Is the Sherman fiasco hurting us with Bates?

Not really knowing what exactly happened between the Bills and Mike Sherman, this is all conjecture. But let's assume that the Soprano version did happen: where Sherman overplayed his hand with Levy/Wilson and got booted, I wonder if a bitter Sherman is telling his buddy Bates to f*** the Bills?

Money could be an issue, but if the Bills have such a cheap eputation, and if Bates really wanted the big $$$, then why is he even talking to the Bills??? That's why I think Sherman is playing a role here. He may be telling Bates to take a year off with him, and the two of them can ride into some better situation next year.

PTR

Not really knowing what exactly happened between the Bills and Mike Sherman, this is all conjecture.  But let's assume that the Soprano version did happen:  where Sherman overplayed his hand with Levy/Wilson and got booted, I wonder if a bitter Sherman is telling his buddy Bates to f*** the Bills? 

Money could be an issue, but if the Bills have such a cheap eputation, and if Bates really wanted the big $$$, then why is he even talking to the Bills???  That's why I think Sherman is playing a role here.  He may be telling Bates to take a year off with him, and the two of them can ride into some better situation next year.

PTR

585518[/snapback]

soprano's story was bogus -- if the bills and sherman had a falling out why did they turn around and offer him the OC job?

bates is talking to the bills because it's the only DC job left.......there is no harm in talking, and that is all their is to it.......even if he doesn't really want the job he can throw them a very high number.........if they match it, he wins, if they don't, he doesn't care........simple as that.......

i really think everyone is getting too worked up about the money thing anyway.......bates is thinking it over, the job, the money, everything......he's in no rush, and neither are the bills either.......it will all get resolved in time.......

What fallout....Sherman seemingly wanted more power than the Bills were willing to give him (this is of course if you believe that he was their first choice). His feelings seem to have been, "if I am going to be the head coach I want more say in the entire football operation", so it looks like he is going to take a job with Houston, not as the OC or any position coach, but ass't head coach. Now that my friends is a great job, nice title, no bad press and he'll make at least $3.2 million dollars.

With regards to Bates, I am convinced that coaches, like you and I, when given multiple options, "mull over the offer/s", he'll take the job he feels best about, he isn't looking to screw the Bills, the Texans or Webster Shroeder HS (if the later should call).

Let's assume he wants to be head coach some day (probably a pretty safe assumption). Sitting out is not a good way to remain in the spotlight (He's not the Bill Parcells, Jim Mora, colorful guy whose going to remain in the spotlight as a newscaster.) The money he's getting by sitting is NOWHERE near the very high salaries being given to Asst. Coaches this year. Also I don't think RW hasn't noticed that the price of doing business with Assistant Coaches has skyrocketed. That being the case, and with the paucity of DC positions, we might want to stay with Bates a while, let him think and maybe come up with more money. He'll almost certainly go to ONE of the teams looking for a DC and I suspect we are as good as any of them. Jauron seems a good guy to work for. Clements, Spikes, Schobel, McGee and Vincent are a pretty good base to work with and if he gets some assurances about strengthening the D-Line in free agency or the draft (Ngata?) we should be relatively attractive.

Bates only served under Sherman for one year, and I dont think he ever worked with him prior to that. I think many people are overestimating the Sherman/Bates relationship, I have never seen it reported that they have any kind of a personal relationship.

I wonder if a bitter Sherman is telling his buddy Bates to f*** the Bills? 

585518[/snapback]

Anything's possible, including that.

IF that is the case, and IF Bates listens to him, and IF that's the sole reason he doesn't come to Bflo, then we're better off without him.

Everything is speculation. Bates is a big boy now. He doesn't need Sherman to wipe his nose. Who is to even say he wants another gig with Sherman. Buffalo is not the only option for him. I doubt that $$$$ is the only thing he is considering or "mulling over".

Everything is speculation.  Bates is a big boy now.  He doesn't need Sherman to wipe his nose.  Who is to even say he wants another gig with Sherman.  Buffalo is not the only option for him. I doubt that $$$$ is the only thing he is considering or "mulling over".

585601[/snapback]

Probably considering whether he wants to get involved with Buffalo at all considering some of the bone headed (sub teacher, signs on lawn) stunts and press Buffalo has.

When did that happen?  Is there a link?

PTR

585645[/snapback]

Adam Schefield (sp?) reported that Sherman turned down an interview for the OC post and then the bills hired Fairchild.

I agree, this leads you to the conclusion he was never a choice by the bills as head coach and that there never was a break down in talks.