Has anyone brought on an airplane

RVJ

I think I read that they've done away with the shoe thing, havn't they?

CW

583064[/snapback]

No still goes, always take your shoes off. I get pulled for extra screening all the time cause I get a lot of one way tickets, and last minute tickets. Most airports are now really quick at security, the problems lie more in some of the middle tier airports like Richmond. Not many flights during off times, so at peak times(6-8am and 4-6 pm) can really take forever as they just do not have the staff.

TSA is hiring part timers now for some of these mid tier airports, so all should feel safer now :)

No still goes, always take your shoes off. I get pulled for extra screening all the time cause I get a lot of one way tickets, and last minute tickets. Most airports are now really quick at security, the problems lie more in some of the middle tier airports like Richmond. Not many flights during off times, so at peak times(6-8am and 4-6 pm) can really take forever as they just do not have the staff.

TSA is hiring part timers now for some of these mid tier airports, so all should feel safer now  :)

583191[/snapback]

I had to take them off on my recent return flight, but not the flight out. The reasoning they gave was because of the metal pieces holding them together.

shoes are hit and miss. if i am wearing sneakers when i fly, i usually dont have to take them off. but any type of dress shoes almost always have to be run through the x-ray machine.

If anyone has spare time to !@#$ with security, try this:

wear really tight pants.

wrap a cucumber in foil.

place the cucumber in a strategic location inside your pants.

Walk through the metal detector.

let them scan you with the hand wand.

hilarity ensues.

I think I read that they've done away with the shoe thing, havn't they?

CW

583064[/snapback]

Not sure. Here if you're wearing sneakers, they'll let you through. Anything else has to come off. But when I flew out of Buffalo, all footwear had to come off.

I took a Palm. cell phone, GPS receiver, CD Player and all the power bricks for them with rechargable batteries and had no problem. All they asked me was if I had a computer in my carry-on. I've heard of people taking empty ammo cans on  a plane as long as they told the TSA what they were.

582601[/snapback]

Can you use your GPS receiver during the flight? I just got one for Christmas and I would really find that amusing to use while flying. You can't use cell phones, but you can use other electronic devices, so I wonder where they stand on GPS receivers.

Can you use your GPS receiver during the flight?  I just got one for Christmas and I would really find that amusing to use while flying.  You can't use cell phones, but you can use other electronic devices, so I wonder where they stand on GPS receivers.

583212[/snapback]

Ya know, i really do not know bout that. My guess would be no, but really not sure.BTW, the end of civilization will occur when they allow cell phone use on planes. I can be pretty assured my traveling days are over if that happens :)

Ya know, i really do not know bout that. My guess would be no, but really not sure.BTW, the end of civilization will occur when they allow cell phone use on planes. I can be pretty assured my traveling days are over if that happens  :)

583221[/snapback]

Sometimes I wish they would prohibit talking on planes.

Can you use your GPS receiver during the flight?  I just got one for Christmas and I would really find that amusing to use while flying.  You can't use cell phones, but you can use other electronic devices, so I wonder where they stand on GPS receivers.

583212[/snapback]

I know one person that forgot to turn his off, it was in his luggage, and he said it was interesting looking at the data later from the flight.

583212[/snapback]

Ask the flight attendent before takeoff. If they don't know they can check with the captian.

583212[/snapback]

No GPS, it's part of the flight attendant's "schpeal" (sp?) before takeoff.

583212[/snapback]

It depends on the airline. American bans the use of them, but they can be carried in the carry-on bag. It's under the same restrictions as gameboys, CD players, iPods, etc.- only above 10K ft.

They only get a signal if you are in a window seat and put it next to the window. I use one for geocaching.

I read on the TSA web site that to speed up the line at the metal detector, put the contents of your pockets (keys, coins, etc.) in a ziplock while in the line. That can be thrown in the bin and saves time on the other end. you don't have to fish out everything. It's all in one place.

583212[/snapback]

Quick Google search came across this

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

I travel all the time for work. The shoe policy is different at every single airport and is there is no consistency at a single airport. Sometimes seems like they flip a coin in the morning. I try not blame the front line workers as a realize that the management

I've also had the "recommendation" to remove shoes and didn't. However I was pulled aside for additional screening for not following said recommendation, despite not setting off the metal detectors.

The reason TSA is being so friendly is that there has been a deluge of complaints from passangers and crews over abuse of power. However, I have found for the most part that they are nicer, friendlier and more competent (i.e. not sleeping or talking to co-workers) than when security was farmed out to private firms. However is anyone thinks this makes a difference security wise, you're deluding yourself. It's to lull the "mom & pop" travellers who fly once a year into thinking the gov't is on top of things.