Defensive upgrade we need...

Quester74

Everyone in the free world knows that the strength of a defense need to be, first and foremost, up the middle.. this means, DT, MLB, SS and FS..

Now, as far as what I have seen as to what is going to be available with the #8 pick, I think we go with Ngata.

Which brings me to my point. I think we need an upgrade at MLB. I know, I know.. "London Fletcher was our best/most consistant member of the defense."

London had in the neighborhood of 210 or so tackles this year.. but, how many of those were made 6-10 yards downfield. I can't remember the last time I seen London shoot a gap or beat a ball carrier to the hole and stick him for a 1 yard gain. All you hear about this guy is his 'non-stop motor'.. which I give him credit for.. he uses this to compensate for his lack of size. Which kills him from time to time, as he's a master of over-running the play.. and when that happens my grandmother could block him out of the play. :blink: Now, before you ask, no, I don't have a solution to the "problem", either through draft or FA. I just thought I'd give us so food for thought.

Thanks for listening.

All long as I'm here.. anyone think a 5-2 defense would be feasible at the NFL level? I'd treat it as a 4-3 with an extra DT and minus one LB.

Everyone in the free world knows that the strength of a defense need to be, first and foremost, up the middle..  this means, DT, MLB, SS and FS..

Now, as far as what I have seen as to what is going to be available with the #8 pick, I think we go with Ngata.

Which brings me to my point. I think we need an upgrade at MLB.

587169[/snapback]

It would be nice. Fletcher is certainly servicable for the moment, but a good MLB seems to be able to play a long time. For the Bills though, other needs have to come first.

It would be nice. Fletcher is certainly servicable for the moment, but a good MLB seems to be able to play a long time. For the Bills though, other needs have to come first.

587233[/snapback]

I completely agree, but I just wanted to start a thread that didn't include the word "coordinator".. heh

My list of team needs is as follows..

DT, OG, OT, Tall WR

Everyone in the free world knows that the strength of a defense need to be, first and foremost, up the middle..  this means, DT, MLB, SS and FS..

Which brings me to my point. I think we need an upgrade at MLB. I know, I know.. "London Fletcher was our best/most consistant member of the defense."

London had in the neighborhood of 210 or so tackles this year.. but, how many of those were made 6-10 yards downfield. I can't remember the last time I seen London shoot a gap or beat a ball carrier to the hole and stick him for a 1 yard gain. All you hear about this guy is his 'non-stop motor'.. which I give him credit for.. he uses this to compensate for his lack of size. Which kills him from time to time, as he's a master of over-running the play.. and when that happens my grandmother could block him out of the play.  :blink:  Now, before you ask, no, I don't have a solution to the "problem", either through draft or FA. I just thought I'd give us so food for thought. 

Thanks for listening.

All long as I'm here..  anyone think a 5-2 defense would be feasible at the NFL level? I'd treat it as a 4-3 with an extra DT and minus one LB.

587169[/snapback]

5-2 in the Nfl, no. Not with the up and coming te's over the past couple years. To many passing threats on offenses to even try that now.

I completely agree, but I just wanted to start a thread that didn't include the word "coordinator"..  heh

DT, OG, OT, Tall WR

587245[/snapback]

I would love to see AJ Hawk in a Bills uniform but if we have to give up other picks for it, might not be the best move

London had in the neighborhood of 210 or so tackles this year.. but, how many of those were made 6-10 yards downfield. I can't remember the last time I seen London shoot a gap or beat a ball carrier to the hole and stick him for a 1 yard gain. All you hear about this guy is his 'non-stop motor'.. which I give him credit for.. he uses this to compensate for his lack of size. Which kills him from time to time, as he's a master of over-running the play.. and when that happens my grandmother could block him out of the play.  :blink:  Now, before you ask, no, I don't have a solution to the "problem", either through draft or FA. I just thought I'd give us so food for thought. 

Thanks for listening.

All long as I'm here..  anyone think a 5-2 defense would be feasible at the NFL level? I'd treat it as a 4-3 with an extra DT and minus one LB.

587169[/snapback]

In a 4-3 defense, the middle linebacker lives and dies with the defensive tackles playing in front of him. The problwm lies with the DT talent, not the MLB.

I completely agree, but I just wanted to start a thread that didn't include the word "coordinator"..  heh

DT, OG, OT, Tall WR

587245[/snapback]

Good list. I'd like to see a safety, too. It would be nice of one of the better-rated DE's falls to them, but they get scooped up pretty fast.

Agreed on "coordinator". I prefer a Head Coach who turns to the OC/DC now and again and says "Stop that insane blitzing or you will be handing out Gatorade" or "It was 3rd and a half-foot. You pass again under those circumstances, and I'll give you a full foot". :blink:

5-2 in the Nfl, no.  Not with the up and coming te's over the past couple years.  To many passing threats on offenses to even try that now.

587247[/snapback]

I suppose you're right.. I'd be alot more worried about WR screens than I would TE's though.. I'd line-up a DE over the TE and blast him into the backfield every play. Granted.. it would take very athletic DE's.

I would love to see AJ Hawk in a Bills uniform but if we have to give up other picks for it, might not be the best move

587250[/snapback]

I have been thinking about this for a while. I think the Bills have a MAJOR problem outside of offensive line, defensive line, QB, etc. What is it you ask? This team has NO ONE to market around. NO ONE! Let's see - JP....NO....major road bumps (not all his fault) in second year. Takeo....NO....coming back from season ending surgery. Willis....NO....self-proclaimed best running back in the league - NOT! See my point? So, here is what I'm proposing....if AJ Hawk is there at pick #8, you take him! Not only as a stud linebacker, but also as a marketing piece for 2006. The team would now be able to market themselves into central Ohio and appeal to Buckeye fans. The team could then become a much bigger regional team. Granted, you are beginning to infringe on Brown, Steeler, and Bengal territory, but once a Buckeye, always a Buckeye! Coupling this with retaining Nate Clements...and even throwing Tim Anderson into the marketing angle....and you got yourself a solid program. Couple AJ Hawk with the selection of Nick Mangold (offensive lineman from Ohio State) in the 2nd round of the draft and you've got yourself a plan!

I'm just jumping head first into idiotic threads the last few days. What the hell is wrong with me?

Fletcher is SO not the problem with team. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, Fletcher might be the best player on this team.

As for the 5-2...i've been bringing it up in several threads. The difference is, I was kidding...for the most part. i actually think there is a way to design a 5-2 that could be successful, but it would require special players. One of the players who I would need to run a 5-2 is London Fletcher.