What if Wyche is the OC?

Thailog80

I'd be more than fine with Sam.

581743[/snapback]

That's my first thought as well. I have some doubts it'd happen based on Jauron's propensity for a conservative offense, but Wyche is still a guy who commands respect, so who knows?

I'd love to see Sam stay here as OC. He'd need to stay in the booth, obviously, which would help with his ability to call the game. He could have an assistant down on the sidelines, and to help with practices.

Sounds like a plan -- if his health (and heart) are up to it.

Do you want Scribo or me to call Jauron and tell him we have it figured out, or do you want to call him yourself and discuss DC candidates? :doh:

581761[/snapback]

:D I'll call, I'll call. While I am at it I will tell him to stop looking like someone with cold hands just just grabbed his Richard.

What may not be a bad idea is hiring some young stud without much experience but a rising star in league circles to be assistant OC. Let him handle most of the job, and all of the yelling and communicating with players, learning under Wyche. Let him and Wyche study film and game plan together, and Wyche call the plays from the booth, at least for the first year. I would be happy with a Lofton or Greg Olson kind of guy under those circumstances.

What may not be a bad idea is hiring some young stud without much experience but a rising star in league circles to be assistant OC. Let him handle most of the job, and all of the yelling and communicating with players, learning under Wyche. Let him and Wyche study film and game plan together, and Wyche call the plays from the booth, at least for the first year. I would be happy with a Lofton or Greg Olson kind of guy under those circumstances.

581774[/snapback]

You're right -- Lofton would be a perfect fit for this. Plus, isn't old #80 an Ivy Leaguer, too?

I'd be more than fine with Sam. Marv has said he's still a fan of the no huddle -- who better to run it than the inventor?

581743[/snapback]

And running the no-huddle was one of the areas where Losman looked best this season.

What about strength and conditioning, then. If we were to be more of a no-huddle outfit, who takes Brad Roll's job? Has the guy even been fired yet? So much limbo to be in, even with a (crappy) head coach.

And running the no-huddle was one of the areas where Losman looked best this season.

What about strength and conditioning, then.  If we were to be more of a no-huddle outfit, who takes Brad Roll's job?  Has the guy even been fired yet?  So much limbo to be in, even with a (crappy) head coach.

581788[/snapback]

True -- if the no-huddle was to return more often, the Bills would need to get their boys in a lot better shape. When the O isn't clicking, the D is on the field an awfully long time.

J.P., IMHO, looked right at home in the no-huddle. It was the only time he could get anything done in the Carolina game. Even more so, the receivers weren't getting open all game, but they were doing really well once the no-huddle started. I think the Bills would have won that game if MM had stuck with the no-huddle that rainy day.

won't happen due to sam's health...he's said all along that this is about all he can do.

581798[/snapback]

I recall Sam saying on NFL Network toward the end of this season that he would like to be a NFL team's head coach again. If he can handle that, then I think he can handle an OC spot for a year. It is likely the best way for him to break back into the HC ranks.

581774[/snapback]

That's basically what I was getting at with my "assistant to be on the sideline and help with practices" comment above. I think it would be a great idea.

True -- if the no-huddle was to return more often, the Bills would need to get their boys in a lot better shape. When the O isn't clicking, the D is on the field an awfully long time.

J.P., IMHO, looked right at home in the no-huddle. It was the only time he could get anything done in the Carolina game. Even more so, the receivers weren't getting open all game, but they were doing really well once the no-huddle started. I think the Bills would have won that game if MM had stuck with the no-huddle that rainy day.

581796[/snapback]

You are dead-on, my friend. I was at that game and they were just firing on all cylinders in the no-huddle. Another notch in Mularkey's HC record of abandoning a successful strategy and putting his players in position to fail. It didn't help that Willis was getting tired. Rusty Jones, where were you?

We saw this postseason that Carolina was a team to be reckoned with. And this team was starting to do some damage on them in that series with JP at the helm. I hope DJ and co. see that for what it is, and 1) get a real conditioning program happening in B-lo, and 2) hire Sam.

That's my first thought as well.  I have some doubts it'd happen based on Jauron's propensity for a conservative offense, but Wyche is still a guy who commands respect, so who knows?

581750[/snapback]

no one is more conservative than Marv and he allowed it

581774[/snapback]

Olson is now the OC of the Rams

http://www.belleville.com