Coaching overkill?

now with jerry gray...this is ridiculous. i wonder if the NFL is going to have to look at a cap on coaching salaries, so snyder just doesnt throw money at everyone to keep other teams from signing them?

587931[/snapback]

I can't see this happening. For one, if someone offers Gray the right DC or even HC position, he's out of there. Same with any of these guys who have greater ambitions than to just get paid and potentially win a Super Bowl. The 'Skins may be smart to be grabbing for a ton of known coaching prospects who have done something well somewhere. Or, it could backfire, too many cooks in the kitchen as someone earlier remarked.

For what they spend and for how often they shake up their lineup, it would appear they should do better than a single one-and-done playoff appearance in however many years. Then again, this ain't baseball and these aren't the Yanks. Team chemistry buys a lot more than money and Snyder and co. just might be doing everything they can to avoid building it.

Check out this list of coaches and what each one does:

Joe Gibbs-Head Coach/Team President

Al Saunders-Assoc. HC - Offense

Gregg Williams-Asst. HC - Defense

Joe Bugel-Asst. HC - Offense

Don Breaux-Off. Coordinator

Jack Burns-Offensive Assistant

Rennie Simmons-Tight Ends Coach

Earnest Byner-Running Backs Coach

Stan Hixon-Wide Receivers Coach

Bill Lazor-Quarterbacks

Coy Gibbs-Quality Control - Off.

Greg Blache-Def. Coord./Def. Line

Dale Lindsey-Linebackers Coach

DeWayne Walker-Secondary/Cornerbacks

Steve Jackson-Passing Game Coord./Safeties

Danny Smith-Special Teams

Kirk Olivadotti-Quality Control - Def./Spec. Teams Asst.

John Dunn-Head Strength/Conditioning

John Hastings-Strength/Conditioning

Bobby Crumpler-Strength/Conditioning

My god!  This friggin' team has not 1, not 2, but THREE "coordinators" on offense (Saunders, Bugel, and Breaux), 2 coordinators on defense (Williams and Blache), and THREE strength and conditioning coaches!  They also have an assistant for each coordinator position.  You gotta be kidding me!  The NFL should have a maximum roster for coaches.

586389[/snapback]

I heard Jim Mora Sr talking about the size of coaching staffs in the NFL. He said in his first NFL job, with the 1978 Seahawks, they had 6 coaches, including the HC...can you imagine that nowadays?

Related topic, but not, what a huge step backwards this season was for minority hiring in the NFL...9 HC openings, not one went to an African American...one of the token interviewees (Jerry Gray) not only lost the job he had, but had to take a demotion to be employed next season, in Washington. Kind of strange, I think...

Related topic, but not, what a huge step backwards this season was for minority hiring in the NFL...9 HC openings, not one went to an African American...one of the token interviewees (Jerry Gray) not only lost the job he had, but had to take a demotion to be employed next season, in Washington.  Kind of strange, I think...

588082[/snapback]

Shows that quota systems never work.

Shows that quota systems never work.

588084[/snapback]

And may even work against the very goals it is setting out to meet....

If the NFL is really serious about this issue, it would have to set up harder standards than those it has. I don't think the results are necessarily a signal of racism by NFL owners, but I can't help but feel a little sorry for guys like Gray and Cottrell, who are trotted out for interview, year after year, for jobs they likely have no chance of getting...

I am no big fan of Jerry Gray, but I think he may have a legit gripe against the Bills for the circumstance he is in. They were ambivilent about his status. The only official realease I ever saw about the Bills coaching staff was that 9 assisitants (including Gray) were still under contract. The whole time, Jerry Gray was saying he knew he was out, the Bills just wouldn't pull the trigger.

First, they were waiting to see what happened with Mularkey, then to see who the new HC was going to be. It almost seemed like the ghost of TD was still in the Bills front office. If Gray got a HC job, the Bills would have been awarded some compensation, for a guy they didn't want anyways. Brilliant! Yet, while they were dangling Gray out, all of the other DC jobs were being filled up....now the Bills are likely going to have a DC with no experience in the job, while one of the more qualified (experience wise at least) is packing his bags in Buffalo, to take a demotion in Washington...just another very odd episode, in what has been a very odd month in Bills history..

like we all wouldn't trade our staff for theirs........

587392[/snapback]

How many would trade the Redskins situation for the Bills current situation?

I am envious of the Redskins because they will win much more with their coaches than the Bills will win.

Anybody care to bet on it?

If Gray got a HC job, the Bills would have been awarded some compensation, for a guy they didn't want anyways.  Brilliant!

Actually, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you get compensation for a coach getting a promotion...

CW