Dick Jauron Info

JoeF

Bio:

Dick Jauron

didn't know he was on Bills staff in 1985---Hank Bullough's staff....

Relationship with Dick LaBeau

LeBeau and Jauron

Perspective at end of Lions interim job:

Jauron from Lions

Player Quotes from Chicago:

"I love playing for him personally," Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "I think everyone on this team would say the same thing. He's a stand-up guy. He stands up for what he believes in. He's not a real talker because talking doesn't win games. Players win games and making plays wins games. He tells us that."

"Everyone gives him a bum rap because he's not real vocal with the media. But when he needs to get us going, he gets us going."

Instead of yelling and getting all rah-rah, he takes a different method," linebacker Warrick Holdman said. "He just tells you what needs to be done. He not the guy who's going to go in the middle of the team room and break a chair or crack the chalkboard over his head."

Jauron won the loyalty of the players during the tough times by never singling out any individuals for public criticism. When things went wrong, he took the blame. The players and assistant coaches admired his quiet strength, which paid dividends in the breakthrough 2001 season.

"I have never seen (Jauron) take a player who was struggling and maybe played an awful game and berate that player to protect himself," said Mike Singletary, the Bears Hall of Fame linebacker, who won a Super Bowl under Mike Ditka. "That's a real tribute. There were some opportunities when he could have...really jumped on the bandwagon to save himself and he didn't take the opportunity. He took the high road."

"From Day One, he has treated me like a man," said defensive end Phillip Daniels. "He asked me about my family and how they were doing. Most coaches aren't concerned with that. They're concerned with winning and that's it. He's not like that. I just see something different in him. He's a team player, he's a player's coach."

Knocks are that he is--

1) Unemotional

2) Conservative

3) Defensive oriented with no proclivity or focus on Offense..

Bio:

Dick Jauron

didn't know he was on Bills staff in 1985---Hank Bullough's staff....

Relationship with Dick LaBeau

LeBeau and Jauron

Perspective at end of Lions interim job:

Jauron from Lions

Player Quotes from Chicago:

"I love playing for him personally," Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher said.  "I think everyone on this team would say the same thing.  He's a stand-up guy.  He stands up for what he believes in.  He's not a real talker because talking doesn't win games.  Players win games and making plays wins games.  He tells us that."

"Everyone gives him a bum rap because he's not real vocal with the media.  But when he needs to get us going, he gets us going."

Instead of yelling and getting all rah-rah, he takes a different method," linebacker Warrick Holdman said.  "He just tells you what needs to be done.  He not the guy who's going to go in the middle of the team room and break a chair or crack the chalkboard over his head."

Jauron won the loyalty of the players during the tough times by never singling out any individuals for public criticism.  When things went wrong, he took the blame.  The players and assistant coaches admired his quiet strength, which paid dividends in the breakthrough 2001 season.

"I have never seen (Jauron) take a player who was struggling and maybe played an awful game and berate that player to protect himself," said Mike Singletary, the Bears Hall of Fame linebacker, who won a Super Bowl under Mike Ditka.  "That's a real tribute.  There were some opportunities when he could have...really jumped on the bandwagon to save himself and he didn't take the opportunity.  He took the high road."

"From Day One, he has treated me like a man," said defensive end Phillip Daniels.  "He asked me about my family and how they were doing.  Most coaches aren't concerned with that.  They're concerned with winning and that's it.  He's not like that.  I just see something different in him.  He's a team player, he's a player's coach."

Knocks are that he is--

1) Unemotional

2) Conservative

3) Defensive oriented with no proclivity or focus on Offense..

570838[/snapback]

I don't think I like him for the Bills job, but I had forgotten what a great job he did in Chicago that year -- and how it seemed unfair that they dumped him when he brought them som success.

jauron strikes me as an uninspired choice - the very definition of the retread coach. he had one good season in chicago and 4 bad ones. take out the 13-3 season, and he was 22-42 in his other 4 seasons. moreover, his offenses became progressively worse over time.

offensive rankings:

1999 - 8

2000 - 24

2001 - 27

2002 - 29

2003 - 29

his defenses were never above the middle of the pack either:

1999 - 30

2000 - 16

2001 - 13

2002 - 25

2003 - 12

I really hope whoever the coach of the Bills is never, ever reads or even hears of this board. When the headcoach starts caring what the fans think of the job he is doing he's done. And as to the buffalo media?? If both of them can influence the head coach, he shouldn't be the headcoach.

For one reason or the other, he was a loser as Chicago's HC and in Detroit. In addition, if he cannot handle press conferences the Buffalo media and this board will roast him alive. I repeat that we can consider him for the DC position but not as a HC.

570976[/snapback]

I really hope whoever the coach of the Bills is never, ever reads or even hears of this board.  When the headcoach starts caring what the fans think of the job he is doing he's done.  And as to the buffalo media?? If both of them can influence the head coach, he shouldn't be the headcoach.

570996[/snapback]

What I have learned after so many years on this board is this - the larger sentiments of this board truly are a lead indicator of changes that happen on the Bills. I am too lazy to type out examples, but my point is that this hiring has to create positive excitement else that HC will be fighting a tough battle right from the beginning.

I think Jauron will be an excellent choice. He has prior HC experience and probably has learned from any mistakes he made. The players loved him and he was successful (remember the Bears were awful at personnel during those years).

Also, a conservative, defense oriented coach will give this team its best chance to be successful quickly. I liked him last time over everyone except Weis.