Our offseason strategy should not be a...

SDS

and that plan should be to acquire players to beat the New England Patriots. Until that team shows signs of disintegration - the AFC east title goes through them. The Bills only have 3 out of 6 chances to make the playoffs. Two of those don't include a home field playoff game. The AFC east title is really the only playoff spot we should desire (Pitts current year aside).

Winning this division MUST be the single focus of this team in the months/years to come. That means scouting our division and "game planning" these guys like we were playing them next week.

I have no idea what this entails as I type this, but certainly we need to address Tom Brady and we need to address guys like Seymore and McGinnest.

and that plan should be to acquire players to beat the New England Patriots.  Until that team shows signs of disintegration - the AFC east title goes through them.  The Bills only have 3 out of 6 chances to make the playoffs.  Two of those don't include a home field playoff game.  The AFC east title is really the only playoff spot we should desire (Pitts current year aside).

Winning this division MUST be the single focus of this team in the months/years to come.  That means scouting our division and "game planning" these guys like we were playing them next week.

I have no idea what this entails as I type this, but certainly we need to address Tom Brady and we need to address guys like Seymore and McGinnest.

583526[/snapback]

not just the pats -- the phins are going to be very good, and they have the makings of a powerhouse running offense. their line played pretty well near the end of the season, and the running backs are really good.

i'm in agreement though - there has to be a plan. i'd expand it to 2 teams though and include the phins. basically, i think it comes down to offensive line, defensive line, and qb. the qb solution may already be on the team, but if so, we'll need to see some signs of it.

That is how the 1990 Bills were built as well.

Unfortunately, the team dominated teh AFC but didn't match up quite as well against the elite NFC teams of that era.

583542[/snapback]

Ummm, yeah they did, except when it counted. :doh: We killed the NFC teams in the regular season...2 regular-season losses to the NFC over the 4 Super Bowl years (including the NFC East, which of course produced all of our Super Bowl opponents, twice), and I know one was because we were resting our starters, and suspect the 2nd, but my memory's too bad.

Ummm, yeah they did, except when it counted.  :doh:  We killed the NFC teams in the regular season...2 regular-season losses to the NFC over the 4 Super Bowl years (including the NFC East, which of course produced all of our Super Bowl opponents, twice), and I know one was because we were resting our starters, and suspect the 2nd, but my memory's too bad.

583548[/snapback]

like I said the "elite" teams of the NFC.

There weren't many really elite teams in the other than the Cowboys, Redskins, 49ers

like I said the "elite" teams of the NFC.

There weren't many really elite teams in the other than the Cowboys, Redskins, 49ers

583564[/snapback]

Yeah, and like I said during that time we played the NFC East twice. 1-0 against the Cowboys, 1-0 against the 49er's, 1-1 against the Redskins (loss was a meaningless last game of season loss), 2-0 against the Giants. It was just when it counted that we lost...

and that plan should be to acquire players to beat the New England Patriots.  Until that team shows signs of disintegration - the AFC east title goes through them.  The Bills only have 3 out of 6 chances to make the playoffs.  Two of those don't include a home field playoff game.  The AFC east title is really the only playoff spot we should desire (Pitts current year aside).

Winning this division MUST be the single focus of this team in the months/years to come.  That means scouting our division and "game planning" these guys like we were playing them next week.

583526[/snapback]

As I've said before, this is one of the things I noticed about Lovie Smith when he took over the Bears, and I wish we would get a coach who would say the same thing. One of Lovie's first comments when taking over the Bears was that the team's first and most important goal at that time was to beat Green Bay, whatever it took. Green Bay would be their Super Bowl, or something to that effect.

I've been wishing that we would hire a guy who would come in and say "Our first goal in the process of making this team into a champion is to beat New England."

Ummm, yeah they did, except when it counted.  :doh:  We killed the NFC teams in the regular season...2 regular-season losses to the NFC over the 4 Super Bowl years (including the NFC East, which of course produced all of our Super Bowl opponents, twice), and I know one was because we were resting our starters, and suspect the 2nd, but my memory's too bad.

583548[/snapback]

We rested our starters against Detroit and Washington, losing both games...the Detroit losscost Chicago a playoff berth

We rested our starters against Detroit and Washington, losing both games...the Detroit losscost Chicago a playoff berth

583590[/snapback]

That's how I remember the Detroit game, because of all the fuss from Chicago. Of course, if Chicago had managed to beat us themselves it wouldn't have been as big an issue, would it have? Even resting our starters Detroit barely beat us...But we somehow still couldn't compete ever at all with "elite" NFC teams....

I figured we had rested starters against Washington, but didn't specifically remember.

583548[/snapback]

both were because we were resting our starters. subtract those 2 games, and the bills were 14-0 against the nfc. and we beat dallas in dallas and the giant in giant stadium the years we lost to them in the super bowl.