Did the change in schedule ruin the Olympics?

SDS

I think that the network policy of showing recaps instead of live coverage has hurt it more than anything. Obviously they're trying to make the best of a bad situation when it comes to having Olympics in different time zones, but the coverage for the past couple of Olympics that I have watched have been awful. They just don't play the events that appeal to me. I think you're on to something with the every two years thing as well. The Winter Olympics should be like a warm up act for the Summer games which have always been the main event.

Yep. I just don't care when they come around anymore. Every 4 years was more exciting. Plus these "human interest stories" get on my nerves. I just want to see the competition. Tell me who is expected to win, and who could shock the world and leave it at that.

I think letting professional atheletes play in some of the significant sporting events ruined it for me. I also hate the human interest stories, the constant cutting away from events to watch people cry on a podium, and the idiotic montages.

One big thing is there's no hated rivals anymore. No USSR. China? Big deal. The lack of fascists and commies has ruined sports, IMO. We need a good, old fashioned dictator to come along and get the Olympic Games back on track. We should keep a few questionable regimes in power just to make the games exciting again.

If they didn't spend so much time on one sport, then it would appeal to more people. Winter Olympics is about figure skating and summer is about gymnastics. Focus on more sports an you would have a larger appeal.

I do not care about seeing it live. Why the hell should games be played at 7am in Korea just so Americans can watch it live in primetime? Now that they are in Italy, they would have to play the games at 2am just so Americans can see the event at 8PM EST. Get over it.

No, the modern world killed the olympics. When they were big they were the only sports option available. I can remember waiting for the summer or winter games because it meant sports would be on TV during the week! Didn't matter if it was the luge, or crew it was sports. Outside of ABCs wide world you got to see events that were never aired elsewhere.

I think letting professional atheletes play in some of the significant sporting events ruined it for me.  I also hate the human interest stories, the constant cutting away from events to watch people cry on a podium, and the idiotic montages.

One big thing is there's no hated rivals anymore.  No USSR.  China?  Big deal.  The lack of fascists and commies has ruined sports, IMO.  We need a good, old fashioned dictator to come along and get the Olympic Games back on track.  We should keep a few questionable regimes in power just to make the games exciting again.

572027[/snapback]

Johnny, this post sums it up great! I agree with both positions.

And to add to it this year, ya just know that the Sabres are gunna lose all momentum after the break. It is the Buffalo way after all. First good squad we have had in 4 years, and we get a friggen three week break.

Go back to amateurs

If they didn't spend so much time on one sport, then it would appeal to more people. Winter Olympics is about figure skating and summer is about gymnastics. Focus on more sports an you would have a larger appeal.

I do not care about seeing it live. Why the hell should games be played at 7am in Korea just so Americans can watch it live in primetime? Now that they are in Italy, they would have to play the games at 2am just so Americans can see the event at 8PM EST. Get over it.

572062[/snapback]

You assume that anyone that wants to watch it live would want the games adjusted to the US schedule. Personally I'd like the option of catching the events live at odd hours like that and then having a wrapup in primetime like they do.

Blame women for most of these complaints. They are the ones driving the human interest stories. The networks figure the men will watch regardless, so they try and draw more women in with all the bull sh--.

Blame women for most of these complaints.  They are the ones driving the human interest stories.  The networks figure the men will watch regardless, so they try and draw more women in with all the bull sh--.

572251[/snapback]

The last Olympics got to be a joke, Dottie the Bulgarian weightlifter is recovering from severe acne, and not only that she has dedicated this next lift to her cousin who is mourning the death of her beagle that died in a tragic fetching accident, after the Olympics Dottie hopes to dedicate her life to help people that have lost their beagles in the line of fetching, (pan to shot of her cousin and her lifetime partner Beulah, and fade to montage of Dottie in stages of acne.)

I love it all. But I'd love it better without the pros.

I'm a woman, so I like some human interest stuff, if it focuses on someone who overcomes a lot of obstacles to make it. I enjoy learing how so many from 3rd world countries go through so much to get a chance to compete. But it can get a little too soppy.

Who doesn't love the movie "Cool Runnings"