Sherman, Fassel, and Haslett

silvermike

I know we're all frustrated with first time coaches, but these three bums aren't the way to solve that mess. Why in the hell would we want a coach who's been *less* successful than Mike Mularkey? Capers has one winning season in his entire career, and went 7-9 and 2-14 in seasons where MM put up 9-7 and 5-11 records.

Haslett hasn't had a playoff season since his first, and also posted worse records than Mularkey in 2004 and 2005 (8-8, 3-13). He probably deserves a pass for 2005, but they embarassed themselves this year, bad. Mediocrity, plain and simple.

Fassel had his Super Bowl run, but it seems like the real success story there was John Fox. The team only had one playoff appearance after he left, that embarassment vs. the 49ers. After that, they went 4-12, losing eight straight games. Other than 24 points in their last game that season, they were held under 14 for the rest of that stretch. They quit on him, and that's the last thing we want. Meanwhile, Fassel went on to be the OC for the Ravens, who despite having a great offensive line and a top-shelf receiver in Derrick Mason and a great tight end in Todd Heap, totally crapped the bed in 2005.

Fired coaches have been fired for a reason. The only hope is to drag someone out of retirement (Dick Vermeil's made noises, and there's always the puker of Jimmy Johnson.) We don't want someone else's trash.

Where is your argument against Sherman...Not a single word.....Sherman

record prior to this year is as follows:

Sherman has compiled an impressive list of accomplishments en route to a 55-31 overall record in his five seasons as Green Bay's head coach. Among them are:

Three straight (NFC North) division titles for only the fourth time in team history, joining Lombardi's three-time winners of 1960-62 and 1965-67, along with the 1995-97 division champions of Mike Holmgren;

Four consecutive playoff appearances;

Five straight winning seasons (9-7 in 2000, 12-4 in 2001 and '02, 10-6 in 2003 and '04);

Reaching 50 career victories, including playoffs, second fastest among the Packers' 13 head coaches;

Three of the Packers' six winning records on the road over the past 36 seasons, including last year's 6-2 mark away from home - Green Bay's best since 1972; and

A 20-4 regular-season record (.833) Dec. 1 or later - best in the NFL the past five seasons - including a perfect 4-0 in both 2000 and 2003 (the Packers have a plus-28 turnover ratio in those 24 games).

Where is your argument against Sherman...Not a single word.....Sherman

record prior to this year is as follows:

564994[/snapback]

Every time I watch a Packer game, even when I don't have a rooting interest, I invaribly end up screaming at the TV "What are they doing? Why are they punting/going for it?" He's just not a good coach.

I know we're all frustrated with first time coaches, but these three bums aren't the way to solve that mess.  Why in the hell would we want a coach who's been *less* successful than Mike Mularkey?  Capers has one winning season in his entire career, and went 7-9 and 2-14 in seasons where MM put up 9-7 and 5-11 records. 

Haslett hasn't had a playoff season since his first, and also posted worse records than Mularkey in 2004 and 2005 (8-8, 3-13).  He probably deserves a pass for 2005, but they embarassed themselves this year, bad.  Mediocrity, plain and simple.

Fassel had his Super Bowl run, but it seems like the real success story there was John Fox.  The team only had one playoff appearance after he left, that embarassment vs. the 49ers.  After that, they went 4-12, losing eight straight games.  Other than 24 points in their last game that season, they were held under 14 for the rest of that stretch.  They quit on him, and that's the last thing we want.  Meanwhile, Fassel went on to be the OC for the Ravens, who despite having a great offensive line and a top-shelf receiver in Derrick Mason and a great tight end in Todd Heap, totally crapped the bed in 2005.

Fired coaches have been fired for a reason.  The only hope is to drag someone out of retirement (Dick Vermeil's made noises, and there's always the puker of Jimmy Johnson.)  We don't want someone else's trash.

564959[/snapback]

I don't think Capers is a bad coach, but that doesn't mean I want him here either. I agree on the other 2. I'm not sure I could handle Vermeil crying all the time...it gets old. I think it would have to be a specific case for a college coach. A lot of these guys have difficulty in making the transition. I think instead of some of the real high-profile colleges, you may have to look at some programs like Boise State, Fresno State, Utah, etc. for guys who really have to coach to make their small schools competetive. I'm afraid of a Spurrier situation where he continually got the best athletes and didn't necessarily have to be the best coach during his last seasons at Florida.

I'll take Vermeil in a heartbeat over all these other guys - even though it would give us the oldest organization ever in any business.

564992[/snapback]

Vermeil's constant blubbering is annoying and disturbing. Even so, he is a proven coach and winner. I would take him as well.

I forgot to mention Mike Sherman.  He is significantly better than the rest of the lot, but he had #4 the whole time, and when he went bad, the team couldn't play it's way out of a box.

565015[/snapback]

When you lost 3/5th of your starting OL, your starting TE, starting RB, backup RB, backup-backup RB, backup-backup-backup-RB, startang WR, and to top it one

of the weakest defense in the league.....how are you going to win even with #4

behind your center ?

I agree Mike Sherman stunk up the joint as the GM...but as a coach I think he

did a wonderful job...plus he understands the blue-collar small town mentaility...

I forgot to mention Mike Sherman.  He is significantly better than the rest of the lot, but he had #4 the whole time, and when he went bad, the team couldn't play it's way out of a box.

565015[/snapback]

i guess losing the OL starters in FA and the #1 WR and the #1 RB to injury had nothing to do with anything.

When you lost  3/5th of your starting OL, your starting TE, starting RB, backup RB, backup-backup RB, backup-backup-backup-RB,  startang WR, and to top it one

of the weakest defense in the league.....how are you going to win even with #4

behind your center ?

I agree Mike Sherman stunk up the joint as the GM...but as a coach I think he

did a wonderful job...plus he understands the blue-collar small town mentaility...

565025[/snapback]

So what you're saying is Mike Sherman seems absolutely perfect for the Bills job and has the potential to lead this team out of the bog they've wandered into?

*DING*

But Jim Haslett played for us once! Haslett! Haslett! Haslett! <_<

I agree with you, Sherman is my #1 choice...but it wont happen. Levy and Wilson will go the "familiar" route and take either Haslett or Cottrell.

I know we're all frustrated with first time coaches, but these three bums aren't the way to solve that mess.  Why in the hell would we want a coach who's been *less* successful than Mike Mularkey?  Capers has one winning season in his entire career, and went 7-9 and 2-14 in seasons where MM put up 9-7 and 5-11 records. 

Haslett hasn't had a playoff season since his first, and also posted worse records than Mularkey in 2004 and 2005 (8-8, 3-13).  He probably deserves a pass for 2005, but they embarassed themselves this year, bad.  Mediocrity, plain and simple.

Fassel had his Super Bowl run, but it seems like the real success story there was John Fox.  The team only had one playoff appearance after he left, that embarassment vs. the 49ers.  After that, they went 4-12, losing eight straight games.  Other than 24 points in their last game that season, they were held under 14 for the rest of that stretch.  They quit on him, and that's the last thing we want.  Meanwhile, Fassel went on to be the OC for the Ravens, who despite having a great offensive line and a top-shelf receiver in Derrick Mason and a great tight end in Todd Heap, totally crapped the bed in 2005.

Fired coaches have been fired for a reason.  The only hope is to drag someone out of retirement (Dick Vermeil's made noises, and there's always the puker of Jimmy Johnson.)  We don't want someone else's trash.

564959[/snapback]

correct me if I'm wrong but some great coaches do get fired the first time around.

Marv was fired with KC

There is some guy coaching NE who got fired with Cleveland

sometimes coaches learn what they did wrong the first time and they get it right the second.

The last two clowns we have had brought zero experience adn that didn't work all too well. I'm all for getting a re-hire, especially someone like Mike Sherman.

Yeah your right, no coach that has been fired will be successful anywhere else in the league cause they were fired. Billicheck has always coached the Patriots, it was his only experience at Head coach, Same with Gruden, only experience coaching the Bucs.

565039[/snapback]

Is this supposed to be clever? As if Gruden didn't turn a bubmling Raiders franchise into a SB team?

Every time I watch a Packer game, even when I don't have a rooting interest, I invaribly end up screaming at the TV "What are they doing? Why are they punting/going for it?" He's just not a good coach.

Mike Sheman would be breasts. I wanted him after Green Bay fired him and we were cleaning house, but decide to stay with lamb duck MM. Now that he's gone I say we go for MS. He's the best coach out there right now, he has experience (good experience) and all he knows is how to win. This year wasn't his fault, I can't beleive Green Bay got ride of him.

Has I remeber Marv Levy never went for it when it was close, he also ran when should have passed and passed when he should have run, but he did get us to four super bowls. So i'll take the screaming if it gets us to another super bowl.