Has anyone brought on an airplane

RVJ

A router, 50 ft cat5 cable, camcorder. digital camera, lap top, all the chargers and batteries that go with them. I just don't want to try and board the plane and run into problems....thanks !!!

582467[/snapback]

I've boarded a plane with odder stuff than that. No one is going to give you crap about that stuff. My recommendation is to simply get there earlier than usual in case they do pull you to the side.

I've boarded a plane with odder stuff than that. No one is going to give you crap about that stuff. My recommendation is to simply get there earlier than usual in case they do pull you to the side.

582513[/snapback]

As long as you don't have a corkscrew with a little knife for cutting the foil. I always keep one in my briefcase/bag and had it taken at security a couple weeks ago. No biggie.

On my trip to LA last week I got "pulled aside" both ways. In reality, it made my wait much shorter....even after going through the extensive screening. I'm thinking, the next time it's REALLY packed at security, I'll try to do something just enough to be taken aside. (Oh...wait...they shoot people now for acting strange...never mind.)

Last time I flew, in December, if you had a laptop they wanted it taken out of the bag and xrayed seperatly. Not sure if they'll need everything else out. Just watch the people in front of you and see what they do with their electronics.

I took a Palm. cell phone, GPS receiver, CD Player and all the power bricks for them with rechargable batteries and had no problem. All they asked me was if I had a computer in my carry-on. I've heard of people taking empty ammo cans on a plane as long as they told the TSA what they were.

As long as you don't have a corkscrew with a little knife for cutting the foil.  I always keep one in my briefcase/bag and had it taken at security a couple weeks ago.  No biggie. 

582521[/snapback]

I got pulled aside at DCA last week after they spotted the corporate seal imprinter in my carryon. I narrowly avoided a cavity search... :ph34r:

I got pulled aside at DCA last week after they spotted the corporate seal imprinter in my carryon.  I narrowly avoided a cavity search... :ph34r:

582641[/snapback]

The cavity search is when you know you're gone too far. (Actually, THEY'VE gone too far.)

As long as you don't have a corkscrew with a little knife for cutting the foil.  I always keep one in my briefcase/bag and had it taken at security a couple weeks ago.  No biggie. 

On my trip to LA last week I got "pulled aside" both ways.  In reality, it made my wait much shorter....even after going through the extensive screening.  I'm thinking, the next time it's REALLY packed at security, I'll try to do something just enough to be taken aside.  (Oh...wait...they shoot people now for acting strange...never mind.)

582521[/snapback]

Yeah, mental man in Miami was just acting strange........

You must be a liberal.

You think? Screaming, pounding on the cockpit door, fighting half a dozen guys, biting people, opening the door (!) and jumping out of a moving plane.....I guess that could be called strange.

:ph34r:

You must be a liberal.

582789[/snapback]

I thought Liberals were supposed to be humorless. You knee -jerk conservatives can't seem to find the joke anymore.

A router, 50 ft cat5 cable, camcorder. digital camera, lap top, all the chargers and batteries that go with them. I just don't want to try and board the plane and run into problems....thanks !!!

582467[/snapback]

i brought the laptop, digital cam, camcorder and all the chargers and batteries along on board...didn't trust any baggage handlers to throw that around

no router or 50 feet of cables though

582467[/snapback]

You should be okay. I flew to CA last weekend with a laptop, security cable, 20ft of cross-over, noise canceling headphones, a phone cord, and a digital camera. I was worried the steel security cable would get me in trouble, nothing of the sort happened.

I've also got to add, the security personal were INCREDIBLY nice. I was ready for run-of-the-mill government employees. These TSA folks, in both California and Atlanta, were *very* nice.

Hell, the guy in San Jose even said "Nope, nothing here but a lot of smiles!" and he was *genuine.*

-Jeff

All airports will want the laptop put in a bin by itself for x-ray screening. Most airports will want the same for the camcorder.

TSA may run the explosives check on your stuff if they're not familiar with the devices being screened, but that only takes a few minutes.

As other have said, you'll probably need to put the laptop and camcorder (at the very least) in their own bin. If I were you, I'd probably put the router and cat5 cable in a separate bin as well, just to speed things up. It's a pain in the butt trying to reassemble everything when it goes through the machine, but oh well...

I've noticed that the screeners seem to be friendlier recently. I don't fly much, but a year or so ago I went through the screening area and didn't take my laptop out - didn't know I had to, as there were no signs. They had to take it out, test it for explosives, and told me that in the future I needed to take it out. I appologized, and he said, "Don't worry about it. I'd be here anyway, you're just delaying yourself." Ok, that sounds kinda snotty, but he said it in a good natured way. :doh:

When we flew to Buffalo in August, before walking through the metal detector the screener said, "It's recommended that you take your shoes off." My wife and I looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders, and walked through the metal detector with our shoes on (since it was only "recommended.") The woman was beside herself and mumbled something like, "I guess not..." :) When we got through the metal detector, the guy on the other side seemed amused by what happened and said, "I'm in a good mood, so won't check your shoes. You might have to take them off when you come back though." It was pretty funny. ;)

I think I read that they've done away with the shoe thing, havn't they?

CW

Yup, the laptop goes in a separate bin, the other stuff should be fine, but they may ask you about it. I've taken my PS2 before with cables and all, along with a digicam and about a half dozen chargers for various electronic stuff. All they did was ask me if i had a dvd player when my bag got screened, i told them it was a ps2, and they said fine and let me go.