Moves for 2006

maritime

First, change to a 3-4 to fit the personnel and provide more of a rush. Kelsay and Schobel will do fine outside backed up by Denney; and Adams, Edwards et al will be deep at nose. Plus, we wouldn't need to draft a DL high. At LB, Posey might finally rediscover his Houston form in a 3-4 (he couldn't do much worse), we can keep Crowell on the field between Fletcher and Takeo, who can rush if he comes back ok from the Achilles injury. Sign Clements, no question. There goes the free agent bucks, but no one wants to go back to the yawning CB gap of the SB years. Milloy is fine, but it's time to replace Vincent, at least by mid-season, by a first-day draft pick.

On offense, Gandy would make a decent left guard; he can pull and move. Vallarial and Peters are fine on the right, but we need a left tackle and center from among our first three picks of the draft. I'm not sold on Preston, and Teague... enough mediocrity on the OL. Re-sign Moulds for a bit less money; stupid to let him go. Who knows about Everett, but TE might have to wait yet another year. Need a backup RB. A free agent could be affordable. QB? Man, I would make it SO clear that Kelly Holcomb is NOT the starter and never will be, barring injury. He's the ticket to mediocrity. That was ugly this past year.

Losman. That was a mistake. But what can you do? We'll have to endure a painful year--or maybe two--of QB ratings of 55 before they cut him. One last hideous mistake from TD to haunt us. He's jittery on the field and a twerp in the locker room. Whenever you hear someone praise a qb's component skills (arm strength! Release! Feet! Lovely personality!) you know there's a problem. So do we give away the farm for Leinart or Young? No use even speculating; it can't happen, unless we pull a Ditka and mortgage the team.

Special teams look great. But will someone take Coy Wire behind the barn and shoot him?

Bring in Ted Cotrell to install the 3-4. I have no idea about OC.

In the long view, the Levy hire will pay dividends because, like someone here pointed out, he'll draft players with some grit. We need Darryl Talley, not Mike Williams.

First, change to a 3-4 to fit the personnel and provide more of a rush. Kelsay and Schobel will do fine outside backed up by Denney; and Adams, Edwards et al will be deep at nose. Plus, we wouldn't need to draft a DL high. At LB, Posey might finally rediscover his Houston form in a 3-4 (he couldn't do much worse), we can keep Crowell on the field between Fletcher and Takeo, who can rush if he comes back ok from the Achilles injury. Sign Clements, no question. There goes the free agent bucks, but no one wants to go back to the yawning CB gap of the SB years. Milloy is fine, but it's time to replace Vincent, at least by mid-season, by a first-day draft pick.

On offense, Gandy would make a decent left guard; he can pull and move. Vallarial and Peters are fine on the right, but we need a left tackle and center from among our first three picks of the draft. I'm not sold on Preston, and Teague... enough mediocrity on the OL. Re-sign Moulds for a bit less money; stupid to let him go. Who knows about Everett, but TE might have to wait yet another year. Need a backup RB. A free agent could be affordable. QB? Man, I would make it SO clear that Kelly Holcomb is NOT the starter and never will be, barring injury. He's the ticket to mediocrity. That was ugly this past year.

Losman. That was a mistake. But what can you do? We'll have to endure a painful year--or maybe two--of QB ratings of 55 before they cut him. One last hideous mistake from TD to haunt us. He's jittery on the field and a twerp in the locker room. Whenever you hear someone praise a qb's component skills (arm strength! Release! Feet! Lovely personality!) you know there's a problem. So do we give away the farm for Leinart or Young? No use even speculating; it can't happen, unless we pull a Ditka and mortgage the team.

Special teams look great. But will someone take Coy Wire behind the barn and shoot him?

Bring in Ted Cotrell to install the 3-4. I have no idea about OC.

In the long view, the Levy hire will pay dividends because, like someone here pointed out, he'll draft players with some grit. We need Darryl Talley, not Mike Williams.

581463[/snapback]

Welcome to the Wall.

I don't agree with your view of JP. The kid needs some game experience and a OL to work behind. And if the other players don't like him - fine there isn't anyone on that team that can't be replaced!

You said you were not sold on Preston. How can you be. Did he even get to play this season? And then all of the sudden after 8 career starts losman is as big of a bust as Mike Williams?

Why do people think that just because a guy is drafted he is going to immediatly be playing in the pro bowl?

Reserve your judgement until after you get to see atleast a full year out of a player

You said you were not sold on Preston. How can you be. Did he even get to play this season? And then all of the sudden after 8 career starts losman is as big of a bust as Mike Williams?

Why do people think that just because a guy is drafted he is going to immediatly be playing in the pro bowl?

Reserve your judgement until after you get to see atleast a full year out of a player

581481[/snapback]

One could look to Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle to prove your point. He was a miserable failure, and the fans wanted him run out of town after two failed stints at QB. They (coaches) stuck with him, gave him time to mature and learn, and now they've struck gold.

Will the same happen with JP? Who the fock knows? But, it is too early to write him off.

Losman. That was a mistake.

581463[/snapback]

The kid's got only eight starts. Have you ever heard of Farve, Hasselback or Brees? Yeah well they weren't exactly world-beaters early in their careers. Give the "JP sucks" a rest please, it's far too early to tell if he's a bonafide good to great NFL QB. Wanna know what's a big mistake? Our offensive line, now that's a mistake.

Thank you for your welcomes to the board. It's fun, isn't it? Plus, it's easy to get carried away. Yes, it's too early to judge Duke Preston. That's my frustration talking--frustratioin with plugging in mid-level draft picks on the OL and hoping for the best. But you look at Ballard, Davis, Peters, and many more late-round/FA successes. Ok, Duke, hope you're good. But JP? I didn't realize people have been bashing him; could've guessed it. You folks are right: who the hell knows about him? It's self-indulgent to flame him, but, again, it's fun to let it hang out. Who wants to be cautious and "wait and see" all the time? I'll be glad to eat crow if he pans out.

JP is still a question mark...Don't know if you can give up on him that early especially considreing how MM mismanaged him....

Cotrell built pretty average defenses in NY and Minnesota and got fired....Don't

bring him for nostaligia

3-4 defense....I don't know whether we have the personnel....Adams has played

4-3 all his career....don't know if he has the same feel for the 3-4...Also the

NT has to play really disciplined.....but Adams like to Free Lance, because he

wants to cause havoc in the backfield...You need a run stopper like a Ted

Washington at the Nose....And if you do play 3-4, you really need a speedy

dominating DE to take pressure of the NT....I don't think Kelsay or Schoebel

are in the same class as a Bruce Smith or even a Aorran smith of the steelers...

We don't have the dominating LBs to rush the passer in a 3-4 like a Joey Porter.

Welcome to the Wall.

I like the idea of a 3-4, especially watching Pittsburgh these past two weeks, but we don't have the players. These are the sizes of the lines of the two most successful 3-4's in the league now:

Pit (Smith, Oelhoffen, Hampton) - 922 lbs.

NE (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork) - 935 lbs.

And the current Bills

(Schobel, Kelsay, Adams) - 872 lbs.

And Adams is the fattest of the nine players. Also, Pit and NE have a big linebacker to go along with the line. McGinnest is 270 - bigger than Schobel! Posey could fit that role for us potentially.

If you want to go 3-4, we need Mario (290's) in the first, and we probably have to move Denney into the starting lineup (he's 292), but then you put your best lineman (Schobel) on the bench. The team TD designed is for a 4-3.