Question...dial up and getting phone calls

RVJ

My father in law lives way out in the country. He is on the computer 24/7 using

a dial-up modem. The problem is we can never get through on the phone.

And he refuses to get another phone line. Is there any software that I can hook up,

so he could be online and get calls through his computer at the same time.

Thanks for your help...this is pissing us off that we can't get through.

I would assume not. The problem lies w/ the phone line, not w/ anything to do w/ the computer. It's sorta like asking 'his teenage daughter is on the phone all the time. How do I get through?'.

The one thing that he might be able to do (not that he would necessarily want to), is subscribe to 'call waiting'. Depending on how the modem is setup, the incoming click is usually sufficient for the modem to drop the line. If the modem speaker was on (mighty annoying in my book), your father would then be able to tell that the line was dropped due to an incoming call.

The other possibility, although it's unlikely available if he does indeed live in the middle of no where, is have him switch to either a DSL or ISDN line.

My father in law lives way out in the country. He is on the computer 24/7 using

a dial-up modem. The problem is we can never get through on the phone.

And he refuses to get another phone line. Is there any software that I can hook up,

so he could be online and get calls through his computer at the same time.

Thanks for your help...this is pissing us off that we can't get through.

586929[/snapback]

i remember when i was on dialup my phone line provider used to have a sort of webcallwaiting like the one in this thread, it works well.

We used a piece of software called CallWave for quite a while and it worked like a charm and solved the exact problem you're having. It's only about $3/month and is very reliable and easy to use.

Check it out

586969[/snapback]

I can second the nomination for CallWave. I had it when had dialup. Though in order for it to work you need to have Call Forwarding When Busy from your phone company which usually part of the Call Waiting service.

You can both download Skype.... It's both a chat and phone program. I use it from here in Iraq to talk to my brother through the computer. As long as you both have it you can talk through your computer with a mike and speakers. It runs using minimal bandwidth and can be left up all the time. You just simply minimize it into the tray on the bottom of the computer. It's a great program and it's free....