Dan Snyder or Ralph Wilson?

Gambler

If the owner of the Redskins was the owner of the Bills; would the Bills be floundering helplessly ?

I don't think so.

Snyder is like George Steinbrenner in some ways. He wants to win now and keep winning.

The NFL salary cap makes the playing field level to an extent, but the coaching gap is growing because an owner like Snyder is not afraid to pay for coaching talent. Wilson seems to be most concerned about getting coaches who will work cheaply. As we have seen, good coaching can make a difference.

Snyder has Williams as DC and Saunders as OC and Gibbs as head coach. All three have had success. I suspect that the Redskins progress toward success will be far greater in the next few years than the Bills.

Sadly, the Bills are wasting time interviewing proven losers like Dom Capers. Ugh!

Truthfully, I wish the Bills owner was a guy like Dan Snyder.

Who agrees with me?

If you hate Snyder why is he so bad?

Simple. The Bills would not be in Buffalo.

575600[/snapback]

That statement holds no water in this discussion. Dan Snyder bought the Redskins because he has been a Washington fan since he was a litltle kid -- not because he necessarily saw it as a great investment.

The Bills CAN make money for their owner when they do well -- and even when they don't. If Snyder had been a Bills fan his whole life, why would he move the team? Even if you were from and living in Los Angeles, but you were a lifetime Bills fan, would you move the team?

Snyder made plenty of bonehead moves before Gibbs' return, but from my view every move was made with the sole intention of making the team more competitive -- not more profitable.

With the Saunders hire and the Williams retention, the Skins are a very early legit Super Bowl XLI contender.

That statement holds no water in this discussion. Dan Snyder bought the Redskins because he has been a Washington fan since he was a litltle kid -- not because he necessarily saw it as a great investment.

The Bills CAN make money for their owner when they do well -- and even when they don't. If Snyder had been a Bills fan his whole life, why would he move the team? Even if you were from and living in Los Angeles, but you were a lifetime Bills fan, would you move the team?

Snyder made plenty of bonehead moves  before Gibbs' return, but from my view  every move was made with the sole intention of making the team more competitive -- not more profitable.

With the Saunders hire and the Williams retention, the Skins are a very early legit Super Bowl XLI contender.

575636[/snapback]

Perhaps. But I don't really fall for it. If you made the stipulation that Snyder was from Buffalo and loved the Bills and had a billion dollars and didn't mind losing 10-20 million a year every year, then I agree with you. But the redskins are the most profitable team in the league, and Snyder can throw all the money around on coaches that he likes because in the end he is still making money on them. That is not necessarily the case in Buffalo, and he would be losing money every year if he did the same things here.

For all that spending, this was the Redskins first winning season since 1999. A win last year against the Steelers could have gotten the Bills to a similar place. They look pretty good for next year IF Brunell stays healthy - they made a big trade for a risky Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey makes JP look good. In recent years, they've gotten starts from Rob Johnson and Tim Hasselbeck. Ugh.

They've done a solid job this year, but they really might have just gotten lucky - I'll wait a little while before heaping too much on Dan Snyder. And this is all beside the point about how damaging he is for football, trying to push out small-market teams.

For all that spending, this was the Redskins first winning season since 1999.  A win last year against the Steelers could have gotten the Bills to a similar place.  They look pretty good for next year IF Brunell stays healthy - they made a big trade for a risky Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey makes JP look good.  In recent years, they've gotten starts from Rob Johnson and Tim Hasselbeck.  Ugh.

They've done a solid job this year, but they really might have just gotten lucky - I'll wait a little while before heaping too much on Dan Snyder.  And this is all beside the point about how damaging he is for football, trying to push out small-market teams.

575659[/snapback]

Not to mention the fact that by the end of next year, the redskins are going to be about 50 million over the cap. snyder's free spending may just bite them in the ass when are about to finally field a good team.

Not to mention the fact that by the end of next year, the redskins are going to be about 50 million over the cap. snyder's free spending may just bite them in the ass when are about to finally field a good team.

575663[/snapback]

Well, I don't mean to be a wise guy, Ramius, but Snyder greatly increased that team's yearly revenue during his ownership. All owners pay lip service to "winning the big prize" so to speak - he or she would have to be an appalling idiot not to.

And the 'Skins games are always sell-outs, and season tix are locked up forever - no concern about gate receipts. That franchise wil always drip with $$$.

I can't see him getting financially bit if they eventually have to empty out the house. The stadium is built and they will always stuff it to the gills, and the tv money stream flows.

I'm starting to think that he wants to win as opposed to just making the register ring. No doubt he is a class A crumb. I can't recall, but if I do he's up there with DAL etc. in disturbing the revenue-sharing golden goose for greedy purpose. I do not like the man.

However, OAK owner Davis gets routinely villanized, but I give Al credit - he jumps through hoops to win. He has failed, he has been successful. I'd personally kick him off my doorstep, but that maniac is a strong part of the popularity of NFL ball. Three years ago, they were a powerhouse.

Well, I don't mean to be a wise guy, Ramius, but Snyder greatly increased that team's yearly revenue during his ownership.  All owners pay lip service to "winning the big prize" so to speak - he or she would have to be an appalling idiot not to.

And the 'Skins games are always sell-outs, and season tix are locked up forever - no concern about gate receipts. That franchise wil always drip with $$$.

I can't see him getting financially bit if they eventually have to empty out the house. The stadium is built and they will always stuff it to the gills, and the tv money stream flows.

I'm starting to think that he wants to win as opposed to just making the register ring. No doubt he is a class A crumb. I can't recall, but if I do he's up there with DAL etc. in disturbing the revenue-sharing golden goose for greedy purpose. I do not like the man.

However, OAK owner Davis gets routinely villanized, but I give Al credit - he jumps through hoops to win. He has failed, he has been successful. I'd personally kick him off my doorstep, but that maniac is a strong part of the popularity of NFL ball. Three years ago, they were a powerhouse.

575711[/snapback]

I think Ramius is referring to the fact that he will need to dump good players in order to get under the cap. The team is finally doing well and they will need to get rid of the people who made the team good. I do not think that Ramius was referring to Snyder losing overall revenue.

I think Ramius is referring to the fact that he will need to dump good players in order to get under the cap. The team is finally doing well and they will need to get rid of the people who made the team good. I do not think that Ramius was referring to Snyder losing overall revenue.

575727[/snapback]

Yup i was. Sure snyder has turned the team into a cash machine. Of that there isnt a doubt. But its his free spending on signing bonuses that are going to catch up with them. Sure he may have a good bottom line, but what doe that matter to the fans and the city when your team of 7 vets and 46 udfa's goes 1-15?

If the owner of the Redskins was the owner of the Bills; would the Bills be floundering helplessly ?

I don't think so.

Snyder is like George Steinbrenner in some ways. He wants to win now and keep winning.

The NFL salary cap makes the playing field level to an extent, but the coaching gap is growing because an owner like Snyder is not afraid to pay for coaching talent. Wilson seems to be most concerned about getting coaches who will work cheaply. As we have seen, good coaching can make a difference.

Snyder has Williams as DC and Saunders as OC and Gibbs as head coach. All three have had success. I suspect that the Redskins progress toward success will be far greater in the next few years than the Bills.

Sadly, the Bills are wasting time interviewing proven losers like Dom Capers. Ugh!

Who agrees with me?

575596[/snapback]

god, i knew this would happen. the twerp finally gets lucky with one stinkin' 10-6 season and all of a sudden he's a great owner and a winner.

I don't think so.

Who agrees with me?

575596[/snapback]

I agree, I wish our owner took that approach or had that desire to win.

god, i knew this would happen. the twerp finally gets lucky with one stinkin' 10-6 season and all of a sudden he's a great owner and a winner.

575857[/snapback]

So what are you saying?

Given the choice you would rather have Ralph Wilson over Dan Snyder?

What did Dan Snyder do that causes you to call him a twerp?

His excellent business successes or his burning desire to win???

Do you think the Bills will outperform the Redskins over the next three years?

I'll bet the Redskins are far more successful than Buffalo. It all starts at the top.

I absolutely would rather Ralph own the Bills rather than $nyder.

$nyder is an owner who brought in over-the-hill players just so he could take pictures with them and take them to parties.

$nyder is the owner who decided to start selling admission to training camp allowing other teams to set up scouts in practices despite his front office warnings.

He brought his favorite college coach in to replace Marty and Marty had just turned around team; the team immediately went into a spiral.

$nyder is CONSTANTLY sticking his nose into front office, with press, etc unlike Ralph.

If $nyder bought the Bills I'd change teams.

Simple. The Bills would not be in Buffalo.

575600[/snapback]

BINGO! I'm debating whether I should read the rest of the thread. I stopped here to reply because it's the first thing I thought, too. No WAY does Snyder keep the team here...not a snowball's chance in DC in July.

575636[/snapback]

Right...he's a SKINS fan...not a Bills fan. (We are talking about Dan Snyder, right? Not Dan's evil twin brother who grew up a Bills fan in Buffalo, has as much $ as Dan, etc....right?)

The question is whether we'd be better off with Dan Snyder, the lifelong Skin's fan, as our owner. You answer seems to assume Dan would put as much energy, passion and $$$ into the Bills as he did with the Skins. Why make THAT assumption?

With that said, what's been said about his free spending is pretty much on the money. It's a LOT easier to do with the Skins than with the Bills and not go under financially.

So what are you saying?

Given the choice you would rather have Ralph Wilson over Dan Snyder?

What did Dan Snyder do that causes you to call him a twerp?

His excellent business successes or his burning desire to win???

Do you think the Bills will outperform the Redskins over the next three years?

I'll bet the Redskins are far more successful than Buffalo. It all starts at the top.

576005[/snapback]

"Twerp" is being nice. Snyder and Wilson both want to win, but Snyder's approach is "All I have to do is throw the money at glitz and it's a done deal." So he buys the team and immediately alienates some of his best players. He goes for Deion and puts his all-pro, future Hall of Famer, Daryl Green, on the bench (when the guy can still play a ton). Deion doesn't have much left in the tank and is constantly injured.

He brings in Jeff George to replace Brad Johnson, who has just made the pro bowl. George has nothing left either (that's assuming he ever had anything) and loses Johnson to free agency (why stick around here?).

He terrorizes his first coach, Norv Turner from day one. I attended the Skins first pre-season scrimmage against the Steelers and as soon as the game ended Snyder comes onto the field (right near me) and starts berating Turner, and drags him into a nearby building and slams the door.

Then there was the Steve Spurrier saga, more glitz, no gain.

He charges fans to attend and park at pre-season workouts, until the fans rebelled and the press continually trashed him.

He attempted this season to force season ticket holders to pay only with a Redskins credit card, which he would collect the interest on. Again, another rebellion.

Etc. Etc.

I'll take Ralph anytime.

Oh and for "safety" reasons no one can walk to the stadium on the taxpayer paid for roads - you either need to pay exorbant amount for parking or pay for a shuttle bus. He even sued a private lot which was dropping off fans from that lot.

Many of the "sold out" seats are from people who have not gone for years or only go for one or two games a year and just use the seats as a item to talk about in business.

No way would I want $nyder or his Buffalo clone owning the team!

Oh and for "safety" reasons no one can walk to the stadium on the taxpayer paid for roads - you either need to pay exorbant amount for parking or pay for a shuttle bus.  He even sued a private lot which was dropping off fans from that lot.

Many of the "sold out" seats are from people who have not gone for years or only go for one or two games a year and just use the seats as a item to talk about in business.

No way would I want $nyder or his Buffalo clone owning the team!

576282[/snapback]

I here you glenn!!!!