OT Andrew Whitworth

ans4e64

OT Andrew Whitworth is a player that was not rated very high but is not flying up the charts. He is in the Shrine game now and i was excited to see him because many people thought we could pass on a lineman in the first round and pick up Andrew in the second.

I'd have to say im not impressed with him at all. He looks extremely stiff and doesnt move well. I figured if he didnt have good agility he must be really good in the run game, but thats not the case either, his leverage is very poor. I wouldnt be excited if the bills picked him in the second to be our LT. Just wondering if anyone was watching and had thoughts about him.

OT Andrew Whitworth is a player that was not rated very high but is not flying up the charts. He is in the Shrine game now and i was excited to see him because many people thought we could pass on a lineman in the first round and pick up Andrew in the second.

I'd have to say im not impressed with him at all. He looks extremely stiff and doesnt move well. I figured if he didnt have good agility he must be really good in the run game, but thats not the case either, his leverage is very poor. I wouldnt be excited if the bills picked him in the second to be our LT. Just wondering if anyone was watching and had thoughts about him.

576926[/snapback]

He grows on you and works well with lineman that he knows. He a solid player that will get better and better. He is not a 1 st rounder but is a first day pick. <_<

576926[/snapback]

Oh yea I forgot. At the next level he has to be moved to the right side. He is not a left tackle for the pro's.

576926[/snapback]

I didn't catch the game but Whitworth is a prime example as to why I don't want to take an OT in Round 2 in the draft as he's the type of player we'd find there if delay taking an OT to Round 2 or later.

Granted every year there's a player that falls into Round 2 that has first Round projection (Mike Pearson, Khalif Barnes ironically both taken by Jacksonville) and shows he can be a starting LT in the league. That guy for this year's draft could very well be Jonathan Scott but not something I'd want to risk as I feel a guy like Eric Winston (assuming D'Brick is gone) is worth taking a chance on with our top pick and looking at a DT like Gabe Watson in the 2nd Round. Of course I think it also impairative to sign a veteran UFA DT. My top choice would be Ryan Pickett but also like Damione Lewis, Rocky Bernard, Willie Whitehead and Russell Davis as alternatives.

I didn't catch the game but Whitworth is a prime example as to why I don't want to take an OT in Round 2 in the draft as he's the type of player we'd find there if delay taking an OT to Round 2 or later.

Granted every year there's a player that falls into Round 2 that has first Round projection (Mike Pearson, Khalif Barnes ironically both taken by Jacksonville) and shows he can be a starting LT in the league. That guy for this year's draft could very well be Jonathan Scott but not something I'd want to risk as I feel a guy like Eric Winston (assuming D'Brick is gone) is worth taking a chance on with our top pick and looking at a DT like Gabe Watson in the 2nd Round. Of course I think it also impairative to sign a veteran UFA DT. My top choice would be Ryan Pickett but also like Damione Lewis, Rocky Bernard, Willie Whitehead and Russell Davis as alternatives.

577108[/snapback]

I see that you are a fan of Winston, and I agree with you completely that we need to make O-Line one of our top priorities in this offseason (we've dicked around it for 6 years, hopefully this regime takes it seriously). But going back to Winston, wouldnt you consider him a HUGE risk because of his injuries? From what I saw of him this season (which granted was only two games I watched on television), but he didnt seem at all dominating to me...nowhere near his pre-injury level. To me it just seems that Winston is damaged goods, I'd like to see an instant upgrade with our #8 pick.

Although I STILL think if D'Brickashaw falls out of the top 4, the Bills pull a trade with the Packers to move up to #5 and take him.

I see that you are a fan of Winston, and I agree with you completely that we need to make O-Line one of our top priorities in this offseason (we've dicked around it for 6 years, hopefully this regime takes it seriously).  But going back to Winston, wouldnt you consider him a HUGE risk because of his injuries?  From what I saw of him this season (which granted was only two games I watched on television), but he didnt seem at all dominating to me...nowhere near his pre-injury level.  To me it just seems that Winston is damaged goods, I'd like to see an instant upgrade with our #8 pick.

Although I STILL think if D'Brickashaw falls out of the top 4, the Bills pull a trade with the Packers to move up to #5 and take him.

577120[/snapback]

To me the risk/reward of a choice of Winston is better than taking a guy like Ngata in the 1st and taking a lesser quality OT in Round 2 (or later) like Daryn Colledge. As ultimately I think we upgrade our DT through free agency and a Round 2 draft pick.