We should care about who coach/play here

Who cares if Willis - or anyone else for that matter - "wants" to be in Buffalo?  If Player X hates Buffalo and everyone in it, but goes out every Sunday and busts his ass because he wants nothing more than to win for his teammates and employer, I can't see the problem.

567229[/snapback]

Simple question: why should I root for the Bills if they couldn't care less about me or my city?

You'ld have to be a sap.

Simple question:  why should I root for the Bills if they couldn't care less about me or my city?

You'ld have to be a sap.

567583[/snapback]

Do you honestly believe half these players "care" about Buffalo? Most of them don't even live here. Sure some guys say they want to win for the fans because they've been "waiting for a winner" or because "they deserve it," but the fact of the matter is in the modern era of sports there are no loyalties like like.

Players play for their teammates and coaches and themselves. To be the best at what they do. The fans and community they play for are largely a secondary consideration. If you don't want to be a sap by rooting for players who don't care about Buffalo, I'm sure there are a few notable Bills you should quit supporting (most notably our me-first running back).

I, on the other hand, am going to keep rooting for him and others because this is a business and even though they may hate Buffalo, I believe certain of those players are dedicated to winning a championship.

Simple question:  why should I root for the Bills if they couldn't care less about me or my city?

You'ld have to be a sap.

567583[/snapback]

Another thing: I don't mean to suggest these players HATE us or hate Buffalo, but their desire to win for the community is transferable. They have no REAL loyalty to us or the community, it just happens to be where they are at this moment in their career. And I'm fine with that.

If you wanted to populate a roster solely with guys who love Buffalo and its fans, you're going to have a hard time fielding a team.

Like many of you, I love my old home town.  And I takes great pride (and grief) showing my Bills pride.  What I can't stand are people who play or coach the Bills who look at it as a ticket to their next gig.

I often wonder how much the players and coaches on the Bills understand what the team means to its fans.  How they carry the city on their shoulders when they hit the field.

I guess that's why Jim Haslett appeals to me as the Bills new HC.  He gets it.  His wife is a native.  (FYI: she has been on Haz's case for years to getthe Bills job!!) 

With Haz and Levy in charge, I think they would make players understand what they are playing for.  Not just personal glory, but the chance to make history, like the Red Sox did when they beat their curse.  Each player on on a future Super Bowl Champion Bills team would be revered for all-time.

I want a team of guys who get it.

PTR

567016[/snapback]

Why are we supposed to put our faith in someone just because this is where they want to be or because his wife is from Buffalo? That's an icing on the cake factor, NOT a reason for hiring him. Jim Haslett has a below average record, period. His teams were undisciplined and they were known for not living up to their potential. The Haslett detractors are looking for a head coach that will instill hard play and discipline to the Bills. Who cares if Haslett wants to be here, some fans don't want him here because we're looking for a winner not a guy with pom poms.

Jim Haslett has a below average record, period. His teams were undisciplined and they were known for not living up to their potential.

567840[/snapback]

:( With the exception of the Katrina season, Haslett only posted one losing record in 5 seasons and that was a 7-9 record. The only reason he is even on the market is he lost a power struggle with a simply brutal owner and GM.

:( With the exception of the Katrina season, Haslett only posted one losing record in 5 seasons and that was a 7-9 record. The only reason he is even on the market is he lost a power struggle with a simply brutal owner and GM.

567848[/snapback]

Oops! I forgot, we're striving for mediocrity here. :unsure:

No thanks. Here's hoping the Bills land the next Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis or John Fox.

Like many of you, I love my old home town.  And I takes great pride (and grief) showing my Bills pride.  What I can't stand are people who play or coach the Bills who look at it as a ticket to their next gig.

I often wonder how much the players and coaches on the Bills understand what the team means to its fans.  How they carry the city on their shoulders when they hit the field.

I guess that's why Jim Haslett appeals to me as the Bills new HC.  He gets it.  His wife is a native.  (FYI: she has been on Haz's case for years to getthe Bills job!!) 

With Haz and Levy in charge, I think they would make players understand what they are playing for.  Not just personal glory, but the chance to make history, like the Red Sox did when they beat their curse.  Each player on on a future Super Bowl Champion Bills team would be revered for all-time.

I want a team of guys who get it.

PTR

567016[/snapback]

Nice post PTR and I agree 100% with you and I hope at least some of the players do also.