I detect distant rumblings...

Is the Cutler bandwagon here, beginning to creep along, ever so slowly? :)

583332[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but I'd still like to see what sort of a QB the Bills already have on the roster before looking to draft the next prospect.

Once JP earns the starting job and plays a full season, I'll be ready to make an assessment. God knows there are a number of other QBs who have been given much longer ropes than that, and are somehow still standing. JP showed me enough in flashes this season to warrant a more thorough look.

Cutler is a nice mid round first pick for a team that needs a quarterback, but he isn't Joe Namath or Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning. I wouldn't use our first round pick to get him but would see us trading so someone else could. Cutler couldnt do any more than Losman is doing with our present O-Line. Let's take care of that first.

Cutler is a nice mid round first pick for a team that needs a quarterback, but he isn't Joe Namath or Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning.  I wouldn't use our first round pick to get him but would see us trading so someone else could. Cutler couldnt do any more than Losman is doing with our present O-Line.  Let's take care of that first.

583430[/snapback]

My point is, I think the Madden football game effect is starting to take root in our Lollipop Guild members - "If we only get that spiffy skill player, it will all...be...'loverly'". Not that I think the new junta will really do so, but after three straight years of "WTF?" top picks, I discount nothing. :)

Cutler is a nice mid round first pick for a team that needs a quarterback, but he isn't Joe Namath or Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning. 

583430[/snapback]

While I am by no means on this guy Cutler's bandwagon, I question why you say he couldn't be another Jim Kelly. Jimbo was a middle of the 1st rounder (14th out of 28) and was the third QB drafted that year, as Cutler will be this year. I really don't know much at all about this kid, but he and Jimbo seem to be similarly rated coming out of college.

On the other hand, Manning was a #1 overall and Namath was a #2 overall.

It will be interesting to see how Cleveland's 3rd-rounder from last year, Charlie Frye does this season. Perhaps retrospection might show it was better to keep Leadfoot for another season after upping his contract, and not selecting JP in '03 with the loss of picks, and picking up the Akron rookie in '04.

20-20 hindsight?... :)

Cutler is a nice mid round first pick for a team that needs a quarterback, but he isn't Joe Namath or Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning.  I wouldn't use our first round pick to get him but would see us trading so someone else could. Cutler couldnt do any more than Losman is doing with our present O-Line.  Let's take care of that first.

583430[/snapback]

Okay, I can see your take on the guy, but how many other people have actually SEEN this guy play? I know I sure as chit have never seen ONE Vandy game, im pretty sure, in my entire life, let alone last year.Really cant see a lot a lot of Vandy games on outside of SEC territory, and even then it would be like us in Richmond(ACC country) getting a Duke football game, just doesn't happen much.

In terms of Cutler, I have no friggen clue :)

Okay, I can see your take on the guy, but how many other people have actually SEEN this guy play? I know I sure as chit have never seen ONE Vandy game, im pretty sure, in my entire life, let alone last year.Really cant see a lot a lot of Vandy games on outside of SEC territory, and even then it would be like us in Richmond(ACC country) getting a Duke football game, just doesn't happen much.

In terms of Cutler, I have no friggen clue :)

583486[/snapback]

I'm 90 miles from UT. Seen him play eight or nine times as SEC is very big here. A good quarterback from Vanderbilt (of all things!) is going to get noticed.

While I am by no means on this guy Cutler's bandwagon, I question why you say he couldn't be another Jim Kelly.  Jimbo was a middle of the 1st rounder (14th out of 28) and was the third QB drafted that year, as Cutler will be this year.  I really don't know much at all about this kid, but he and Jimbo seem to be similarly rated coming out of college. 

On the other hand, Manning was a #1 overall and Namath was a #2 overall.

583459[/snapback]

I like Cutler..but he's notJimbo. Jim Kelly had a very bad shoulder injury which kept him out for his senior year and he had to have a special tryout before the draft to show he still had it. (Boy he sure did!) Given that and the fact that there were other very hot quarterback prospects (Marino et. al.) in the draft I wouldn't put much stock in the place he was picked. He'll be a good quarterback pick, but we don't have the luxury to make it until we deal with out line problems.

It will be interesting to see how Cleveland's 3rd-rounder from last year, Charlie Frye does this season. Perhaps retrospection might show it was better to keep Leadfoot for another season after upping his contract, and not selecting JP in '03 with the loss of picks, and picking up the Akron rookie in '04.

20-20 hindsight?... :)

583484[/snapback]

Losman would have been acceptable if taken in the normal course of the draft.

However, expectations and the related risks of failure were driven up considerably because Teflon Tom had to use 3 draft picks to obtain him.

The Bills should have spread those 3 picks out over 3 different years and taken 3 QBs to develop.

The chances for hitting on one would be much higher

- Matt Schaub could have been one of the options.