Mort on GameDay

FWIW

Glenn Parker  was on WGR yesterday praising Sean Payton as a brilliant offensive mind who has the universal respect of his players.

566726[/snapback]

He had Drew looking Pro Bowl like until the oline got hurt in Dallas this year. In fact if Adams doesn't go down they probably would have won that division. Well that and the Safeties learning to cover 2 deep against the redskins in the final 2 minutes of games. :devil:

How could they possibly interview Gray?  If SDS's report the other day was correct, and Gray essentially threw in the towel two weeks before the season ended and stopped trying, why would they even consider him?

566737[/snapback]

Because that story likely isn't true. First of all, if a guy "threw in the towel" it would be easy for players and other coaches to spot. Second, once it were spotted, you really mean to tell me an entire locker room of coaches and players would keep that under wraps? I don't think so...

Just said Bills have gotten permission to talk to Cowboys OC Sean Payton, will interview Jerry Gray, and Dick Jaron should pay attention "even though the people's choice is Haslett."

566724[/snapback]

Sean Payton works for me.

Bills | Rivera's name surfacing

Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:45:07 -0800

K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera's name has come up in conjunction with the Buffalo Bills head coaching opening.

This from KFFL.

And the obligatory downside link.

566734[/snapback]

Parcells also yanked the play-calling from Payton last year. Parcells this year also called out some of the play-calling on the offense.

I'd rather have Haslett, and I think Haslett sucks.

never been a head coach before= two three or even four years to "learn on the job". Bills have been there done that. No thanks. There are other coaches out there who have atleast had some experience running a team. Im tired of the Bills being the jv and having new head coaches get their feet wet here then getting fired after a few years when they dont produce wins.

never been a head coach before= two three or even four years to "learn on the job". Bills have been there done that. No thanks. There are other coaches out there who have atleast had some experience running a team. Im tired of the Bills being the jv and having new head coaches get their feet wet here then getting fired after a few years when they dont produce wins.

566762[/snapback]

The problem is that these experienced head coaches you speak of have experience in failing and getting fired as head coaches.

Look at the coaches in the playoffs this weekend. Only two of them were successfull after falling on their face in their first stints as head coaches. The other six were exactly the right fit in their first gig. You can't rule out first time coaching candidates for this reason alone. That's not even including Marvin Lewis who is obviously a success in Cincy. I got to tell you I'm not excited at all at the prospects of getting a Jim Haslett or Jim Fassel just because they were head coaches before. These two guys have had teams quit on them big time, not my idea of a good qualification for the Bills head coaching position.

Seattle - Holmgren (1st time success in Green Bay)

Washington - Gibbs (1st time success in Washington)

New England - Belichik (failed in Cleveland)

Denver - Shanahan (failed in Oakland)

Chicago - Smith (1st time success)

Carolina - Fox (1st time success)

Indianapolis - Dungy (1st time success in Tampa)

Steelers - Cower (1st time success)

I'd still take a chance on a 1st time coach than a retread if the guy seems like the right one for us.

566905[/snapback]

Belichek's failure in Cleveland may not even have been entirely his fault. The Mid 90s Browns organization were a mess from the top down (similar to the mid 2000s Bills).

And as far as Shanahan's failure in Oakland, consider the owner

Belichek's failure in Cleveland may not even have been entirely his fault.  The Mid 90s Browns organization were a mess from the top down (similar to the mid 2000s Bills). 

And as far as Shanahan's failure in Oakland, consider the owner

566920[/snapback]

My point was to show how many head coaches succeed in their first jobs. It was not to breakdown the reason's for Belichik's and Shanahan's downfalls.

The problem is that these experienced head coaches you speak of have experience in failing and getting fired as head coaches.

Look at the coaches in the playoffs this weekend. Only two of them were successfull after falling on their face in their first stints as head coaches. The other six were exactly the right fit in their first gig. You can't rule out first time coaching candidates for this reason alone. That's not even including Marvin Lewis who is obviously a success in Cincy. I got to tell you I'm not excited at all at the prospects of getting a Jim Haslett or Jim Fassel just because they were head coaches before. These two guys have had teams quit on them big time, not my idea of a good qualification for the Bills head coaching position.

Seattle - Holmgren (1st time success in Green Bay)

Washington - Gibbs (1st time success in Washington)

Chicago - Smith (1st time success)

Carolina - Fox (1st time success)

Indianapolis - Dungy (1st time success in Tampa)

Steelers - Cower (1st time success)

I'd still take a chance on a 1st time coach than a retread if the guy seems like the right one for us.

566905[/snapback]

Exactly - Mularkey & Williams most likely failed because they're not good at coaching, not because they were 1st time coaches.