Problems with Offense

maddog

I think it's too easy to pin the offensive problems on one person or even one unit (Bledsoe, Henry, O-line,etc.) However, I think it is a bit more complex.

If you think about offenses that have been successful, there have been smash mouth types and spread em out, big play types. Neither one better than the other. But the one thing they had in common was that all the pieces fit together and complemented each other.

Indy (spread em out) - strong line play, versatile RB who can catch, QB can't run but that doesn't matter, receivers who can make big plays.

recent Tennessee (smash mouth) - versatile QB who doesn't take negative plays. fairly one dimensional RB, TE who can move the chains

Glory days Buffalo - strong line play, versatile RB who can catch, QB can't run but that doesn't matter, receivers who can make big plays.

Our current Bills offensive players just don't seem to fit properly. We are trying more of a smash mouth, ball control offense but our receivers drop too many balls, don't have a TE that can sit down at the first down marker and move the chains (Wycheck, Coates, Bavaro) and take too many negative plays (penalties & sacks)

We could try going more wide open, down the field but I don't think Henry is versatile enough nor is the line play dependable enough.

I know it is too simple to characterize all offenses as one or the other. Maybe our players could be effective in some type of hybrid offense that has characteristics of both. We can only hope!