IF Sherman named HC: A look at the Packers UFAs

The Jokeman

Now there's no guarantee any of them would follow him here but I thought I'd take a look if there's anyone that could help us.

Kevin Barry OT: Career backup OT, might be worth a look for depth.

Rob Davis LS: I was happy with Schneck's first year and hope he'll be retained so no thanks.

Najeh Davenport RB: Has the size to be a good backup FB and speed for RB. Also a former the U alum who might give McGahee reason to stick around yet I'd pass on him.

Tony Fisher RB: A very good fit as good receiver out of backfield and a capable backup

Mike Flanagan C: An upgrade to Teague but age and cap concerns means most likely won't get.

Rod Gardner WR: No thanks.

Ahman Green RB: Injured most of this year and probably want to sign somewhere (Arizona) where can start.

William Henderson FB: Great blocking FB is upgrade over Shelton but at what cost? Especially with his age.

Grady Jackson DT: Popular choice among TBD crowd, I'd rather get someone younger.

Aaron Kampman DE: A very good Left DE, would step in and immediately displace either Kelsay or Denney as full time starter but likely out of our price range.

Paris Lenon LB: Starting SLB for the Pack, would consider if let go of Posey and to compete with a questionable Spikes (as think we might want to keep Crowell at WLB and shift Spikes to SLB). Though again might go elsewhere or stay with the Pack to start.

Ryan Longwell K: Lindell was our most improved player, don't see a need for a K.

Craig Nall QB: Another Kelly Holcomb type not a need.

Grey Ruegamer OL : Backup C/G worth considering if let Teague go and want a vet backup incase Preston struggles as a starter next year.

Source of list and help in evaluation from: Scout.com: 2006 Packers free agents

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277901

Defensive tackle Grady Jackson, one of several Packers veterans who will become free agents, expressed support for Sherman.

"Mike was a great guy and I know he'll be coaching somewhere else," Jackson said. "Wherever he goes, I won't mind playing for Mike Sherman. He's just that great of a guy."

Not the youngest player the Bills could sign, but he'd solve an immediate problem and buy the Bills some time at the DT position.

I'm okay with Jackson...draft Ngata, sign Jackson and BAM...major interior D-Line upgrade.

571698[/snapback]

Problem is both Jackson and Ngata are more two gap DTs which might help our ability to stop the run but could impact our pass rush. Granted Jackson did show in his younger days to be pretty good at getting at the QB.

I'm okay with Jackson...draft Ngata, sign Jackson and BAM...major interior D-Line upgrade.

571698[/snapback]

Definately, especially if Adams is let go (which I highly doubt). Even if Adams is kept...we got Adams, Jackson, Anderson and a much improved Bannan, throw Ngata in the mix if we get him and we've got quite the rotation. A fresh DLine is a dangerous Dline.

I'd be extremely happy if Sherman could bring Bates with him to Buffalo along with a FA or two.

Problem is both Jackson and Ngata are more two gap DTs which might help our ability to stop the run but could impact our pass rush. Granted Jackson did show in his younger days to be pretty good at getting at the QB.

571701[/snapback]

What WVU said.

No problem there. No problem at all, going from zero legitimate two-gap DTs to TWO, especially in hot-weather games. (At his age/weight, I wouldn't expect Jackson to get over half the defensive snaps no matter what...)

What WVU said.

No problem there. No problem at all, going from zero legitimate two-gap DTs to TWO, especially in hot-weather games. (At his age/weight, I wouldn't expect Jackson to get over half the defensive snaps no matter what...)

571709[/snapback]

It's not a bad idea but do we really want to pour cap room into a top 10 draft pick, and primo free agent DT? That's part of the reason rather go after a guy like Ryan Pickett in free agency (who is younger and likely play more) and hope to land a guy like Gabe Watson in Round 2 of the draft. As I really think we'd be foolish passing on an OT like Eric Winston with our top pick.

It's not a bad idea but do we really want to pour cap room into a top 10 draft pick, and primo free agent DT? That's part of the reason rather go after a guy like Ryan Pickett in free agency (who is younger and likely play more) and hope to land a guy like Gabe Watson in Round 2 of the draft. As I really think we'd be foolish passing on an OT like Eric Winston with our top pick.

571722[/snapback]

Depends on how much Jackson thinks he's worth, how much he's really worth, and who gets taken with the top 7 picks...

Definately, especially if Adams is let go (which I highly doubt).  Even if Adams is kept...we got Adams, Jackson, Anderson and a much improved Bannan, throw Ngata in the mix if we get him and we've got quite the rotation.  A fresh DLine is a dangerous Dline.

I'd be extremely happy if Sherman could bring Bates with him to Buffalo along with a FA or two.

571705[/snapback]

every minute you spend posting here is one less minute searching for the girl in your avatar! :huh:0:)

571722[/snapback]

I definitely dont have a problem with going O-Line in the first and D-Line in the second...I also think Gabe Watson is extremely underrated and will be a very solid starter in the NFL.

IMO, regardless of if the bills go out and sign quality FAs, we should still spend our first two picks on O-Line and D-Line. This is a deep draft for both and we'd be foolish not to stock up.

Now there's no guarantee any of them would follow him here but I thought I'd take a look if there's anyone that could help us.

Kevin Barry OT: Career backup OT, might be worth a look for depth.

He's real good at running that U-71--a play named for him. Worked pretty well, and in fact we put a RB who couldn't even start on his high school team into it and he did pretty well.

Rob Davis LS: I was happy with Schneck's first year and hope he'll be retained so no thanks.

One of the best long-snappers in the league, most the time, but wasn't impressive this year.

Najeh Davenport RB: Has the size to be a good backup FB and speed for RB. Also a former the U alum who might give McGahee reason to stick around yet I'd pass on him.

Runs too high, always hurt--you can have him--doubt you need him though.

Tony Fisher RB: A very good fit as good receiver out of backfield and a capable backup

Capable third-string running back. Runs the halfback option especially well. Not that I ever wanna see that particular play, but when it's Fisher at least I know he can throw the ball.

Mike Flanagan C: An upgrade to Teague but age and cap concerns means most likely won't get.

Came off a season ending injury in '04, he wasn't impressive early and he was fighting a sports hernia all year as well. Made the Pro-Bowl a few times, and some of his early struggles could be laid on the fact we threw warm bodies in next to him when he was used to dealing with Pro-Bowlers. I wanna keep this guy, and hopefully due to recent injuries he won't draw too much attention.

So hands off! :huh:

Rod Gardner WR: No thanks.

Looked pretty good to me, I hope we can keep him. Then again we were combing the high schools for recievers by the end of the year so perhaps compared to what we'd seen he looked impressive for a guy who'd never played in our offense. Guy has athletic ability, I'll tell you that right now.

Ahman Green RB: Injured most of this year and probably want to sign somewhere (Arizona) where can start.

You guys don't need RBs, don't tease us. Ahman got an absolutely brutal injury, so no one will sign him most likely. Don't be terribly surprised if he runs for 1000 yards (second half most likely) once he comes back. Not expected back for training camp, which makes his being signed by any other team unlikely. So hands off! :(

William Henderson FB: Great blocking FB is upgrade over Shelton but at what cost? Especially with his age.

Yep, too old for you, stay away. Hands off--we love him. : 0:)

Grady Jackson DT: Popular choice among TBD crowd, I'd rather get someone younger.

Grady has played very well for us, but wants a contract indicative of how he's played, and lemme just say I think it unlikely TT will give it to him. Knees are a problem, as well as age, but I just gotta say this: you couldn't tell it by the way he played.

Aaron Kampman DE: A very good Left DE, would step in and immediately displace either Kelsay or Denney as full time starter but likely out of our price range.

Don't you dare! This one is ours, but our Lowball Artist in Charge wasn't smart enough to sign him to a longterm contract last year, thus he'll command bigger bucks this year. We better sign him before you even get the chance, and perhaps TT will learn something about being 'penny-wise, pound foolish.' ;)

Paris Lenon LB: Starting SLB for the Pack, would consider if let go of Posey and to compete with a questionable Spikes (as think we might want to keep Crowell at WLB and shift Spikes to SLB). Though again might go elsewhere or stay with the Pack to start.

Lenon actually played well for us in Bates' scheme. He's pretty good in coverage for a linebacker. That being said, I hope we can do better, and it wouldn't break my heart were he to leave. Dunno if he's starter material in a 4-3, though a 3-4 might be a different story. Incidentally, he was only a starter by default. Robert Thomas who we hauled off the airplane and onto the field and Diggs were supposed to be our starters.

Ryan Longwell K: Lindell was our most improved player, don't see a need for a K.

Good. Thou shalt not touch. You dun wanna know Longwell's advantage over other NFL kickers in Lambeau since '97 when he came into the league. What would you need a kicker who could kick 84% after December first in the coldest place in the league? Why, you're almost in a dome there in Buffalo.

(just being sardonic of course, I know what Buffalo winters are like)

:huh:

Craig Nall QB: Another Kelly Holcomb type not a need.

Probably better than Holcomb and Losman both, at this juncture. I know one thing, neither have a better arm. Guy has an absolute cannon. The only reason Nall has not gotten his shot is because we have Brett Favre, and the only reason he's been third string is he had his hand broken brutally in college holding for the kicker. This guy can play ball, was one of the highest recruited high-schoolers before he got an injury. Was all lined up to go to Miami U and everything. Played outstanding when given a chance, both in NFLE and the NFL itself. We just happened to have a guy considered worthy of the #1 pick in the draft fall to us, that's Nall's only real problem.

Grey Ruegamer OL : Backup C/G worth considering if let Teague go and want a vet backup incase Preston struggles as a starter next year.

Good solid back-up, played well in spot starts. Probably shoulda been starting from the beginning, but we went with TT's boys: Whittaker and Klemm. Sherman finally ditched those two in favor of the guys he knew could play: Wells and Ruegamer. Not much more to say, other than you'll be happy with him as a back-up, and I mean no offense, but probably as a starter too as I've seen your line play the last few years and it's been ugly. :D

Rod Gardner was on the Packers???  I thought he was bagging groceries somewhere.

571948[/snapback]

Where on earth do you think we were getting our recievers at the end of the year? A guy quick with the groceries at the local A&P?--sign him up! :blink:

It was worse with running backs, actually. Which is why we had to start a guy who couldn't even start for Liberty U in the bottom dregs of college ball. Had two whole starts there. Guy didn't even start in high school. Turned out pretty good overall, actually won the Falcons game for us. Needed some work on holding on to the ball though, as you can imagine. Last time he took this many hits was probably Pee-wee league.

A list of our RBs this past season:

Ahman Green (IR)

Najeh Davenport (IR)

Tony Fischer (busted ribs, came back though)

Walt Williams (lasted ONE real play--IR)

RaShard Lee (Fumbled on first two carries--IR)

Samkon Gado (did great outside the fumbles, but again--IR)

Noah Herron (Our starter the last couple games, along with a repaired Fischer)

Never seen anything quite like that. In comparison, we only lost our #1, #4, and #6 recievers, though we lost our #3 for several games and our Pro Bowl TE and his back up. Was like watching an episode of 'Murder She Wrote' there for a while. :w00t: