NHL - "Attempt to Deliberate injury"

stevestojan

I know that doesn't sound like proper English, but that was the call against Sheldon Souray for a punch that lit up Darren McCarty during a FIGHT in last nights Candiens/Flames game...

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you square off with a guy, remove your gloves, and start throwing punches, isn't there ALWAYS an attempt to hurt them?

Does it seem fair to call this just because you happen to have landed a SWEET punch which made your opponent bleed like a stuck pig?

I'll try to find the video of the fight (it is on last night/this morning's loop of Sportscenter), but it's not like Sheldon took his helmet off and swung it... he just landed a sweet punch...

thoughts?

I know that doesn't sound like proper English, but that was the call against Sheldon Souray for a punch that lit up Darren McCarty during a FIGHT in last nights Candiens/Flames game...

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you square off with a guy, remove your gloves, and start throwing punches, isn't there ALWAYS an attempt to hurt them?

Does it seem fair to call this just because you happen to have landed a SWEET punch which made your opponent bleed like a stuck pig?

I'll try to find the video of the fight (it is on last night/this morning's loop of Sportscenter), but it's not like Sheldon took his helmet off and swung it... he just landed a sweet punch...

thoughts?

575081[/snapback]

It may be one of those peculiar applications of Canadian law, i.e. Dave Winfield and the seagull and the Marty McSorley clubbing of Donald Brashear.

Speaking of helmet swings... In high school one of my teammates got the worse for wear in a fight. As the referees separated the two, my teammate wound up and smacked this other guy across the face with his helmet and opened up a gusher. Today charges would most likely be filed and lawsuits soon to follow. But back then both players got the mandatory one game suspension. Eventually, my teammate attended the same school that we were playing so the two ended up being on the same team.

Totally agree. As long as the proper "rules of engagement" are followed (dropping gloves, squaring off), then it's totally clean.

I was having an argument with a friend about the Bertuzzi incident and he tried to justify it with Bertuzzi's intent to injure being no different than when two players fight. However I maintain tackling someone from behind and driving their skull into the ice is quite a bit different than following the acknowledged rules of engagement implicit in hockey's code of conduct.

Totally agree.  As long as the proper "rules of engagement" are followed (dropping gloves, squaring off), then it's totally clean.

I was having an argument with a friend about the Bertuzzi incident and he tried to justify it with Bertuzzi's intent to injure being no different than when two players fight.  However I maintain tackling someone from behind and driving their skull into the ice is quite a bit different than following the acknowledged rules of engagement implicit in hockey's code of conduct.

575271[/snapback]

Dude had something on his fist, some kind of rig that cut the other boy up pretty bad. Thats why the penalty was called. On the center ice feed of the Sabres game, they showed during both intermissions.

Dude had something on his fist, some kind of rig that cut the other boy up pretty bad. Thats why the penalty was called. On the center ice feed of the Sabres game, they showed during both intermissions.

575275[/snapback]

Like the Hanson Bros with the tin foil? :(