The Head Coaches Delegate, Manage..

Mark VI

see above. as it so happens, though, i do agree with you that he wasn't the greatest coach ever and had his flaws. i just think he was better than the vast majority of the coaches during that period.

572331[/snapback]

When all the marbles were on the line - even WITH superior talent he lost. And for that - I refuse to scrub his scrotum.... Like I mentioned previously, I see no point in romanticizing an individual's ability to keep a team together in the face of adversity when it is of my opinion that the adversity was created by the same person.

Sure looks like Belichick missed Weiss and Romeo.  :blink:

572297[/snapback]

The Patriots had several issues not going their way this year. The coaching changes were one factor, injuries, defending champions, all the "good loving" from the officials not exactly going their way any more, an anemic running game, ...

Some might even throw in the Bruschi genuflection orgy and curse of the midget as excuses as well. :w00t:

I think you could put in Shanahan, Holmgren, Walsh, perhaps Vermiel (on the offense)...

Maybe you could argue Parcells, but he DOES have mucho input and to me that seems the natural way to go.  If not, why not have Steve Jobs as your HC?  If you have other football men running the show, then what is the need for a top coordinator, etc.. to assume a HC position when in fact you are advocating removing the HC from the essential workflow that needs to take place in order to prepare for your opponent?

572337[/snapback]

put in gibbs too (offense).

I think you could put in Shanahan, Holmgren, Walsh, perhaps Vermiel (on the offense)...

572337[/snapback]

I understand but you're listing the 1% who may be exceptions to the rule. The other 99 % do NOT succeed unless they surround themselves with superior talent in asst. coaches and players.

The pending Bills hire is not Lombardi and to say it's great or horrible, either way, is foolish.

he pending Bills hire is not Lombardi and to say it's great or horrible, either way, is foolish.

572368[/snapback]

I agree with what you are saying, but trying to land a great football mind is just as important in my book as some other attributes.

Sadly, it appears that 1% really soaks up most of the glory as defined by Championships.

scott - do you think don shula was a good coach?

572275[/snapback]

he was smart enough to hire and keep Bill Arnsbarger around as his DC when he was winning championships.

Not so smart with Tom Olivodati, though. He;s still trying to justify covering Andre Reed with the big hitting Louis Oliver.

I understand but you're listing the 1% who may be exceptions to the rule. The other 99 % do NOT succeed unless they surround themselves with superior talent in asst. coaches and players.

The pending Bills hire is not Lombardi and to say it's great or horrible, either way, is foolish.

572368[/snapback]

apropos of nothing, really, the season in which marv had the best assistant talent -- dan henning on offense and wade phillips on defense -- was the year the team was most inept. the talent was the problem, obviously.