Postional Needs-What will Marv & Dick do

Poeticlaw

Without claiming to know too much about Jauron, because well i only know his record in Chicago and rember telling my buddy when its was philly vs Chicago that i didnt think chicago beat anyone that year and was lucky and Philly was going to beat them and they did, i know nothing else.

However, I have listened to Marv speak many of times about what the Bills need over the last 2 years. First is Veterans and with that being said. Is a rookie going to start at center this upcoming year?? I also remeber a quote i wil paraphrase. Thurman was going to break a single game rushing record and was benched because a rookie was going to break the record.

Leads me to the assumtion-i know pretty dangerous word.

QB-Jp will not be starting this year he will be carrying a clip board. Another Veterean will be brought in to challenge Holcomb for the starting Job -both might be kept and one might be released. Dont know whos available for the new system

RB- We need a viable backup running back that wont miss abeat when mcgahee isnt in their and take some pressure of the passing game.

LT-we all know this is a huge area of need and hopefully will be resolved with a proven veteran

C-will marv go with the rookie or resign teaugue or go after another proven Veteran.

2-DT's- if Sam Adams is bye-bye Hopefully Ngata fills one role and Maybee Grady jackson will fill the other role in the same capicity of Sam Adams

1- DE- Kelsay is taking way too long to mould into a pass rusher we need someone here.

WR-Ok Moulds lovers i apologize ahead of time-but hes not worth more than 3 mill a year and will be cut to free money for other areas of need- He is the Bills BEST WR but I dont think that will be the case on other teams-We need a good 6-2 to 6'4 reciever who will go after the ball.

SS-need a back up starter to Milloy who wil eventually be Milloys successor.

FS- same as SS

CB-I know nate is overrated but unless we can get charles woodson i would resign him

ML-need to mold a successor for Fletcher who I believe will be a free agent at the end of the next season

2-Olb I think we need two here one to replace Posey incase SPikes doesnt come back and another for depth incase again something hapens to Spikes.

K- Ryan Longwell is a free agent I think this is a must sign-need a reliable kicker who is used to Buffalo like weather and he certainly fits the BILLS

Just throwing out what i think would like to see suggestions or areas i might have overlooked.

Without claiming to know too much about Jauron, because well i only know his record in Chicago and rember telling my buddy when its was philly vs Chicago that i didnt think chicago beat anyone that year and was lucky and Philly was going to beat them and they did, i know nothing else.

Remember kids, punctuation is our friend! :)

If you are right it is pretty close to a whole new team. I suspect we need an offensive left tackle, to resign Adams and get a good defensive tackle. I think Losman and McGahee might be able to do the job if there is a good line in front of them. Two positions and a re-signing and I think we contend for a wildcard playoff berth.

To win the divisional championship we need great improvement from Losman and McGahee as we are NOT going to get a quarterback from available veterans or the draft who will do it this year and I don't think we are going to use our first draft choice to get a running back when we need the DT and OT as badly as we do. We have to re-sign everyone...Moulds, Clements, and Adams. A quality tight end would be important, and I would cross my fingers with the linebacking and the aging safety situation. Good coaching is essential

JP is no longer a rookie.

Year 1, (he was injured) he carried the clipboard. Year 2, he took his lumps and learned through playing and carrying the clipboard. He's experienced a lot of failure, and a small taste of success. He's been pulled and he was demoted and reinstated. He is NOT a freakin rookie anymore.

Year 3...unless he sucks up a storm, or the Bills luck into a bonafide high-level starting NFL QB...he's the man. Year 3...time to start and produce.

JP is no longer a rookie. 

Year 1,  (he was injured) he carried the clipboard.  Year 2, he took his lumps and learned through playing and carrying the clipboard.  He's experienced a lot of failure, and a small taste of success.  He's been pulled and he was demoted and reinstated.  He is NOT a freakin rookie anymore.

Year 3...unless he sucks up a storm, or the Bills luck into a bonafide high-level starting NFL QB...he's the man.  Year 3...time to start and produce.

584618[/snapback]

Wholly Agree....Put a line in front of him, Coaches should practice what they preach....namely, run the damn ball....and the Defense should play what it

preaches....play solid defense.....Then the QB isssue is a non-factor....

He's been pulled and he was demoted and reinstated. 

584618[/snapback]

I agree with the overall point of your post, but allow me to pick nits.

I read how JP was "benched" quite often. Either my memory has slipped, or everyone else's has. Wasn't JP hurt, which led to KH getting the nod?

I agree with the overall point of your post, but allow me to pick nits. 

I read how JP was "benched" quite often.  Either my memory has slipped, or everyone else's has.  Wasn't JP hurt, which led to KH getting the nod?

584890[/snapback]

Not the first time he was sat down, IIRC. The second time (toward the end of the year) "injury" was the reason given for the benching.

LT-we all know this is a huge area of need and hopefully will be resolved with a proven veteran

584575[/snapback]

Exactly how easy do you think it is for a football team to bring in a "proven veteran" LT? Can you remember the last time there was a trade which involved one? Or a top flight LT who was not designated a Franchise Player?

The best LTs in the NFL were drafted by their respected teams. Nobody in the NFL will give up an upper echelon LT.

QB-Jp will not be starting this year he will be carrying a clip board. Another Veterean will be brought in to challenge Holcomb for the starting Job -both might be kept and one might be released. Dont know whos available for the new system

584575[/snapback]

Trash JP all you want but you must have missed the final game of the season where Kelly Holcomb threw 4 interceptions against the 4-12 Jets. I love how the JP haters still are hanging their hats on Holcomb being our starter next year, it's too funny to me. You're so wrong here, Jaroun said ALL positions will be open for competition and he won't be going back on his word. With another offseason of coaching Losman will no doubt beat out Holcomb, unless they bring in Kerry Collins expect #7 to be starting at QB.

Exactly how easy do you think it is for a football team to bring in a "proven veteran" LT? Can you remember the last time there was a trade which involved one? Or a top flight LT who was not designated a Franchise Player?

The best LTs in the NFL were drafted by their respected teams. Nobody in the NFL will give up an upper echelon LT.

584903[/snapback]

Willie Roaf says hello :)

Willie Roaf says hello :)

584917[/snapback]

Yeah, and there was said to be a problem involving his wife and a fellow team member, no? Please, continue to make your case.

Leon Gray WAS involved in the Dickerson trade so ya got me there too! 0:)

C'mon, add to the list and tell us how easy it is to bring in a top quality LT via trade or free agency.

Talk to ya later. 0:)

Leads me to the assumtion-i know pretty dangerous word.

RB- We need a viable backup running back that wont miss abeat when mcgahee isnt in their and take some pressure of the passing game.

C-will marv go with the rookie or resign teaugue or go after another proven Veteran.

2-DT's- if Sam Adams is bye-bye Hopefully Ngata fills one role and Maybee Grady jackson will fill the other role in the same capicity of Sam Adams

1- DE- Kelsay is taking way too long to mould into a pass rusher we need someone here.

WR-Ok Moulds lovers i apologize ahead of time-but hes not worth more than 3 mill a year and will be cut to free money for other areas of need- He is the Bills BEST WR but I dont think that will be the case on other teams-We need a good 6-2 to 6'4 reciever who will go after the ball.

SS-need a back up starter to Milloy who wil eventually be Milloys successor.

FS- same as SS

CB-I know nate is overrated but unless we can get charles woodson i would resign him

ML-need to mold a successor for Fletcher who I believe will be a free agent at the end of the next season

2-Olb I think we need two here one to replace Posey incase SPikes doesnt come back and another for depth incase again something hapens to Spikes.

K- Ryan Longwell is a free agent I think this is a must sign-need a reliable kicker who is used to Buffalo like weather and he certainly fits the BILLS

Just throwing out what i think would like to see suggestions or areas i might have overlooked.

584575[/snapback]

QB - I think JP can earn the starting spot here. You could already see that the game slowed down some for JP when he came back from his benching when Holcomb got hurt against KC. I think the game will slow down even more as he gets time under center. Notice I said I "think", not I "know".

RB - This was one of the biggest beefs I had with last year, we saw nothing of Gates. I don't think he was even active for most of the games. He looked good in what little I saw of him in camp and pre season. He seems like a viable alternative to McGahee in size, strength and style. I like Williams but not for a replacement to McGahee, but as a compliment. I would hate to see QWilliams take over for an injured McGahee and carry the load for 16+ games.

LT - While Gandy is not a future hall of famer here, he did play adequately. The real problem with our OL was our interior. A new LG in FA is a must. Either a FA center or if he proves ready, Preston in C. Villiarial is a good RG when not playing hurt, but he was hurt all of last year and he's getting older. Either Preston here or another draft pick to back up.

C - see above

2 DTs - Adams may or may not be here next year. It depends on who our DC is. If they like a DT who loves to shoot the gap they have someone who is the best in the league to do it in Adams. Either way we need a big DT in round 1 like Ngata and a FA vet pick up here. So I'm saying 2 new guys and keep Sam(if he fits a DCs scheme).

1 DE - I was a little disappointed in Kelsays performance last year. It seemed as though he took a step back from 04. I'm not sure if it was him or the way they used him last year. I wouldn't mind seeing a high motor type guy being brought in here for a change. :) Too bad we can't get Mario and Ngata in the draft.

SS/FS - At the end of the 04 season I thought we'd be set at these positions for at least 2-4 years. Well i think I was a little overly optimistic. We need to start grooming some young guys or get a FA.

MLB/OLB - These would be a low priority for me. Crowell is a natural MLB and we just extended him. OLB can be had cheap in FA. We also still have Haggen and Stamer, and we really don't know what they're capable of.

K - Unless Lindel is a FA this year I wouldn't even consider a move there. I'm not sure if it was because we got the new long snapper or if he made a deal with devil , but Lindel had a really good year last year. I'd be content to sit pat.

In conclusion I think we do need a lot of help, particularly on both sides of the line. I just don't think that we are as far away as you seem to think.

Everyone has their own thought so thought share mine, I'm not going in order of importance just by position.

QB- I would draft a QB on Day 2 of the draft just incase JP falters. As a Day 2 pick wouldn't pose an immediate threat to JP and also be cap friendly.

RB- I agree a vet behind McGahee is needed, I'd prefer one that can catch the ball as well to serve as a 3rd down back. There are several UFAs that could serve this role including Kenny Watson, Tony Fisher and Sammy Morris to name a few.

LT-We all know this is a huge area of need and hopefully will be resolved with a 1st Round pick. As quality starting LTs arrive in free agency are almost never found. Though would look for a veteran back up as need depth on the o-line.

WR-Moulds is still our most complete WR and may stick around now that the coaching staff has changed but it might just be better to part ways now and find his replacement now. Guys I like are David Givens and Antonio Bryant in free agency, I wouldn't draft a WR until Day 2 of the draft.

TE-I could see bringing in a cheap veteran to put into the mix and possibly unseat Campbell but is not a definate need this year though there could be one in a year or two.

OG- If we take a LT early then we should be able shift Gandy to LG as a short term solution. I'd also consider using one of our 3rds or a 4th on a guy who can serve for depth and maybe suceed Chris V or Gandy long term.

C-I'd let Teague walk (not because I don't like him but cap concerns) yet I would also sign a veteran that could start incase Duke Preston faulters.

DT-I think we keep Adams around since is under contract and not a big time salary. I think we should take an honest effort to sign a younger guy to play next to him and can be a long term answer. My favorite is Ryan Pickett. At the same time I can see using a day 1 pick on someone to replace Justin Bannan next year and Adams in 2007.

DE- I think Denney is an important rotation guy and should be retained. I'd also look at Day 2 of the draft to get someone to develop behind Schobel be used on 3rd downs.

MLB- Fletcher should remain the starter here and the idea of drafting his successor is smart just don't think we have enough draft picks to go around. Though would draft a back up MLB before an OLB.

OLB- Spikes might shift to SLB if loses a step to injury and Crowell showed enough to be a starter at WLB. I'm not disappointed in Posey as much as otheres here are but think he's gone. As a result I'd look for a vet backup type or maybe draft someone on day 2 to serve as back up and eventual successor to Takeo.

SS-As stated, need a back up starter to Milloy who wil eventually be Milloys successor.

FS- same as SS however think if we go SS this year then go FS next year or vice versa.

CB-I know Nate isn't a TSW favorite, I think he should be retained if not then we need to draft someone on Day 1 of the draft to replace him.

K- Rian Lindell was arguably our most improved player in 2005, no need to go after anyone.

P-Mooreman made the Pro Bowl, 'nough said.

LS-I think the addition of Schneck helped Lindell and Mooreman this year and definately make him a prioity to re-sign.