LOST 2.12 Discussion Thread

UConn James

When Charlie's vividly surreal dreams lead him to believe Claire's baby, Aaron, is in danger, Locke suspects Charlie may be using again. Meanwhile, Sawyer encourages Hurley to act on his attraction to Libby.

Everybody dust off your Bibles. The previews have a lot of early Moses imagery. Given that the baby's name is Aaron and Eko noted that name's relevance in the Moses story, it's not an accident. Come to think, a lot of the backgrounds have biblical-parable-like properties. The Prodigal Father, the Gifted Child, the rich man with a curse, the Man who must serve his father-in-law to earn his wife's hand (I forget who that was... Joshua?). The handicapped man who was healed. ....

Can't wait to hear Sawyer's nickname for Libby.

I'm going to be breaking out the pineapple for the LOST party, which hasn't happened for the past few episodes. Guava and flukefish are special buys, reserved for the season finale. And leave the inflatable Jack, Kate and Hurley dolls in your passenger seats so y'all can take the high-occupancy lanes on the thru-ways tomorrow.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two weeks ago I said the show was going down hill quickly. (The episode cetering around Echo). I have not seen last weeks yet (it's TiVo at the Parents house, so I'll catch it eventually), but I must say that this was one of the best episodes since early on in the series. Excellent again.

That was easily the worst episode of Lost I've ever seen.

The story on the island went nowhere (aside from showing Charlie act completely irrational and having Libby flirt with Hurley for no apparent reason) and the flashbacks managed to show us that Charlie's life has always sucked.

The story on the island went nowhere (aside from showing Charlie act completely irrational and having Libby flirt with Hurley for no apparent reason) and the flashbacks managed to show us that Charlie's life has always sucked.

584061[/snapback]

no doubt... I don't mind the story standing still as long as it is entertaining, but this was just bad.

584061[/snapback]

Weird how we have such different opinions on these most recent episodes. I really enjoy when they stick to the original cast from the early episodes. I guess I felt when they brought Echo and the others on (and especially when they had a whole episode on Echo's back story) I felt the show might have been getting thin and the writers were trying to drag it out. I really enjoyed this episode. Yet, I agree that the island story has stalled completely. I remember when we couldn't wait until the next wednesday to find out another secret of the island. I guess once the hatch opened, it was a mini jumping of the shark.... I guess we'll have to wait and see, since it seems it will be several weeks until the next new one.

Oh well, I still have HOUSE.

I guess once the hatch opened, it was a mini jumping of the shark....

584086[/snapback]

Man am I sick of that phrase.

I wasn't blown away by this week's episode, but there were some cool parts to it. Charlie is now completely isolated from the rest of the "tribe." Next week's episode looks great, but I really hate that Sun is getting taken because she's one of my favorites.

Man am I sick of that phrase. 

I wasn't blown away by this week's episode, but there were some cool parts to it.  Charlie is now completely isolated from the rest of the "tribe."  Next week's episode looks great, but I really hate that Sun is getting taken because she's one of my favorites.

584091[/snapback]

they stopped short of making this a great episode. They could have easily of had Charlie steal the baby and at least disapper until the next episode. Instead, we get two non-events. He took the babay once and didn't harm him, why bother doing it again and resolving it the same way?

i agree. this was a baaaad episode. it was the kind of episode where you wonder, 'was there a guest writer for this one?' I wouldn't be surprised. I like LOST, despite some things that really annoy me, but it needs to get back on point. It needs to develop the EXISTING mysteries - particularly of the film/computer/bunker and the others; who they are and what motivates them.

AND THEY HAD BETTER come up with a damn good explanation for the polar bear, black horse, and last but not least, the intelligent plume of black smoke.

they stopped short of making this a great episode.  They could have easily of had Charlie steal the baby and at least disapper until the next episode.  Instead, we get two non-events.  He took the babay once and didn't harm him, why bother doing it again and resolving it the same way?

584092[/snapback]

Yeah I like that suggestion, but I suppose after they got the baby back the complaint would be "Well I knew they'd get him back in the end so why drag it out so long?" I suppose the whole point of the episode was to get Aaron baptised, so whatever signifigance that will have down the road I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

AND THEY HAD BETTER come up with a damn good explanation for the polar bear, black horse, and last but not least, the intelligent plume of black smoke.

584093[/snapback]

As far as the animals go I think there's a pretty good explanation already. One of the disciplines that that Dharma Initiative was looking into was zoology. Not hard to imagine that they'd have some test subjects to play around with. As far as the black smoke goes I am 100% sure that there will be an explanation for it. The "monster" on the island has been too important of a part of the series for them not to have a good story behind it.

Not the best, not the worst, as has been the case in the past few episodes.

I think it was an episode where Charlie's flashbacks reveal to his contemporary self that he needs to save himself. But it's weird, how Liam was able to get clean was to screw over Charlie by selling his piano (which = his livelihood (and btw that was a really good song he had going)) and starting a new life in Sydney. It's a complex story going on w/ Charlie and Liam, contrasted with Eko and Aaron last week. So, Liam got clean by needing to save his wife, daughter, marriage. Maybe Charlie figures he needs Claire and Aaron so he can do it by the same method. Pepper in among that, the flashback of his mum saying he needs to "save the family" by playing the piano, and the delusions on the beach (Hurley in the robe was fuggin' hilarious). Problem is, he's on the outs with her. He's tried it before with the British chick and the copier salesman job... which didn't work out either.

We've had how many kidnappings of children that coincided with fire/burning? Rousseau set the fire to take Aaron to trade with the Others. Walt was taken and the raft was torched. Charlie starts the fire tonight to baptize Aaron. I want to say that there was another one, but I can't remember who it was.

Why did Locke keep the statues in the arsenal? Set them very carefully on the shelf, like he was thinking about something. Blackmail? Some serious red flags are going up.

And then, Charlie put his hood up in the last scene; a sign that he's going evil? (I'm referencing the first ep when they met the pilot and he was getting his drugs and he used the hood a lot back when he was using, and tonight right before he set the fire). His eyes had a pretty nasty stare there. And he's probably thinking about getting back at Locke.

Line of the night: "You hittin' that?" -- Ana Lucia B-)

I thought it was funnier when Sawyer called Hurley "Jabba"

584124[/snapback]

I think the whole quote was "You got a love connection going, Jabba???" in reference with Hurley's obvious attraction to Libby. Hilarious....

I think Hurley's comment to Libby "don't I know you from somewhere?" is a setup for a future episode.

If Libby is a clinical psychologist, why isn't Charlie her client now? While I liked the background about Charlie, I think it was a writer's oversight not to include Libby more in this episode (unless she's not really a psychologist, but another patient from Hurley's hospital).....Stranded away from civilization, you think that the tribe would use one of the clan's strengths to provide insight into Charlie's odd behavior...Speaking of odd, does anyone think it was strange that Locke went Rocky on Charlie after Charlie stole Aaron again?