Officials are terrible in the NFL

billsboys

i can't.  watch it for me and tell me what you see. :lol:

568832[/snapback]

I can't either - already been deleted. :lol:

Regardless, it was close at the very least, and definately favored the Steelers (ie: the refs could've easily called it a fumble if they were going gung-ho in favor of the Colts).

CW

What flinch?  I saw the guy move his head about 1/4 of an inch.  Go back on Tivo and watch every olineman on every play.  You'd  see that much of a flinch on 80% of the plays.  The Colts tried for cheap penalty and even their compliant officials wouldn't go along.

568780[/snapback]

His head? His entire upper body moved. That type of move gets called all the time. I have no clue how the zebras missed it.

His head?  His entire upper body moved.  That type of move gets called all the time.  I have no clue how the zebras missed it.

568846[/snapback]

He moved, allright. Hard to believe it was missed. What i didn't see clearly is...did any of the Colts make contact with a Steeler? If so that should have been a penalty against the Colts if they were blind enough to not see the flinch. (Usually, when 4 guys jump in unison, the official just throws the flag against the O and figures he missed something.)

He moved, allright.  Hard to believe it was missed.  What i didn't see clearly is...did any of the Colts make contact with a Steeler?  If so that should have been a penalty against the Colts if they were blind enough to not see the flinch.  (Usually, when 4 guys jump in unison, the official just throws the flag against the O and figures he missed something.)

568850[/snapback]

They didn't show the replay too much, but it actually DIDN'T look like he touched anyone. That said, technically it doesn't matter if they made contact -- they simulated teh snap of the ball, so it would've been a Colts penalty anyway.

I think that was the refs way of letting the players decide the outcome by not calling the minor flinch, and not calling the offsides. They shouldn't have done that though, IMHO.

CW

They didn't show the replay too much, but it actually DIDN'T look like he touched anyone.  That said, technically it doesn't matter if they made contact -- they simulated teh snap of the ball, so it would've been a Colts penalty anyway.

I think that was the refs way of letting the players decide the outcome by not calling the minor flinch, and not calling the offsides.  They shouldn't have done that though, IMHO.

CW

568853[/snapback]

I agree it was a cluster-fu#k. But, if no contact was made the officials do not HAVE to throw the flag. Defensive players can jump the line if they get back ontime...SOMETIMES. The official CAN call the "simulated snap" thing or encroachment and they do SOMETIMES. It's kinda screwy, IMO.

What the official did was blow the whistle (and not throw the flag against the Colts) prematurely. If there wasn't a penalty there was no reason to blow the whistle. If Pitt snaps, the Colts are offside, if they get back the play is on. After all, no official saw the flinch or contact...and none of them thought the Colts simlated the snap or encroached...right?

The official who stopped the play (blew the whistle before the play, actually) for no reason (apparently)is the problem here...no?

And as long as I'm ranting here (thanks, JSP...it worked!), why are there Offensive "illegal procedure" penalties that are called AFTER the play. Shouldn't the whistle blow and the play be stopped if the O did something BEFORE the snap? What am I missing here (besides my brain)? :lol:

There's a reason why the officiating is as bad as it is. The officials union got upset over last year's assignments because the system called for the top three officials at each position (R, U, LJ, HL, FJ, BJ, SJ) to get TWO playoff games (WC/Divisional and CC/SB). This meant that around 60% of the officials didn't get playoff assignments because the higher rating officials had more games.

This year, the Conference Championship games are NOT being officiated by officials who already got assignments. These new crews doing the CC games are still ranked either 2 or 3 at their position. Therefore 14 extra officials get playoff assignments that wouldn't have normally gotten them under the 2004 system. This has led to very questionable crews (Triplette and Winter come to mind) getting assignments that they really don't deserve.

FWIW, look for Terry McAulay and Ed Hochuli to be wearing white hats next weekend with Mike Carey (who was in the WC round) in the SB.

There's a reason why the officiating is as bad as it is.  The officials union got upset over last year's assignments because the system called for the top three officials at each position (R, U, LJ, HL, FJ, BJ, SJ) to get TWO playoff games (WC/Divisional and CC/SB).  This meant that around 60% of the officials didn't get playoff assignments because the higher rating officials had more games.

This year, the Conference Championship games are NOT being officiated by officials who already got assignments.  These new crews doing the CC games are still ranked either 2 or 3 at their position.  Therefore 14 extra officials get playoff assignments that wouldn't have normally gotten them under the 2004 system.  This has led to very questionable crews (Triplette and Winter come to mind) getting assignments that they really don't deserve.

FWIW, look for Terry McAulay and Ed Hochuli to be wearing white hats next weekend with Mike Carey (who was in the WC round) in the SB.

569007[/snapback]

Nice info, man. Great post...thanks

BTW, just so you all know, the interception call in Indianapolis was correct. While it appeared to be caught, it wasn't because the receiver was not down by contact, i.e. no Colts player touched him. When you're a receiver (either offensive or defensive) and you're in this situation you can either lie there and get touched (while maintaining possession 100% of that time) OR get your butt, knees, elbows, etc OFF THE GROUND (i.e. every part of your body that would rule the ball dead if it's touching the ground and you've been touched) while keeping possession 100% of the time until all of those body parts are off the ground. The "football act" in this situation is getting off the ground. Morelli made the correct call. Of course you wouldn't know that because TV announcers don't know the game as well as they should.

BTW, just so you all know, the interception call in Indianapolis was correct.  While it appeared to be caught, it wasn't because the receiver was not down by contact, i.e. no Colts player touched him.  When you're a receiver (either offensive or defensive) and you're in this situation you can either lie there and get touched (while maintaining possession 100% of that time) OR get your butt, knees, elbows, etc OFF THE GROUND (i.e. every part of your body that would rule the ball dead if it's touching the ground and you've been touched) while keeping possession 100% of the time until all of those body parts are off the ground.  The "football act" in this situation is getting off the ground.  Morelli made the correct call.  Of course you wouldn't know that because TV announcers don't know the game as well as they should.

569040[/snapback]

Oh BuuuuullSh it!! It was a INT big time! :w00t:

BTW, just so you all know, the interception call in Indianapolis was correct.  While it appeared to be caught, it wasn't because the receiver was not down by contact, i.e. no Colts player touched him.  When you're a receiver (either offensive or defensive) and you're in this situation you can either lie there and get touched (while maintaining possession 100% of that time) OR get your butt, knees, elbows, etc OFF THE GROUND (i.e. every part of your body that would rule the ball dead if it's touching the ground and you've been touched) while keeping possession 100% of the time until all of those body parts are off the ground.  The "football act" in this situation is getting off the ground.  Morelli made the correct call.  Of course you wouldn't know that because TV announcers don't know the game as well as they should.

569040[/snapback]

Yes we all know the TV announcers don't know the game as well as they should, but that was the wrong call. This season had so many bad or missed calls that it's unbelievable how many there were! Think about it. :w00t:

No, it wasn't the wrong call. No football move was made - rolling over without getting up is not a football move. Here's a similar situation: what if a receiver catches the ball, gets both feet in bounds right along the line, but then as he falls to the ground out of bounds, loses the ball. Is it a catch? No, it isn't. Same situation here. Polamalu was in the act of catching the ball as he rolled over. If he had gotten his knees off the ground, that'd have qualified as a football move, but he didn't do it. Therefore, the call was correct.

I agree that whole false start/offside situation was ridiculous, but the interception was spot-on.

No, it wasn't the wrong call.  No football move was made - rolling over without getting up is not a football move.  Here's a similar situation: what if a receiver catches the ball, gets both feet in bounds right along the line, but then as he falls to the ground out of bounds, loses the ball.  Is it a catch?  No, it isn't.  Same situation here.  Polamalu was in the act of catching the ball as he rolled over.  If he had gotten his knees off the ground, that'd have qualified as a football move, but he didn't do it.  Therefore, the call was correct.

I agree that whole false start/offside situation was ridiculous, but the interception was spot-on.

569105[/snapback]

I don't know who the hell you are, sullim...but you know your s#it...or, at least, you seem to.

You came strong at least twice so far in this thread. Welcome to the Wall, man. Keep it comin'.

I think we should stick a chip in the darn ball and chips in the field (im not computer expert, so someone can clarify this for me) and let the computers tell us whether it is a first down or not.

568703[/snapback]

If they can put the computerized yellow line across the field on TV, they also can make the same line available to refs and fans at the game--think of a giant laser level. It's just a question of whether the league wants to do it. Right now, looks like no.

If they can put the computerized yellow line across the field on TV, they also can make the same line available to refs and fans at the game--think of a giant laser level.  It's just a question of whether the league wants to do it.  Right now, looks like no.

569328[/snapback]

As I said in a previous thread, it's NOT that simple and it's not something that you can put a chip in a football to solve.

The problem (with spotting the ball, anyway) is that not only do you have to watch where the ball is, but also when the player's knee hits the turf. If you put a chip in the ball, how is it going to know when the player's knee is down? It won't, it will just be able to tell how far forward it went, even if the player moved up after being tackled. It's not hockey, where it could be argued a chip in the puck could tell if it's in the goal or not.

And if you think it's easy to see where the ball should be spotted on every play, go out and ref a high school game. It's not easy, it's hard.

And for those who want to know how the first down line is "painted" on the field:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/first-down-line.htm

CW