Polarization in the American Electorate

Chilly

Me and CTM were talking about this the other day in the AQ thread, adn I figured it deserved it's own.

My opinion on this has been largely framed by work from a UT professor, Daron Shaw. He's actually one of the few conservative professors - he worked extensively for President Bush, and one of my projects in one of his classes this semester is presenting a campaign strategy outline to the head of Bush's 2004 reelection campaign, which is kinda cool.

Anyway, the argument going in is that America is actually getting more polarized. And I didn't believe him at all, until he pulled up some data.

Its interesting, while party ID is certainly moving away from each other (due to the polarization of the individual candidates), almost every other major issue actually is converging, not growing further apart.

Here is a presentation he gave in class to us which talks about this issue.

He also appeared on the PBS show Uncommon Knowledge talking about this very issue. If anyone else is interested in the issue of polarization in America, I would suggest checking those things out.

CTM: Since we were talking about this issue, I would be interested to hear your critique of his thoughts. I personally feel that they are correct, I can't find anything wrong with his logic. It'd be cool to hear another viewpoint on it though.

Ah, I love politics.

Me and CTM were talking about this the other day in the AQ thread, adn I figured it deserved it's own.

My opinion on this has been largely framed by work from a UT professor, Daron Shaw.  He's actually one of the few conservative professors - he worked extensively for President Bush, and one of my projects in one of his classes this semester is presenting a campaign strategy outline to the head of Bush's 2004 reelection campaign, which is kinda cool.

Anyway, the argument going in is that America is actually getting more polarized.  And I didn't believe him at all, until he pulled up some data.

Its interesting, while party ID is certainly moving away from each other (due to the polarization of the individual candidates), almost every other major issue actually is converging, not growing further apart.

Here is a presentation he gave in class to us which talks about this issue.

He also appeared on the PBS show Uncommon Knowledge talking about this very issue.  If anyone else is interested in the issue of polarization in America, I would suggest checking those things out.

CTM: Since we were talking about this issue, I would be interested to hear your critique of his thoughts.  I personally feel that they are correct, I can't find anything wrong with his logic.  It'd be cool to hear another viewpoint on it though.

Ah, I love politics.

585263[/snapback]

Thanks for the links.

Interesting reads.

There has been partisan sorting over the past few years. Fewer liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats.

I'm noting an increase in the number of people who ID as conservative Democrats, as Republicans more and more push the social side of their agenda and ignore the fiscal responsibility stance that got them so many votes over the years.

As for the PBS link, does Shaw intersperse "you know" in his sentences all the time? Just like people who say, "Look, blah blah blah" that really puts me off.