Finding housing in NYC

I, OTOH, am a full time Masters student, working a measley 15 hours a week with piss poor credit but with a substantial amount of loan money (nearly $5,000) coming in a few weeks.

570812[/snapback]

how on earth did you only get approved for $5k?

I can get $8k a year subsidized as a PhD student and they already pay me

in fact, I think the feds will give you up to $16k a year (except only $8k is subsidized)

Doc, he's moving to NYC.  I'd bet $1000 that the first hardware store you walked into wouldn't even blink before making all the key copies you want, no matter what it says on the key.

571193[/snapback]

or you can just tape something over the "Do Not Copy"

when I was an undergrad, one of my roomates taped over his "Do Not Copy" imprint and replaced it with a sticker that said "Mom's Backdoor" :huh:

hey, it worked

Take a deep breath.

I really don't think it matters. In fact, I really don't think anyone will care. Most buildings in Queens/Brooklyn don't care. Show that you (or in this case your G/F) have a job and you're fine. Some buildings in Manhattan may care, but you're not looking there. You are simply a secondary source of income and your G/f is actually the one renting the apt.

Also, by piss poor credit do you mean it stinks or you don't have much of a history? If its B, you may be fine even with your name.

Take a deep breath.

I really don't think it matters.  In fact, I really don't think anyone will care.  Most buildings in Queens/Brooklyn don't care.  Show that you (or in this case your G/F) have a job and you're fine.  Some buildings in Manhattan may care, but you're not looking there.  You are simply a secondary source of income and your G/f is actually the one renting the apt.

Also, by piss poor credit do you mean it stinks or you don't have much of a history?  If its B, you may be fine even with your name.

571422[/snapback]

I think it would matter if there are several other candidates interested in the same apt. who may have a better credit history or a better current occupation with better means of coming up with rent.

We attended an open house in Astoria off the Ditmers stop on the N W and the old lady really liked the place. We informed the the individual showing off the apt. of our interest in the place and he suggested we pay the $35 per application fee to get the ball rolling because he knew of at least 3 other groups of people who were going to apply but said we were the first to get the app. fee into him. He then said he makes suggestions to the owner based on his encounters at the open house.

I do have a credit history which involves collection agencies.

I think it would matter if there are several other candidates interested in the same apt. who may have a better credit history or a better current occupation with better means of coming up with rent. 

We attended an open house in Astoria off the Ditmers stop on the N W and the old lady really liked the place.  We informed the the individual showing off the apt. of our interest in the place and he suggested we pay the $35 per application fee to get the ball rolling because he knew of at least 3 other groups of people who were going to apply but said we were the first to get the app. fee into him.  He then said he makes suggestions to the owner based on his encounters at the open house. 

I do have a credit history which involves collection agencies.

571591[/snapback]

Join the club. Like I said earlier, if your girlfriends credit is spotless, you may have a much beeter chance keeping your name off the lease, as long as her income is enought to cover rent. My guess, and it only a guess, is they would want rent to be no more than 30% of gross income. Again, purley a guess but I am sure someone on this board has better knowledge ot that. So, if her income can cover that, keep your name off if your worried about compiition for the place

we pay the $35 per application fee to get the ball rolling because he knew of at least 3 other groups of people who were going to apply but said we were the first to get the app. fee into him. He then said he makes suggestions to the owner based on his encounters at the open house.

If you like the apt, go for it. Do it in your g/f's name.

BTW - That is standard NYC-speak sales talk. He'll recommend whoever pays the fee and can get him his commission the quickest so that he can move on to the next commission.