WNY and "economic development"

As much as all of us want to see Buffalo and WNY become prosperous...

...after reading stuff like this, though, you just shake your head and realize why so many people (and companies) have left in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060121/1001137.asp

Will they ever get their act together?

576974[/snapback]

My Turn...

1. Jumbo Shrimp

2. Plastic Glasses

3. Peace Force

I've always believed that the biggest mistake made in Buffalo was in the late sixties when they decided to build SUNY Buffalo in Amherst rather than the downtown waterfront. That would have added tens of thousands of students, thousands of employees, and new rebirth to the city.

tenny - never thought about that, and I think you are completely right. 10-15,000 students within a mile or so of downtown, needing apartments, pizza, laundromats etc. The city needs a critical mass of people, and once the "subway" came, not even main st. has a critical mass.....

I've always believed that the biggest mistake made in Buffalo was in the late sixties when they decided to build SUNY Buffalo in Amherst rather than the downtown waterfront.  That would have added tens of thousands of students, thousands of employees, and new rebirth to the city.

577273[/snapback]

Good point.

Just as the Amherst Campus was first designed to trump protesters and the political upheaval of the time... ie: No "Commons", housing separate from the Spine, secret elevators to the presidents office, etc... etc...

Do you think the turbulent political times had a part in the choice to tuck the whole campus away and keep it isolated?

Just like the design of the first roads around Buffalo (notice how they bypass everything, whisking people past the area... ie: the whole Delaware Park nightmare and more)... Not saying that things didn't work out as planned... They did... In matter a fact, THEY WORKED OUT TOO WELL.

Go figure, Buffalo!

:D;)

Maybe they can put together a "cheap power package" for residents?

Who foots the bill when such deals go to the companies... Somebody has got to make up for it?

Anyway, once the corporate welfare runs dry and the power costs rise... The company would have left for greener pastures... Leaving more heartache for the area. But, I guess it is better to have tried and lost, than to never have tried to begin with and most certainly lost.

Not saying you can't coddle business, you can. Why not give the residents a "break?"

Call it "Residents First."

;);)

Good point.

Just as the Amherst Campus was first designed to trump protesters and the political upheaval of the time... ie: No "Commons", housing separate from the Spine, secret elevators to the presidents office, etc... etc...

Do you think the turbulent political times had a part in the choice to tuck the whole campus away and keep it isolated?

Just like the design of the first roads around Buffalo (notice how they bypass everything, whisking people past the area... ie: the whole Delaware Park nightmare and more)... Not saying that things didn't work out as planned... They did... In matter a fact, THEY WORKED OUT TOO WELL.

Go figure, Buffalo!

;)  ;)

580352[/snapback]

Gotta disagree on Delaware Park...Frederick Law Olmsted park and a beauty at that. You get a chance read "City Of Light" a novel about Buffalo at the turn of the century.

I can't imagine the protesters were the concern as much as the Robert Moses thinking that went into the greatest building boom in the history of the world (See Robert Caro's Power Broker.)

Gotta disagree on Delaware Park...Frederick Law Olmsted park and a beauty at that.  You get a chance read "City Of Light" a novel about Buffalo at the turn of the century.

I can't imagine the protesters were the concern as much as the Robert Moses thinking that went into the greatest building boom in the history of the world (See Robert Caro's Power Broker.)

580391[/snapback]

I am not saying the park... The park(s) is (are) great.

I am talking about the abomination you call "The Scajaquada" that intersects the area from the "Harvard on the Scajaquada" (Buff State) through to the Kensington... Most of the area that was home to the Pan American Expo... Now the ABK art gallery, historical museum, etc...

Buffalo was the first city in the nation to have all paved roads... They did it up very well... Blink your eye and you pass right by great landmarks and history!!

Shortly after the SeaWay bypassed Buffalo, the waterfront was declining... I don't see why anyone had the vision... I assume they were clinging to the industrial past?