EVERY VOTE should count! EC=Bad for USA

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

While you guys whack off patting each on the back, don't sprain your hand!

:devil:

43927[/snapback]

You know...there's two kinds of people here. Those that read my post and said "I know exactly who he's talking about!", and those that read it and said "How DARE he say that about me!"

Guess which group my statement applied to... ;)

If you are George Bush and you have to decide between shutting down a base in NY or one in a swing state like Arkansas or Nevada, who do you think is going to keep their base and who is going to lose theirs?

Correct me if im wrong, but Yucca mountain is in nevada is it not? If your argument held any water, Yucca Mountain would be in NY or California.

Republican votes will not count in New York, and Democratic votes will not count in Tennessee. Independent votes carry no weight. Only selected votes count in Florida.

So what you are saying is, that only the votes of 537 people in florida mattered in 2000? How wrong you are. If 100 people vote for something, and 90 vote against it, the outcome of the vote isnt decided by the 10 people who swung the election, but by the 91 people who voted in the affermative giving the plurality of the votes to their cause.

To say republicans in NY have no vote is wrong. 2,403,374 people in NY voted for bush. Every one of those votes counted. 4,107,697 people voted for gore. If you are looking for votes that dont count, its the extra 1.7 million people who voted for Gore that had their votes not count.

Further, it is possible, again depending on the numbers, for a candidate to get pretty well pasted in the popular vote and still win in the EC.

Mathmatically possible, yes. However, Relative to the election being close and the candidates with the most popular votes losing the electoral college, this situation is much less likely.

Oh, and BTW, this reform garbage that states like Colorado is trying to push through (and Maine and one other state I believe) is a joke. They are trying to make their electoral votes selected as a percentage of the popular vote in the state. You get 50% of the pop vote, you get 50% of the electoral votes. Sounds fair right? Wrong. Why would ANY candidate spend time in your state? Talk about your needs? The way our country is devided at MOST he could expect to win one electoral vote. You essentially take your state out of political play. Its a bonehead move to do if you are in a state legislative position.