Christ almighty, STOP IT!

CentralVaBills

Well we did go from 7-8 in 1987 with nothing at RB to 12-4 and the AFC Title game with Thurman as our RB gaining 800 yards.........

It's not so much about getting 1500 yards as a rookie as it is having a significant impact. All those guys I mentioned did.

1000 yards in a season isn't anything in the NFL these days. Travis gets 1300 a year, even that's not spectacular. Guys like Priest Holmes and LT that gain 1700 on the ground, that is what we need. Travis will NEVER be that guy. Willis on the other hand could.

You are telling me that you don't think Lee Evans could be as useful out there are Reed or Shaw????

The only good play we had besides the fake punt was curtosey of Lee Evans........and it doesn't suprise me.

Did I just read that right? It's not Drew, it's the supporting cast?

Let me just ask you this...

If the NFL announced today that the entire offense for the Buffalo Bills will have their contracts voided and are free agents as of today, who would the other 31 teams go after?

Eric Moulds, Travis Henry, or Drew Bledsoe?

My guess is that Eric and Travis would have contracts in 10 minutes. I also suspect that Lee Evans and Willis McGahee, despite their limited playing time and production, would get calls soon. I bet that Josh Reed, despite his many shortcomings, would get a call by the close of business today. It's also safe to say that Mike Williams and Jonas Jennings would be on a plane by the end of the day, flying to their new homes. Teams looking for an experienced No. 3 or 4 receiver would probably call Bobby Shaw. Some of our other linemen might get calls from teams who have zero depth on their OL, or calls from a team like Miami who have next to zero talent on their OL.

Now, having said all of that, who do you suppose is going to call Drew and ask him to PLAY-- not be some seasoned vet to tutor a young QB, but to ACTUALLY PLAY by season's end? Really, is there a team in the NFL that would want Drew Bledsoe as their starting to quarterback today? Maybe Baltimore, San Francisco, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Chicago? Maybe those teams. But would Drew have more weapons with those teams than he does with Buffalo? Sure, there's Jamal Lewis in Baltimore, a couple of nice receivers in Pittsburgh, but as a whole, the Bills have better skill players than any of those teams.

Well we did go from 7-8 in 1987 with nothing at RB to 12-4 and the AFC Title game with Thurman as our RB gaining 800 yards.........

It's not so much about getting 1500 yards as a rookie as it is having a significant impact.  All those guys I mentioned did.

1000 yards in a season isn't anything in the NFL these days.  Travis gets 1300 a year, even that's not spectacular.  Guys like Priest Holmes and LT that gain 1700 on the ground, that is what we need.  Travis will NEVER be that guy.  Willis on the other hand could.

You are telling me that you don't think Lee Evans could be as useful out there are Reed or Shaw????

The only good play we had besides the fake punt was curtosey of Lee Evans........and it doesn't suprise me.

41787[/snapback]

We also did that with Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, a good Oline, and Bruce Smith.

1,000 yards isn't anything. But on a team void of much offensive talent, we would need a 1,500 yard RB who can dominate on his own. Only a handful of RB's can do that. While WE HOPE Willis can do what Holmes does, or Faulk does, it is about as likely right now as VA having a snowstorm tomorrow. Holmes was a bacjup for years, and Faulk was about to be considered a bust. LT would be a stud, but I hardly think WM resembles him in the slightest.

As far as Evans is concerned. I would tend to think he'd be better than Reed, and that would also push Reed back into the slot more, but do you honestly think this coaching staff would sit Evans if he couldn't do that? I don't. I've never met a coach yet, who doesn't play big time talent. Honestly, from what I read about Evans, I thought he would easily start. But with an offense struggling, and a town who thinks this teams should be better, don't you think he'd be in there if he was better? For now, until this coaching staff blunders down the Gregg Williams path, I think they'd be playing him.

Sorry, but you come out here with your hair on fire calling everyone idiots and whatever, telling us to quit the blame game and your argument is that the Bills "need a superstar?"

That's pretty thin. Especially for all the wrath that you brought with you.

If the NFL announced today that the entire offense for the Buffalo Bills will have their contracts voided and are free agents as of today, who would the other 31 teams go after?

My guess is that Eric and Travis would have contracts in 10 minutes. I also suspect that Lee Evans and Willis McGahee, despite their limited playing time and production, would get calls soon. I bet that Josh Reed, despite his many shortcomings, would get a call by the close of business today. It's also safe to say that Mike Williams and Jonas Jennings would be on a plane by the end of the day, flying to their new homes. Teams looking for an experienced No. 3 or 4 receiver would probably call Bobby Shaw. Some of our other linemen might get calls from teams who have zero depth on their OL, or calls from a team like Miami who have next to zero talent on their OL.

Now, having said all of that, who do you suppose is going to call Drew and ask him to PLAY-- not be some seasoned vet to tutor a young QB, but to ACTUALLY PLAY by season's end? Really, is there a team in the NFL that would want Drew Bledsoe as their starting to quarterback today? Maybe Baltimore, San Francisco, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Chicago? Maybe those teams. But would Drew have more weapons with those teams than he does with Buffalo? Sure, there's Jamal Lewis in Baltimore, a couple of nice receivers in Pittsburgh, but as a whole, the Bills have better skill players than any of those teams.

41803[/snapback]

Ummmmmmm, let me think here. I'll do you one better. I would guess.......just guess, THAT ALL OF STARTING UNIT, including lineman, would get picked up. One exception, maybe our TE's wouldn't.

Who wouldn't want Eric Moulds? Who wouldn't want Travis Henry? Who wouldn't want any of these guys really? ALOT would be backups. DEPENDING on what team they went to, Moulds could easily be another good WR in a potent offense. Similar to Rice and Brown, or McCardell and Smith when they were in Jax. Hell, Henry would be awesome on a team he didn't have to carry. HOWEVER, for our team to be good, they have to be the stars and they aren't. They haven't been, in any part of their careers. Moulds had one very high catch season, when Price blossomed and a ton of other WR's around the league were also catching large numbers of passes.

Hell, Drew Bledsoe would fit nicely in Dallas, or any other team that wanted to bypass playing a rookie now and sacrifice a season.

Our lineman would also fit on almost all other teams. Most as backups, some as starters on bad to mediocre teams, and some would look like studs (Jennings) if he went to a team that already had studs surrounding him.

Of course they'd get picked up, because some are GOOD, not Superstar NFL players. Add one Superstar to our bunch, and I think we'd see a bigger difference!

Sorry, but you come out here with your hair on fire calling everyone idiots and whatever, telling us to quit the blame game and your argument is that the Bills "need a superstar?"

That's pretty thin. Especially for all the wrath that you brought with you.

41825[/snapback]

Yeah, get over it. It's kinda like everyone else in here calling out everyone else and offering about as much insight as John Kerry on how he intends to fix Iraq. Which is none.

For most of the "experts" in here who have said that our offense has sucked through Collins, Flutie, RJ and now Bledsoe, it seems to me the few constants through most of those era's were Moulds, Henry a little bit, no line help, No pass catching TE, and no 2nd WR. And we did have a 2nd WR blossom in Price, our offense seemed a little bit better didn't it?

Ummmmmmm, let me think here.  I'll do you one better.  I would guess.......just guess, THAT ALL OF STARTING UNIT, including lineman, would get picked up.  One exception, maybe our TE's wouldn't.

Who wouldn't want Eric Moulds?  Who wouldn't want Travis Henry?  Who wouldn't want any of these guys really?  ALOT would be backups.  DEPENDING on what team they went to, Moulds could easily be another good WR in a potent offense.  Similar to Rice and Brown, or McCardell and Smith when they were in Jax.  Hell, Henry would be awesome on a team he didn't have to carry.  HOWEVER, for our team to be good, they have to be the stars and they aren't.  They haven't been, in any part of their careers.  Moulds had one very high catch season, when Price blossomed and a ton of other WR's around the league were also catching large numbers of passes.

Hell, Drew Bledsoe would fit nicely in Dallas, or any other team that wanted to bypass playing a rookie now and sacrifice a season. 

Our lineman would also fit on almost all other teams.  Most as backups, some as starters on bad to mediocre teams, and some would look like studs (Jennings) if he went to a team that already had studs surrounding him.

Of course they'd get picked up, because some are GOOD, not Superstar NFL players.  Add one Superstar to our bunch, and I think we'd see a bigger difference!

41841[/snapback]

Fair enough. My point is, we need an upgrade at the quarterback spot more urgently than we need an upgrade at the running back and receiver spots. An upgrade for our OL would help, of course, but replacing one guy is easier than replacing five. And I agree with you, our TEs stink. When you consider that Drew has a history of performing better with good TEs, it baffles me that we haven't addressed this position. I was screaming for us to take Dallas Clark last year.

I like Drew and really want him to do well. I just don't see it happening though. I hope I'm wrong.

Fair enough. My point is, we need an upgrade at the quarterback spot more urgently than we need an upgrade at the running back and receiver spots. An upgrade for our OL would help, of course, but replacing one guy is easier than replacing five. And I agree with you, our TEs stink. When you consider that Drew has a history of performing better with good TEs, it baffles me that we haven't addressed this position. I was screaming for us to take Dallas Clark last year.

I like Drew and really want him to do well. I just don't see it happening though. I hope I'm wrong.

41881[/snapback]

See, I don't agree. We need an upgrade most at TE, and then WR and then QB. We have a 2nd WR that SUCKS. Our TE's suck period. Our QB has limitations. Evans would be awesome as our third guy behind two good WR's in Moulds and another proven vet. Hell, add another vet (and I know we can't do it now), and a competent TE, and I have a feeling we'd be scoring much more than we are now. We need some weapons. A Superstar would be the best bet. If not, than we need 4 or 5 GOOD weapons in multiple postions. I would bet that Brian Billick or Bill Parcells would make Bledsoe useable. Maybe not, but I would bet on it.

See, I don't agree.  We need an upgrade most at TE, and then WR and then QB.  We have a 2nd WR that SUCKS.  Our TE's suck period.  Our QB has limitations.  Evans would be awesome as our third guy behind two good WR's in Moulds and another proven vet.  Hell, add another vet (and I know we can't do it now), and a competent TE, and I have a feeling we'd be scoring much more than we are now.  We need some weapons.  A Superstar would be the best bet.  If not, than we need 4 or 5 GOOD weapons in multiple postions.  I would bet that Brian Billick or Bill Parcells would make Bledsoe useable.  Maybe not, but I would bet on it.

41903[/snapback]

Plus we need to upgrade our horrible punter.

And Mark is saying it's the long snapper, but who the hell knows what that alchohalic means by that.

See, I don't agree.  We need an upgrade most at TE, and then WR and then QB.  We have a 2nd WR that SUCKS.  Our TE's suck period.  Our QB has limitations.  Evans would be awesome as our third guy behind two good WR's in Moulds and another proven vet.  Hell, add another vet (and I know we can't do it now), and a competent TE, and I have a feeling we'd be scoring much more than we are now.  We need some weapons.  A Superstar would be the best bet.  If not, than we need 4 or 5 GOOD weapons in multiple postions.  I would bet that Brian Billick or Bill Parcells would make Bledsoe useable.  Maybe not, but I would bet on it.

41903[/snapback]

You want to make Evans our #3 receiver and improve at the #2 spot?

Fine, trade Josh Reed and a #4 pick in the 2005 draft to receiver-starved Tampa Bay in exchange for holdout Keenan McCardell.

41803[/snapback]

Good post Dave!

Yeah, probably. As long as McCardell's contract didn't break the bank. I haven't totally given up on Josh Reed, but McCardell lined up on the other side would make Eric Moulds a better player.

41968[/snapback]

Hell yeah, not only that, but then Evans becomes the 3rd guy.......and if he's that high of a first round pick, he should be 3rd guy material, and Shaw still the fourth guy. I would think McCardell would be a nice stop-gap player that would let Evans develop under. McCardell would even open up more space for Evans when he were to come in the game. As opposed to coming in there with Josh Reed.

Moulds, McCardell, and Evans. Not that is formiddable. THEN, we could blame Drew for not getting anything done. Gimme a TE with that group, and I think we'd be potent. ANY TE.

This is exactly what I've been saying. There are a lot more problems on this offense than Bledsoe. But you gotta blame someone and the QB is the easiest target. I for one would trade our Offensive Line with an OL of nearly any team in the NFL.

How often do Receivers such as Moss, Owens and Harrison drop the ball? Maybe once every few games? Our receivers, including Moulds have dropped at least 1 in each of the first two games. Our TE's are just as good as our Offensive Line, meaning they suck.

Bledsoe is not the answer, but he is also not the only problem. I would rate Bledsoe as probably the 15th to 20th QB in the league. So he's no better than average. But you put an average QB behind this OLine and we get exactly what we are seeing.