Saints to name Payton new coach

JimBob2232

From the Article:

Payton won out after strong recommendations from close coaching cronies inside the division, Carolina's John Fox and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, as well as from many others throughout the NFL. He was offered the Raiders' coaching job two years ago but turned it down.

Note to Marv: Please do not call Belichick and Saban and ask whom to hire....Yikes...

From the Article:

Payton won out after strong recommendations from close coaching cronies inside the division, Carolina's John Fox and Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden, as well as from many others throughout the NFL. He was offered the Raiders' coaching job two years ago but turned it down.

Note to Marv:  Please do not call Belichick and Saban and ask whom to hire....Yikes...

571438[/snapback]

Belichick and Saban want Haslett.

Well, I'm still hoping Marv will be HC - despite what Ralph says. I can see a scenario where Marv coaches for a year, with Bobby April as assistant HC to groom him for taking over in a year or two. After all, Marv began his NFL coaching career as a special teams coach.

Barring that, I would much prefer Mike Sherman to Jim Haslett. I believe it was Marv who cut Haslett as a player, and I think Haslett's steroid accusations at Kent Hull may still linger with some players/alumni. Also, I'm just not that impressed with Haslett's record in New Orleans.

But, as one article on TBD pointed out this morning, by the time we get around to interviewing, many of the top candidates may land elsewhere - especially given the turmoil at OBD. Marv may be the last good option, no?