We should care about who coach/play here

Like many of you, I love my old home town. And I takes great pride (and grief) showing my Bills pride. What I can't stand are people who play or coach the Bills who look at it as a ticket to their next gig.

I often wonder how much the players and coaches on the Bills understand what the team means to its fans. How they carry the city on their shoulders when they hit the field.

I guess that's why Jim Haslett appeals to me as the Bills new HC. He gets it. His wife is a native. (FYI: she has been on Haz's case for years to getthe Bills job!!)

With Haz and Levy in charge, I think they would make players understand what they are playing for. Not just personal glory, but the chance to make history, like the Red Sox did when they beat their curse. Each player on on a future Super Bowl Champion Bills team would be revered for all-time.

I want a team of guys who get it.

PTR

I dont think anyone is going to question Haslett's passion for the Bills job if he gets his chance. He's stated a bunch of times getting the Bills HC gig would be his dream job, and as you stated...has oodles of ties to the city and the team.

Would he be passionate as our new HC? Yep...ten times more than Mularkey or Williams were.

Does he have the talent to rebuild this team into winners? Now THAT is really the key question...and I didnt see much out of him in New Orleans aside from that first year he was there (2000 I think) to make me think he can.

PTR--it may be sappy and sentimental, but I somewhat agree with you.

Buffalo is unique in culture and outlook...its just a quirky and wonderful place. Many of us on this board have lived a ton of places (7 for me and my crew including--Miami, Minneapolis, DC, Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, now Raleigh)--there is no place that is more loyal to and passionate about a franchise with the possible exception of Green Bay. A person who begins the greatest job in the community (Coach of the Bills) with this understanding goes a long way toward respect with the fans...

But I also look at it another way...outsiders have been accepted--Saban, Knox, Levy were all outsiders -- so was Polian..but they all had enthusiasm and a plan the fans bought into--they all had some bad years but their teams played hard and they made progress..they were all teachers and they were brutually honest...so more than commitment to community--I think the traits Marv outlined yesterday--

1) Ability to delegate and manage

2) Teach

3) Honesty

are pretty good traits on which to focus...

This is beloved Marv's first major decision--anyone want to argue that he won't do much better than TD's two choices....I sure wouldn't want to make that case....

PTR--it may be sappy and sentimental, but I somewhat agree with you. 

Buffalo is unique in culture and outlook...its just a quirky and wonderful place.  Many of us on this board have lived a ton of places (7 for me and my crew including--Miami, Minneapolis, DC, Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, now Raleigh)--there is no place that is more loyal to and passionate about a franchise with the possible exception of Green Bay.  A person who begins the greatest job in the community (Coach of the Bills) with this understanding goes a long way toward respect with the fans...

But I also look at it another way...outsiders have been accepted--Saban, Knox, Levy were all outsiders -- so was Polian..but they all had enthusiasm and a plan the fans bought into--they all had some bad years but their teams played hard and they made progress..they were all teachers and they were brutually honest...so more than commitment to community--I think the traits Marv outlined yesterday--

1) Ability to delegate and manage

2) Teach

3) Honesty

are pretty good traits on which to focus...

This is beloved Marv's first major decision--anyone want to argue that he won't do much better than TD's two choices....I sure wouldn't want to make that case....

567035[/snapback]

Whether they are outsiders is not my point...it's whether they understand the city and what the team means to it. They can be from anywhere as long as they love the Bills and want to be coaching or playing there for the fans. I have a hunch guys like Gregg WIlliams and Willis McGahee saw/see it as a layover.

PTR

Agreed on Willis but I think it's unfair criticism of Gregg Williams. He failed, bottom line. He was a first-time head coach who was in over his head. He liked Buffalo and if it were his choice, he would have been successful and stuck around for a long time.

As for Willis, that one's obvious.

I have a hunch guys like Gregg WIlliams and Willis McGahee saw/see it as a layover.

PTR

567043[/snapback]

Who cares if Willis - or anyone else for that matter - "wants" to be in Buffalo?  If Player X hates Buffalo and everyone in it, but goes out every Sunday and busts his ass because he wants nothing more than to win for his teammates and employer, I can't see the problem.

567229[/snapback]

No problem, but I do get PTRs point. I was really hoping for Haz back when Williams was being interviewed, but the timing just didn't work.

The problem now, I suppose, is that after reading some stuff on JH, I'm not so sure he's actually a good coach. If the Bills hire him I'll give him some time and hope. Nothing could be better then combining competency and the respect for my home town.

Promo is absolutely right! You want people who WANT to be in Buffalo. That in itself creates a good winning environment. Not people afraid of the cold (over half the NFL is in the NE and midwest so players need to get over it). This is Haslett's dream job! Nobody else mentioned, other than Cottrell would consider this their dream job. They understand the community, the environment etc... I think the whole aura of the program would change for the better with Haslett. I think he really would do everything possible to make this work at his "dream job." He may not be the best coach out there, but he may very well be the best coach for the Bills.

Promo is absolutely right!  You want people who WANT to be in Buffalo.  That in itself creates a good winning environment.  Not people afraid of the cold (over half the NFL is in the NE and midwest so players need to get over it).  This is Haslett's dream job!  Nobody else mentioned, other than Cottrell would consider this their dream job.  They understand the community, the environment etc...  I think the whole aura of the program would change for the better with Haslett.  I think he really would do everything possible to make this work at his "dream job."  He may not be the best coach out there, but he may very well be the best coach for the Bills.

567241[/snapback]

I see the point you and others are trying to make, and I think its a valid one. But again... I want the best man for the job. A coach who's going to come in and dedicate himself to winning each and every football game he coaches. If he hates the cold, doesn't like wings, things beef on weck is disgusting, etc. I don't mind... just so long as he's committed to the business who employs him, his fellow employees, and wants nothing more than to bring home the hardware.

WINNING builds an "aura," not someone who's rah-rah about the city he coaches in.

Agreed on Willis but I think it's unfair criticism of Gregg Williams. He failed, bottom line.  He was a first-time head coach who was in over his head.  He liked Buffalo and if it were his choice, he would have been successful and stuck around for a long time.

As for Willis, that one's obvious.

567139[/snapback]

Both Gregg Williams and Donahoe were both control freaks and failed to delegate enough, IMO. Gross overmanagement. Reminds me of 70s when Jimmy Carter was notoriously overseeing the White House tennis court schedule as Commander in Chief while Russia was marching into Afghanistan. I think there was a subtle dig at Donahoe made by Marv when he said he's not going to be worrying about the potholes in the parking lot.

I also think Marv was likely alluding to Willis when he said he wanted players with high character.

Both Gregg Williams and Donahoe were both control freaks and failed to delegate enough, IMO. Gross overmanagement. Reminds me of 70s when Jimmy Carter was notoriously overseeing the White House tennis court schedule as Commander in Chief while Russia was marching into Afghanistan. I think there was a subtle dig at Donahoe made by Marv when he said he's not going to be worrying about the potholes in the parking lot.

I also think Marv was likely alluding to Willis when he said he wanted players with high character.

567281[/snapback]

Mike Martz sux.

Actually a good example to show what a guy who wants to be in Buffalo will do, take a look at none other than Travis Henry. Despite his faults, he played hurt and put up some decent rushing yardage, probably playing over his head. And that's because the Bills were his favorite team growing up. I wouldn't mind Haslett at all because I think he'll put that little extra into the job. Although I hope he can land some of the top coordinators (read: ex-HC's) that are out there.

I have to agree Promo - I am not much of a Haslett guy - but I think that all Bills personnel should be in Buffalo..except maybe the owner...I am not a fan of Modrak not being in town...

567308[/snapback]

Well, Modrak's job is to be on the road scouting, so I don't see it as any big deal. I was talking more coaches/players.

PTR

Actually a good example to show what a guy who wants to be in Buffalo will do, take a look at none other than Travis Henry.  Despite his faults, he played hurt and put up some decent rushing yardage, probably playing over his head.  And that's because the Bills were his favorite team growing up.  I wouldn't mind Haslett at all because I think he'll put that little extra into the job.  Although I hope he can land some of the top coordinators (read: ex-HC's) that are out there.

567283[/snapback]

I disagree. Henry played tough and hurt because that's Henry. He coulda been in Oakland, Seattle, St. Louis, wherever... he'd still play with broken ribs and legs. Again, winning is the cure-all. If the Bills were opening up holes for Willis like other running backs get and the Bills were winning games, Willis would love Buffalo. You never like where you are when you're losing.

Again, gimmie guys who don't care about Buffalo but dominate on the field over guys who love Buffalo but don't have what it takes. Goes for coaches and players.

Like many of you, I love my old home town.  And I takes great pride (and grief) showing my Bills pride.  What I can't stand are people who play or coach the Bills who look at it as a ticket to their next gig.

I often wonder how much the players and coaches on the Bills understand what the team means to its fans.  How they carry the city on their shoulders when they hit the field.

I guess that's why Jim Haslett appeals to me as the Bills new HC.  He gets it.  His wife is a native.  (FYI: she has been on Haz's case for years to getthe Bills job!!) 

With Haz and Levy in charge, I think they would make players understand what they are playing for.  Not just personal glory, but the chance to make history, like the Red Sox did when they beat their curse.  Each player on on a future Super Bowl Champion Bills team would be revered for all-time.

PTR

567016[/snapback]

Amen! Nuff said.

Amen!  Nuff said.

567323[/snapback]

Who cares if they "get it" and know how badly Buffalo wants a ring? You think Belicheck or Brady care about winning a Super Bowl for the New England region? Or that David Ortiz cares about winning for Red Sox Nation?

These guys want to win because they want to be the best at what they do - if they have no idea about "what it means to be a Bill" or have zero concept of Bills history, I couldn't care less so long as they're dedicated to being the best team possible.

Like many of you, I love my old home town.  And I takes great pride (and grief) showing my Bills pride.  What I can't stand are people who play or coach the Bills who look at it as a ticket to their next gig.

I often wonder how much the players and coaches on the Bills understand what the team means to its fans.  How they carry the city on their shoulders when they hit the field.

I guess that's why Jim Haslett appeals to me as the Bills new HC.  He gets it.  His wife is a native.  (FYI: she has been on Haz's case for years to getthe Bills job!!) 

With Haz and Levy in charge, I think they would make players understand what they are playing for.  Not just personal glory, but the chance to make history, like the Red Sox did when they beat their curse.  Each player on on a future Super Bowl Champion Bills team would be revered for all-time.

PTR

567016[/snapback]

Great post....I totally agree. I'm proud to have grown up in Upstate NY and I think the Bills need an infusion of pride to match that of their fan base. Haslett brings that, and I'm all for him as our next coach.