my brain is telling me that sherman ...

he's won consistently and did it while rotating in an entirely new roster outside of the qb position. he also oversaw teams that blocked well and ran the ball effectively.

the downside is the playoff coaching. i can see losing to a great rams team in st. louis, and the philly game was pretty flukey. but losing at home 27-7 to atlanta was bad, and choking against minnesota at home last year wasn't so great either. i guess he's a marty schottenheimer type, but i can live with that. the teams will most likely be well coached, prepared, and on the same page.

my heart has been telling me haslett, but there is that record of sherman's (plus sherman beat haslett 52-3 this year). he was 53-27 up until this year. that's really good.

i am not keen on the hiring of jauron. if it happens, i'll of course hope for the best and cheer him on. from the outside, though, he looks like the dictionary definition of a retread coach.

he's won consistently and did it while rotating in an entirely new roster outside of the qb position. he also oversaw teams that blocked well and ran the ball effectively. 

the downside is the playoff coaching. i can see losing to a great rams team in st. louis, and the philly game was pretty flukey. but losing at home 27-7 to atlanta was bad, and choking against minnesota at home last year wasn't so great either. i guess he's a marty schottenheimer type, but i can live with that. the teams will most likely be well coached, prepared, and on the same page. 

my heart has been telling me haslett, but there is that record of sherman's (plus sherman beat haslett 52-3 this year).  he was 53-27 up until this year.  that's really good.

i am not keen on the hiring of jauron. if it happens, i'll of course hope for the best and cheer him on. from the outside, though, he looks like the dictionary definition of a retread coach.

571194[/snapback]

Very, very profound post. :huh:

;I'm not optimistic if what is going on is that the circle of candidates is so limited and closed. The best candidates will be signed in the next 10 days from that group and we will be scrounging to get a not too bad leftover (haslett). I'd be trying to expand the pool of acceptable candidates. April is one example of creative expansion of the pool, and the universe of college coaches is another area where we should be looking. I have conducted searches for high level positions for the last 25 years, and one of the biggest mistakes is jumping to conclusions about candidates before you create a viable pool. I know many of us on the board (including me) are speculating about who might be best, but I hope the powers that be are being open-minded and trying to expand the pool beyond the usual suspects.

;I'm not optimistic if what is going on is that the circle of candidates is so limited and closed.  The best candidates will be signed in the next 10 days from that group and we will be scrounging to get a not too bad leftover (haslett).  I'd be trying to expand the pool of acceptable candidates. April is one example of creative expansion of the pool, and the universe of college coaches is another area where we should be looking. I have conducted searches for high level positions for the last 25 years, and one of the biggest mistakes is jumping to conclusions about candidates before you create a viable pool.  I know many of us on the board (including me) are speculating about who might be best, but I hope the powers that be are being open-minded and trying to expand the pool beyond the usual suspects.

571221[/snapback]

Interesting idea, but flesh it out. Divide candidates into three categories: former head coaches, assistants, and college coaches. Who would you add to each category that's not currently being considered?

Interesting idea, but flesh it out.  Divide candidates into three categories: former head coaches, assistants, and college coaches.  Who would you add to each category that's not currently being considered?

571232[/snapback]

after the last couple of coaches, i feel pretty strongly that the bills will *not* hire an assistant. i also think that levy is the sort of person who looks at his own experience and says, i made it my second time after getting a raw deal the first time around.

as for college coaches, there are no nick saban's out there who want to go pro right now. most college coaches are woefully unprepared for the pros; it's a very rare one who does do well. for every nick saban and jimmy johnson, there are 10 rich brooks, lou holtzes, steve spurriers, and mike rileys.

put simply, i really think we're going to hire a former head coach.

Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. Kirk Firenz of Iowa,

ike Shula of Alabama, Mike Leach of Texas Tech, George O'Leary of UCF (Georgia Tech, Minnesota Vikings) oleary

Jimmy Johnson is a left field ex head coach as is Mike Tice When it comes to head coaches with pro head coaching experience they aren't generally looking. I don't remember seeing Bill Parcell's name on Monster Board when the Cowboys were looking.

You know what, I was thinking about this today and even though I don't think Sherman is a coach who will take you all the way, I think this team needs a taste of success. If he can right the ship and get the Bills back to the playoffs I'm all for it. If the team had been a contender at any point over the last few years I'd be looking for someone different to put them over the top, but, well, here we are.