I also was in favor of hiring Sherman,

How come Sherman, a man with a commendable record as a head coach and with front office experience, only received one other interview? The Bills and the Saints were the only two teams to interview this guy. In an offseason where nine teams (not counting the Packers) are hiring or have hired new head coaches, why is this guy not getting a look? Are we missing something here?

I realize a lot of teams went with former coordinators who are becoming first-time head coaches, but why didn't Sherman get more than a sniff? That being said, I realize that Jauron was not exactly the hottest candidate out there either. But in all of our clamoring as fans to hire Sherman, it seems no NFL people were too interested in him, despite his solid record.

How come Sherman, a man with a commendable record as a head coach and with front office experience, only received one other interview? 

Smokin - I think that a lot of GMs are not willing to bring in a guy like Sherman who wants control over personnel decisions. It's kind of like hiring someone who thinks that they can do their job and your job and do it better than you.

Smokin - I think that a lot of GMs are not willing to bring in a guy like Sherman who wants control over personnel decisions. It's kind of like hiring someone who thinks that they can do their job and your job and do it better than you.

581492[/snapback]

I think there is also a generally negative perception of the coach/GM role. I think less and less teams are willing to hire one guy for both...GM'ing takes too much time away from coaching.

581492[/snapback]

I'm sure most teams knew he would demand some serious coin also.

I think there is also a generally negative perception of the coach/GM role.  I think less and less teams are willing to hire one guy for both...GM'ing takes too much time away from coaching.

581495[/snapback]

I agree with both of the above. Remember the people selecting the person to interview are considering how much of THEIR power they are going to give up or share and what authority over the team they are willing to give to someone else. Hiring or even considering someone who will want a good part of their power or who in some cases will not want interference within their own scope of power (hiring and firing asst. coaches for instance) might make interviewing such a person less attractive.

As I've said, I believe SOPRANO'S source when he said that Sherman tried to get more power at the 11th hour, but the Bills called his bluff. I'm sure he told most teams looking for a new HC, who also had an established GM, that he wanted some GM duties, and that's why none of them even bothered to bring him in. But with the Bills he probably figured that he could sucker Levy in relinquishing some power.

W/L record isn't everything folks.

Shanahan was 8-12 with the Raiders

Belichick 29-34 with Cleveland

Levy was 31-42 with the Chiefs

Then you have:

Mariucci, who was 57-39 with the 49ers and 15-28 in Detriot.

Shottenheimer, who has a .500+ record with every team he has been HC but never has been to the SB.

So, bringing in any coach based on record alone is no guarantee of success.

Shottenheimer, who has a .500+ record with every team he has been HC but never has been to the SB.

Never been to the SB? Heck, has he ever made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs? :D

But good point. The only thing that worries me is that, outside of Levy who never won the SB as Bills HC, Shanahan and Belichick won SB's as coordinators. From what I've seen, Jauron has not only NOT won a SB as a coordinator, his defenses outside of 1 year, weren't all that good.

Never been to the SB?  Heck, has he ever made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs? :D

581636[/snapback]

Three times. "The Drive" and "The Fumble" games with Cleveland, and the '93 game Joe Montana didn't finish.

Three times. "The Drive" and "The Fumble" games with Cleveland, and the '93 game Joe Montana didn't finish.

581644[/snapback]

2 years ago, someone asked the Sports Guy if Andy Reid was going to buy Marty Shottenheimer's Honolulu condo.

:D

I think less and less teams are willing to hire one guy for both...

581495[/snapback]

Now that we have a Harvard and a Yale guy at OBD, we fans have to tidy up our grammar! :D:doh:

The "fewer vs. less" issue is one of my English language usage pet peeves...

Quick Lesson: If you can't count it, use "less"; if you can count it, use "fewer". (See example)

When you feel that you know the difference, take this test to see how you did.