Van Pelt- interesting

Jauron and Fairchild should give former Bills quarterback Alex Van Pelt strong consideration for the job of quarterbacks coach. Every quarterback who worked with Van Pelt, from Jim Kelly to Drew Bledsoe, has marveled at his knowledge of the game and his knack for analyzing defenses. Van Pelt knows Fairchild, too.

Isn't he OC or QB coach at Buffalo U?

587148[/snapback]

From the UB Athletics website:

Alex Van Pelt, who comes to UB after a long NFL career with the Buffalo Bills, will coach the Bulls' quarterbacks and serve as passing game coordinator. While it is his first full-time job in college coaching, he served as quarterbacks coach and play caller with the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2005.

From the UB Athletics website:

Alex Van Pelt, who comes to UB after a long NFL career with the Buffalo Bills, will coach the Bulls' quarterbacks and serve as passing game coordinator. While it is his first full-time job in college coaching, he served as quarterbacks coach and play caller with the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe in 2005.

587158[/snapback]

I thought I read that a couple weeks ago- and then this article popped up today:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060...?tbd2029114.asp

He is without a doubt ready and could help with play calling also. I have know doubt about Van Pelts ability to coach QB's. In fact five years from now if he gets a chance he will be an OC for some team and be very good.

And no I am not a related to him. On the Radio his is a step ahead of everybody that was on the Bills coaching the last two years.

How about Frank Reich as QB coach? 

587168[/snapback]

Frank has a much higher calling. :blink:

I'm a big supporter of AVP landing the Bills' QB coaching job. He's smart, a great communicator and I think he would be just as good -- and possibly better -- a mentor to JP than Wyche was. He's younger, he knows what it takes to play here, and he's very good at reading the play, at least from hearing him in his two years in the booth with Murph.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the Bills have Alex in mind, and that's the reason he didn't jump on the opportunity to interview for the Green Bay QB coaching job after their new HC spoke highly of him.

Meanwhile, McCarthy indicated that Alex Van Pelt was under consideration to coach quarterbacks. Van Pelt, 35, played quarterback under McCarthy at the University of Pittsburgh and then had an 11-year NFL career.

Last month, Van Pelt was named quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator at the University of Buffalo. He coached quarterbacks last spring in NFL Europe League.

"We've left messages but I have not spoken to him," McCarthy said. "He is someone I'm very fond of. Alex Van Pelt will be a coach in the NFL some day. Maybe here."

Now that the Pack has hired our good buddy, Tom Clements as QB coach, that door is closed to AVP. I sure hope he lands with the Bills rather than the Bulls.

I just want to know who's going to be Murph's analyst sidekick....

587304[/snapback]

Well, the original plan was to have Jeff Burris slide into that slot, but we still haven't heard much about how his meltdown before the last game went down with the Bills management (who has the final say, I believe, in picking who the color guy will be).

I think AVP would do good in the QB coach role here im not surprised he never called GB i believe some of his reasons for goign to UB may be him wanting to stay in the area till his kids finish school possibly