Free agent attraction question

Billzfan23

Regarding Villarial's comments:

"There's a lot of players in this league who want to play for Dick Jauron and that's going to help us in free agency. Buffalo fans will see he's a true football coach and a down to earth guy and he's a winner."

Isn't that overrated? Could it make that much of a difference, or overall, does money still talk the loudest?

It would be foolish to think that players don't want to play for teams with "player-friendly" coaches or great playing atmospheres. It's like any job in that respect. When choosing among several employment opportunities money is certainly a factor, but only one of many.

If I were a professional football player, my decision would be based heavily on the coaching staff and how my abilities fit into the overall vision expressed by the organization.

It would be foolish to think that players don't want to play for teams with "player-friendly" coaches or great playing atmospheres.  It's like any job in that respect.  When choosing among several employment opportunities money is certainly a factor, but only one of many.

If I were a professional football player, my decision would be based heavily on the coaching staff and how my abilities fit into the overall vision expressed by the organization.

581571[/snapback]

That reply seems to intelloegent. remember these guys are football players and want to get as much bling as possible.

It would be foolish to think that players don't want to play for teams with "player-friendly" coaches or great playing atmospheres.  It's like any job in that respect.  When choosing among several employment opportunities money is certainly a factor, but only one of many.

581571[/snapback]

Agreed. The best bosses I ever had let me know exactly where I stand at any given point in time. If you have to guess at your boss' perception of you, you need a new boss IMO.

One of the recurring descriptions of Jauron's style is that he's honest and straight forward. I think most people, athletes included, appreciate that.

Buffalo didn't look that great, but we still managed to bring in Takeo

(of course Buffalo was a step up from the Bengals at that time)

581498[/snapback]

Plus at that time, the Bills were posied to make the playoffs after a 8-8 season.