sharpening chain saws...

SDS

I used to work for a tree removal comapny back in the early 90's. I used to sharpen chain saws all the time. It used to take me about 20 minutes to adequately sharpen a chain - about 5 minutes to change one. So I guess it's a matter of how much chains cost vs how much a decent file costs.

I get mine professionally sharpened. IIRC, it cost like $5 whereas new ones cost ~$15.

Only problem is that the place that does it locally takes FOREVER to get around to doing it. Consequently, if you find you have a dull chain & actually have a use for your chainsaw now, you end up buying ANOTHER new chain. I now have several.

Yes, I'd say it's worth it, although NBD one way or the other. As someone suggested, it works better if you have 2 (or more) chains that you rotate.

I get mine professionally sharpened.  IIRC, it cost like $5 whereas new ones cost ~$15.

Only problem is that the place that does it locally takes FOREVER to get around to doing it.  Consequently, if you find you have a dull chain & actually have a use for your chainsaw now, you end up buying ANOTHER new chain.  I now have several.

Yes, I'd say it's worth it, although NBD one way or the other.  As someone suggested, it works better if you have 2 (or more) chains that you rotate.

575508[/snapback]

yeah...what you said, that's what I do takes about a week to get it back...remember, it's time to sharpen the chain when the tree starts on fire while you are attempting to cut it down...

I have asmall 14" chain saw and I am wondering if it is worth it to sharpen the chain or should I just buy a new one.  Does anyone have any experience here?

575225[/snapback]

It depends who you are planning to use it on. If it's Johnny, I say leave it dull.