hired long before Marv and was instsrumental in bringing in Marv and Butler- all associated from their time in the USFL.

Polian was fired in 1993. From 1993 thru 1997, Marv was HC but he also was VP in charge of football operations. He did not report to Butler. Typical of Ralph's desire to have a say in the Bills, both men reported to him as President. No picks or trades were made without Marv's approval. The trades for RJ and Billy Joe Hobert were made by Butler after Marv retired.

After Polian left and with Marv basically having veto power over all personnel decisions, the Bills made no significant draft day trades- up or down. The stated philosophy was to let the draft come to them.

Although anything is possible, based on Marv's prior history and his conservative nature- it is highly unlikely that the Bills under Marv will be making any blockbuster draft day deals.