RIP Challenger Crew

Corp000085

20 years ago today, 1/28/1986, the space shuttle Challenger broke apart and exploded about a minute into flight. To that, i'd like to say that we all remember and will never forget. RIP crew.

To that, i'd like to add my personal story: We were in first grade and my teacher actually knew mculloff (sp?) so we personally talked to her on the phone about 2 weeks before the launch. On the day of launch, we watched on a tv in the classroom. Needless to say, it was the most vivid memory of elementary school as well as one of the most horrifying things to take part in.

Again, RIP

10 grade, sitting in study hall, one of the librarians came over and told us it happened. So we all went over to watch the tv. Next period was French class, before class started the teacher went over to see it for herself. One other person in the class thought I was fooling him when I told him about it. I told him to go across the hall to see it for himself.

10 grade, sitting in study hall, one of the librarians came over and told us it happened. So we all went over to watch the tv. Next period was French class, before class started the teacher went over to see it for herself. One other person in the class thought I was fooling him when I told him about it. I told him to go across the hall to see it for himself.

586576[/snapback]

that story sounds errily familiar to my 9/11 "where were you" story... except mine was at RIT.

RIP for them, and also for these souls...

"The Apollo 1 mission was scheduled to have been launched on February 21, 1967, with astronauts Virgil Grissom, Edward White, and Roger Chaffee onboard. This would have been the first manned Apollo mission; one in a series of missions designed to get an American to the moon by the end of the 70's.

However, on January 27, 1967, during a preflight test on the launch pad, tragedy struck. A fire swept through the Command Module (CM) which killed all three astronauts. What follows is an account of the events that occured before, during and after the fire."

http://www.engineering.com/content/Content...tentId=41009003

Some interesting reading.

7 myths about the Challenger Disaster

588482[/snapback]

I would slightly amend Myth #6, that the shuttle was launched due to political pressure.

I would agree with it being a myth for the most part, but would add the comment that the launch was a direct result of pressure to ensure that NASA's budgetary concerns for the coming years would be met by the Feds. Not exactly political pressure, but NASA was definitely under the gun, as thier "wonder craft" was proving by this time to be exponentially more costly (resulting in about 1/4th the amount of yearly flights) than projected.

Remember, the original plans for the shuttle was to have only a craft capable of sending astronauts into orbit and back. The large payload the current flying turkey has is directly related to pressure added by the USAF. Without airforce support, the shuttle would never have been green-lighted by tricky Dick in the first place. It was the result of trying to be all things to all persons that doomed the shuttle from the drawing table.

As an interesting little side-factoid, it is totally true that no member of any organization directly responsible for bullying the engineers into allowing the flight was ever disciplined in any way. In fact, most were promoted to higher positions. This would include the NASA flight directorship, as well as those higher-ups from Morton Thiokol. Go fig....