Decent article about Bill Cowher...

SDS

etc... plus, has a small blurb about TD, Halsett.

http://www.pghsports.com/2005-Issues/psr0512/05120101.html

There is always that age old question about the value of the Marty's and Cowher's of the world and if they are better than having someone unknown, but with a better hope of winning a championship.

567571[/snapback]

That's a GREAT article, Fearless Leader...Thanks.

As for your thought provoking question, I think it depends on the team's situation (or the PERCEIVED team situation). If the team is a mess and need to learn how to be a competent NFL team, you take a Marty or a Cower in a heartbeat. If you are a team on the bubble (or if you think you have the talent to be a SB competitor) then you may need to find someone to take you over the top.

You know my biases. Marty is Chuck Knox. If the Bills really suck that bad, i believe a guy like him would make us competitive quickly. l have no faith in his (or Cowher's) ability to get us to a SB. If we think we have the talent to compete at a high level now, we should look to someone who has the possibility of taking us over the top (with the risk he may flop, of course).

That's a GREAT article, Fearless Leader...Thanks.

As for your thought provoking question, I think it depends on the team's situation (or the PERCEIVED team situation).  If the team is a mess and need to learn how to be a competent NFL team, you take a Marty or a Cower in a heartbeat.  If you are a team on the bubble (or if you think you have the talent to be a SB competitor) then you may need to find someone to take you over the top. 

You know my biases.  Marty is Chuck Knox.  If the Bills really suck that bad, i believe a guy like him would make us competitive quickly.  l have no faith in his (or Cowher's) ability to get us to a SB.  If we think we have the talent to compete at a high level now, we should look to someone who has the possibility of taking us over the top (with the risk he may flop, of course).

567603[/snapback]

What I find interesting is the comment that he falls shy of greatness and therefore would miss the HoF if voted today.

I would like to see the argument laid out on why he would fail to make it yet Marv Levy deserved it (without question in some people's opinion). Sure, Marv has a few more AFC chamionships under his belt, but Cowher has done it longer, has had continued success, and has done it, most importantly IMHO, with different sets of players....

I could almost guarantee that some sports writer will make the argument - if we let Marv in you have to let Bill in...

What I find interesting is the comment that he falls shy of greatness and therefore would miss the HoF if voted today.

I would like to see the argument laid out on why he would fail to make it yet Marv Levy deserved it (without question in some people's opinion). Sure, Marv has a few more AFC chamionships under his belt, but Cowher has done it longer, has had continued success, and has done it, most importantly IMHO, with different sets of players....

I could almost guarantee that some sports writer will make the argument - if we let Marv in you have to let Bill in...

567617[/snapback]

Man you really hate Marv, don't you?

567617[/snapback]

I think Cower deserves HOF consideration withouot doubt. But you insist on forgetting one major thing: Marv won 4 consecutive AFC championships and took a team to FOUR STRAIGHT SUPERBOWLS. That feat has never been done and is likely to never be done again. It ranks with the greatest sports feats of all time, IMO.

Yes, it ranks below what was done with the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Yankees and Packers (i may be missing one or two more because I'm kinda drunk), but not many more. He reigned over one of the all-time great dynasties in sports.

But, if I had a vote, both Marty and Cower would go into the hall (for Christ's sake, Howie Long is in the Hall). :(

Man, you can't read for crap can you?

567629[/snapback]

:(:unsure::blink::angry:

You do seem to have a little hard-on for the dude, I gotta tell ya. I live in SF and I mention that I think Steve Young was better than Joe Montana (while never questioning Joe's greatness) and you'd think I pissed on his mother.

My guess is if you suggested that Bill Belicheck is the best coach in NFLK history, they'd lynch you in Green Bay.

You actually seem to question Marv's ability as a coach, despite what he accomplished. For a Bills fan that runs a Bills board (and the best damn board on the net, i must add) it seems like you really don't have much respect for the guy.

:(  :unsure:  :blink:  :angry:

You do seem to have a little hard-on for the dude, I gotta tell ya.  I live in SF and I mention that I think Steve Young was better than Joe Montana (while never questioning Joe's greatness) and you'd think I pissed on his mother. 

567637[/snapback]

I agree with you on that and so should anyone who's ever watched the game.

I agree with you on that and so should anyone who's ever watched the game.

567646[/snapback]

Hey...we agree on something!

I think Young's the best QB I've ever seen and i don't think it's really that close. But, that's me.

:(  :unsure:  :blink:  :angry:

You do seem to have a little hard-on for the dude, I gotta tell ya.  I live in SF and I mention that I think Steve Young was better than Joe Montana (while never questioning Joe's greatness) and you'd think I pissed on his mother. 

My guess is if you suggested that Bill Belicheck is the best coach in NFLK history, they'd lynch you in Green Bay.

You actually seem to question Marv's ability as a coach, despite what he accomplished.  For a Bills fan that runs a Bills board (and the best damn board on the net, i must add) it seems like you really don't have much respect for the guy.

567637[/snapback]

I'm not going there in this thread... :w00t:

Like I said, I would like someone to make a reasonable case why Cowher isn't a HoF caliber coach especially if you contrast his qualifications with Marv's. I found it interesting that this article from Pitt. was so definitive about him NOT being worthy (despite 130 wins and averaging 10 wins per season, 8 division titles, 1 SB appearance... all with one of the most frugal owners in the league).

I suppose my lack of ball washing for Marv means I will forever receive knee-jerk responses from people, but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Hey...we agree on something! 

Keep that under your hat, ya liberal pole smoker. :(

I think Young's the best QB I've ever seen and i don't think it's really that close.  But, that's me.

567652[/snapback]

I agree with that, too. I didn't see Otto Graham or Johnny Unitas (my dad's choices) but there wasn't anything Young couldn't do - and do very well. We'd have run Montana out of Buffalo because his noodle arm in a December Rich wind would've driven us nuts.

I'm not going there in this thread... :blink:

Like I said, I would like someone to make a reasonable case why Cowher isn't a HoF caliber coach especially if you contrast his qualifications with Marv's.  I found it interesting that this article from Pitt. was so definitive about him NOT being worthy (despite 130 wins and averaging 10 wins per  season, 8 division titles, 1 SB appearance... all with one of the most frugal owners in the league).

I suppose my lack of ball washing for Marv means I will forever receive knee-jerk responses from people, but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

567653[/snapback]

Damn...I almost successfully jacked this thread. :(

So, back to your original point (which, I re-state, I agree with).

There's an easy way out, SDS. just give Marv a lick or two. That's all we ask. A couple of (well deserving) strokes of the tongue. :unsure:

567653[/snapback]

Sorry, didn't mean to strike a nerve. Just seems like you've been really adament lately about pointing out Marv's flaws...to the point of an obsession. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, in the desire to maintain perspective on what is a normally one-sided debate around here.

But personally, I think Marv is very deserving of his Hall of Fame induction with the 19 other immortalized coaches. First consider that Marv pretty much owned another HOF coach who we'd all agree was a given HOF'er (Shula). Then, if you look at conference titles as being on par with the old NFL/AAFC/AFL titles of the pre-Super Bowl years...which I do....you'll see that Levy fits in very well with the bottom tier HOF coaches.

Now as to Cowher, he's pretty close to being in this elite HOF class. His regular season winning percentage and division titles are about equal with Levy. But at this point, Cowher's 1 conference title doesn't quite match up to Levy's 4 straight. And all those home playoff losses of his are truly shameful. Only a Super Bowl ring or at least 2 more conference titles can make up for that, IMO.

Your argument about Cowher doing well with different sets of players is interesting. Levy doesn't have that, but then again neither do many of the other coaches currently in the HOF. So I'm not sure if this is necessarily a negative mark on Levy.

These points were discussed in another thread. Cowher, Marty Schott, Chuck Knox etc. They can usually get 10 wins out of their team during the regular season. But they have been accused of playing not to lose in the post season, which is probably true. You can't go too conservative in the playoffs, worrying about turnovers and field position while forgetting to put points up on the board.

Much like players, coaches have to turn it up another level during the playoffs. Some are unable to.

I'm not going there in this thread... :(

Like I said, I would like someone to make a reasonable case why Cowher isn't a HoF caliber coach especially if you contrast his qualifications with Marv's.  I found it interesting that this article from Pitt. was so definitive about him NOT being worthy (despite 130 wins and averaging 10 wins per  season, 8 division titles, 1 SB appearance... all with one of the most frugal owners in the league).

567653[/snapback]

re cowher, why are we even talking about this? he's only 48 and has a long career in front of him. he's not retiring from the nfl any time soon. who knows what will happen in the next 10 years.

There's a video of The Dean pissing on Montana's mother?

567938[/snapback]

It's not like it sounds, really. We did this little "art film" in the late 80's. It was real pee (not simulated)...but, I was acting. I didn't really enjoy it. I mean I went home later and peed on my girlfriend for real...ya know?

:w00t: